Author Topic: Call Golden State and Chicago  (Read 2899 times)

Call Golden State and Chicago
« on: January 08, 2024, 05:49:29 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
With Chris Paul going down for 4-6 weeks it's time to call Golden State.  Jonathan Kuminga seems to be unhappy it seems and we have a point guard that could help them now and later.  Kuminga would also be the perfect player for this year, next with a PO an after Horford retires. 

Celtics - Payton Pritchard, Svi Mykhailiuk, our 2024 1st
Warriors - Jonathan Kuminga

I'm still not sold on Luke Kornet being the center we could rely on.  I'm trying to trade him to Chicago with a second for an Andre Drummond.  Just because a lot of nights we're getting killed on the boards and Drummond would be an instant fix to this problem.  Also Drummond lately has shown when needing to play 30 minutes a night, he's able to still and in that time is putting up 10+ points and 15+ rebounds. 

With sending a 2 for 1 for Kuminga it leaves a roster spot open.  My ideal candidate would to be go after a veteran like John Wall.  Adding a proven veteran who still has gas in the tank.  Last year playing 34 games for the Clippers he was able to play 22 mpg, put up 11 ppg, 5 apg, shooting 40% and 30% from 3, while getting almost a steal a game.  I'm sure other options are available with the point guard position whether FA or a small trade. 

I'm thinking though the major part of this trade post being Kuminga, he'd be the player that would really put the Celtics clear above everybody even more.

Re: Call Golden State and Chicago
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 07:14:22 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
With Chris Paul going down for 4-6 weeks it's time to call Golden State.  Jonathan Kuminga seems to be unhappy it seems and we have a point guard that could help them now and later.  Kuminga would also be the perfect player for this year, next with a PO an after Horford retires. 

I'm still not sold on Luke Kornet being the center we could rely on.  I'm trying to trade him to Chicago with a second for an Andre Drummond.  Just because a lot of nights we're getting killed on the boards and Drummond would be an instant fix to this problem.  Also Drummond lately has shown when needing to play 30 minutes a night, he's able to still and in that time is putting up 10+ points and 15+ rebounds. 

With sending a 2 for 1 for Kuminga it leaves a roster spot open.  My ideal candidate would to be go after a veteran like John Wall.  Adding a proven veteran who still has gas in the tank.  Last year playing 34 games for the Clippers he was able to play 22 mpg, put up 11 ppg, 5 apg, shooting 40% and 30% from 3, while getting almost a steal a game.  I'm sure other options are available with the point guard position whether FA or a small trade. 

I'm thinking though the major part of this trade post being Kuminga, he'd be the player that would really put the Celtics clear above everybody even more.
currently, the celtics are the top rebounding team in the nba at 55.7 a game.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/total-rebounds-per-game
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 08:54:57 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla

Honestly didn't realize we were first in rebounds.  It just feels like it some nights.  Plus I wonder if it's cause we have such great guards in White and Holiday who seem to grab rebounds.  I still would love to add Drummond to help the second unit.  Beside the rebound part of the post, what do you think about trading for Kuminga?

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 11:16:31 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
Drummond is a detriment everywhere else but rebounding. Why are people so hung up on him?

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 04:49:37 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
Drummond is a detriment everywhere else but rebounding. Why are people so hung up on him?

How do you figure?  Yes, he can't shoot freed throws but everything else he still is productive.  He would fill the need of an actual center instead of Luke Kornet.  Last 7 games and one of them he played starter minutes and can still put up over a 20 ppg and 20 rpg.  Also he's doing this in Chicago without getting fed easy buckets, easy rebounds and a good team. 

MPG    PPG     FG     RPB      BPG
23       21      9-12   15        0
23       7        3-7     10        3
30       13      5-12   16        1
28       11      5-13   17        1
30       15      6-8     23        3
21       7        3-9     13        0
38       24     11-13   25        2

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 08:27:24 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Kuminga would be a terrible fit. He wants more minutes and to put up stats. He’s unhappy in GS. Last thing this team needs right now.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2024, 07:59:08 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

How do you figure?  Yes, he can't shoot freed throws but everything else he still is productive.  He would fill the need of an actual center instead of Luke Kornet.  Last 7 games and one of them he played starter minutes and can still put up over a 20 ppg and 20 rpg.  Also he's doing this in Chicago without getting fed easy buckets, easy rebounds and a good team. 

