Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 131512 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #435 on: February 23, 2024, 12:46:35 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2560
Again, not saying I think Holliday isn’t an upgrade over Brogdon. But if your point is that it is Holliday’s first season on the Celtics. It was also Brogdon’s first season on the Celtics. Holliday has not played like an All-Star for the Celtics this season. He has been a very efficient and solid player, but not even better than Derrick White.

I view Holliday as an excellent player. But he is not indispensable. It is debatable if that was the best possible trade of those assets. It was a good trade. Just maybe not the best trade.

i think Holiday is one of those players that increases the 'sum of the parts' value that a good team tends to have. i think this team needed exactly that type of player, so i view it as the right trade.
This is how I feel as well. I do prefer Holiday to Brogdon, though that, to me, says more about Brogdon than Holiday.
Outside of the playoffs I felt good with Brogdon on the floor. Same is true with Jrue. It is such a luxury to have confidence in every player on the court.  Sometimes Jrue over dribbles or gets a little out of control; same with JB. And sometimes JT takes the inevitable iso step back three - a shot I don’t like even when he makes it. But overall, I know that every player in the top 8 can make things happen positively for this team.  Could we have kept Brogdon, Rob and the GSW pick and landed something better than Jrue? Maybe, but isn’t it better to feel that what we have in Jrue is working and leave it at that?

« Reply #436 on: February 23, 2024, 12:50:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Brogdon has played well.  He is a good player.  Not as good as Holiday, but their play this season isn't that far off.

That's because Brogdon is taking about 42% more shots per possession than Holiday. 

I see Holiday a lot like DJ.  He's still got all-star talent, but he's playing with three monsters in the front court.  He's going to pick his spots on offense while focusing on defense and making smart passes.

Holiday is the point guard league leader for 3pt % at 44.3% and I heard that he is the 3pt % league leader for all positions from the corner.  I also see a lot of DJ in Holiday.

Brogdon was 44.4% from 3 for the Celtics last season and is 41.2% this season for POR.  Again, not saying Holiday isn't really good.  But the alternate reality of Brogdon plus what we could get for RWill and 2 firsts is really good too.

I get why they grabbed Holiday when they had the opportunity.  There would have been risk in waiting to try and find a trade for RWill and the picks.  Or maybe you trade RWill and the picks for someone like Anunoby and then trade Brogdon to someone else too.

Holiday has been a good solid player for the Celtics.  All the things stated are true.  He has been steady, efficient, he had provided a steadying influence, all good.  But his play has not been at an all star level.  He does a lot of the same things that Derrick White does.  I feel it is debatable that we would be better off with Brogdon and PJ Washington or Buddy Hield or Anunoby or Gabbard, all of which are realistic players that were traded for similar packages to RWill and picks.

I'd take Jrue alone over Brogdon + Washington/Hield/Gabbard.

Jrue vs. Brogdon + Anunoby is harder, but Anunoby wouldn't have been available for Timelord + picks.  We would have had to match salary, so Brogdon is going out in that trade, too.  So, you'd basically be substituting Jrue for Anunoby, straight up.

OGA is younger, which is a big plus.  But, he's also going to be more expensive going forward, and is really a SF.  We'd lose ball-handling and movement, for a guy who would probably be scoring, rebounding and defending about the same.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #437 on: February 23, 2024, 12:55:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It's your chance to meet Employee #8:

Cameron Tabatabaie: Celtics announce @WalkerAntoine8 will be on deck this Saturday in Framingham for a watch party hosted by Jack’s Abby pic.twitter.com/WCJ06yyJwI – via Twitter CTabatabaie
[

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #438 on: February 23, 2024, 12:59:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be

Cameron Tabatabaie: Celtics announce @WalkerAntoine8 will be on deck this Saturday in Framingham for a watch party hosted by Jack’s Abby pic.twitter.com/WCJ06yyJwI – via Twitter CTabatabaie
[

That's pretty cool

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #439 on: February 23, 2024, 01:15:14 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1696
Several points to make regarding the Holiday thing.

Equating Holiday to Brogdon ignores an entire half of the game.  Holiday's offensive impact is similar to that of Brogdon when adjusting for differences in usage and role, but Holiday is a defensive monster while Brogdon... is not. 