MPG    PPG     FG     RPB      BPG
23       21      9-12   15        0
23       7        3-7     10        3
30       13      5-12   16        1
28       11      5-13   17        1
30       15      6-8     23        3
21       7        3-9     13        0
38       24     11-13   25        2
I'd be happy to get Drummond for cheap.  BUT, he would need to be instructed to kick it out to ANYONE else on offensive rebounds (other than simple put-backs). His poor FT shooting makes him a target to foul every time.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 08:07:57 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2024, 08:34:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'd rather just absorb Kuminga into the TPE (give GS back their 1st and maybe a couple 2nd's) and trade an end of bench guy and a 2nd for Drummond.

No reason to trade PP for a wing or to trade Kornet in what is basically a salary dump of Drummond
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 09:02:38 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I'd rather just absorb Kuminga into the TPE (give GS back their 1st and maybe a couple 2nd's) and trade an end of bench guy and a 2nd for Drummond.

No reason to trade PP for a wing or to trade Kornet in what is basically a salary dump of Drummond

Didn’t we already give up the GS #1 in the Holiday trade?

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 12:37:20 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla

You have to make a trade with players as our roster is full.  GS would want more then a TPE for Kuminga and Pritchard would be a need for them with Paul out for a while now.  If they don't want Pritchard they wouldn't be interested in anything else.  As for Drummond, you have to trade Kornet as you're not going to carry him too. 

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2024, 01:45:41 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

Honestly didn't realize we were first in rebounds.  It just feels like it some nights.  Plus I wonder if it's cause we have such great guards in White and Holiday who seem to grab rebounds.  I still would love to add Drummond to help the second unit.  Beside the rebound part of the post, what do you think about trading for Kuminga?

I don't see total rebounds as a very telling stat.  You are supposed to get the rebound when they miss.  Opponent Offensive rebounds is what can affect the outcome of a game.  We are 23rd at 11.1 Opp-OReb per game while getting 11.3 OReb per game, so a wash more or less.  To some extent, that is not surprising in that we play guard heavy, but Opponent ORebs are additional possessions, more equivalent to a turnover in terms of impact.

I don't think Drummond helps all that much other than providing depth.  We are still going to play mostly with Porzingis or Horford on the floor as the 1 big.  He is playing better lately (at least compiling more stats) but for the last few years, he has to me looked kind of lazy and lost on the court.  Maybe the fire he had for many years is back.  If that is true, I would be all for a second round pick and part of the TPE for him.  We currently have only 14 players on the roster so we would not need to send anyone back or cut anyone.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2024, 01:55:53 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

Yes, that pick is gone.

I know Kuminga is listed as a PF but he is only 6'-7".  Only getting 4 rebs per game in 22.6 minutes.  He seems like a young player with some potential but not what we need right now in my opinion.  He is more of a Brissett with more scoring but less blue-collar mentality.  I don't see either party being happy if he ended up on our bench.

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 02:02:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

Yes, that pick is gone.

I know Kuminga is listed as a PF but he is only 6'-7".  Only getting 4 rebs per game in 22.6 minutes.  He seems like a young player with some potential but not what we need right now in my opinion.  He is more of a Brissett with more scoring but less blue-collar mentality.  I don't see either party being happy if he ended up on our bench.

Kuminga is a SF who plays PF because he can't shoot.

Edit: 166 jump shots taken this season at a 33.7% FG% or 41% eFG% adjusting for three pointers. This only counts his attempts. Not all the ones he passes up because he isn't confident enough to take them on all those occassions where the opposing team leaves him wide WIDE open because they know he won't shoot.

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2024, 02:11:31 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
If Kuminga is unhappy about not getting playing time on a .500 team then I can't imagine he'll feel any better when he gets even less playing time on a team competing for a title.

Kuminga is a guy some young up and coming team should try to get and bet on his potential, I don't see his fit on a competitor.