Jrue and White do not have skillsets that suffer from redundancy.  This isn't a case of two shoot-first iso players fighting over the ball.  Versatile defensive players make each other better, not worse.  Versatile team-first offensive players make each other better, not worse.  So the idea that D White does a lot of the same things that Jrue does is not a valid argument against having both of them. 

RWilliams doesn't cleanly match salaries with most of the other guys mentioned, with the exception of Gafford.  While this is a bit of a nitpick, it does mean that we may be losing Pritchard and/or other role players in an effort to bring back one of those guys.  Arguably, keeping Brogdon (and assuming we could patch up our relationship with him, which wasn't a given) and acquiring Anunoby for RWill + PP + filler + picks (for example) would have been worth it this season, but OG is due for a substantial pay increase that we may not have been in a position to give him. 

I'm happy with our current setup.  Throw in the fact that Jrue was probably my favorite non-Celtic player before we acquired him?  No-brainer for me. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 01:30:35 PM by Atzar »

« Reply #440 on: February 23, 2024, 03:04:20 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1402

[

That's pretty cool

I thought we got to meet Abby as well  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #441 on: February 24, 2024, 04:14:47 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1254
https://twitter.com/CelticsUnite18/status/1761135435382755496

I’m torn on this one. I mean I’d love for IT to come back, but then again, we’re cooking right now as it is. The last thing we need is another “bigger voice” which might make JT and JB take a step back as the team’s leaders?

« Reply #442 on: February 24, 2024, 07:16:06 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

I’m torn on this one. I mean I’d love for IT to come back, but then again, we’re cooking right now as it is. The last thing we need is another “bigger voice” which might make JT and JB take a step back as the team’s leaders?

I doubt Brad will do something that feels gimmicky to him. If he really believes adding IT can help the team, maybe he does it but he’s not going to risk rocking the boat.  Only Al and JB played with IT - and for one season.  They’d have some idea as to whether he’d add value as a teammate or create more of a distraction.  I wasn’t on board as the biggest IT fan when he was here so I lean against it, but if Brad believes he adds value I believe Brad.

« Reply #443 on: February 24, 2024, 07:52:40 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!

Listen, if they want to sign him to be like the 14th or 15th guy and get him a ring, I'm all for it.

I wish Blake Griffin would do the same but I guess he truly is taking this season off (or possibly officially retired)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #444 on: February 24, 2024, 10:49:17 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474

He’s not an NBA player anymore. How many years have we been hearing this? 3, 4? If Brad or any other GM were interested, he’d be on a team for at least a 10 day contract. I don’t understand  why he’s not playing overseas while he still can. I mean, Kemba is playing for Monaco. Least he came to grips with where he was at. IT seems delusional at this point.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #445 on: February 24, 2024, 11:05:55 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

He’s not an NBA player anymore. How many years have we been hearing this? 3, 4? If Brad or any other GM were interested, he’d be on a team for at least a 10 day contract. I don’t understand  why he’s not playing overseas while he still can. I mean, Kemba is playing for Monaco. Least he came to grips with where he was at. IT seems delusional at this point.

Delusional or a self-promoter?
I don’t know what he’d bring to the team - something for fans to look forward to in a blowout?

« Reply #446 on: February 24, 2024, 11:39:46 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Delusional or a self-promoter?
I don’t know what he’d bring to the team - something for fans to look forward to in a blowout?

Both? He’s 35 years old and has played 25 games over the last 4 years. I’d rather give those minutes in a blowout to Springer or Davison. Just being realistic.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #447 on: February 24, 2024, 02:17:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3207

He had a great run with the Celtics but he's sadly not an NBA player anymore. Still have a lot of love for him!

« Reply #448 on: February 24, 2024, 02:20:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I'd rather bring Antoine back than IT.  I loved Thomas, but I don't think he'd just blend in as a towel waver.

« Reply #449 on: February 24, 2024, 02:22:55 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd rather bring Antoine back than IT.  I loved Thomas, but I don't think he'd just blend in as a towel waver.

Speaking of, can we get a report from someone at Jack's Abby today?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team