Author Topic: Anthony Davis isn't sold on NO.  (Read 6633 times)

Anthony Davis isn't sold on NO.
« on: March 16, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/237079/Anthony-Davis-Agents-Undecided-On-Extension-Plans-With-Pelicans

Seems like AD wants to win and who could blame him? New Orleans has failed to put a 2nd young star around him. Maybe there's a CHANCE guys lol....slim, but we can hope.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zMRrNY0pxfM

Re: Anthony Davis isn't sold on NO.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 03:31:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
hope for what? That he doesn't take the max extension New Orleans is going to offer him as soon as they possibly can?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 03:34:54 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
hope for what? That he doesn't take the max extension New Orleans is going to offer him as soon as they possibly can?

Yeah, if he turns it down, he will be the first guy to turn down a max extension on his rookie deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 03:34:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Well, would it even make sense for him to extend this offseason with the cap exploding in 2016? I know it doesn't make sense for free agents, but how would it affect rookie extensions and deals of that nature?

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 03:40:46 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32

Well, would it even make sense for him to extend this offseason with the cap exploding in 2016? I know it doesn't make sense for free agents, but how would it affect rookie extensions and deals of that nature?

With Durant's recent comments about not knowing better signing his extension, and not having much influence on management I think Davis takes maybe a 2 year deal with a player option or walks to a place with a winning culture.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 03:47:05 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

With Durant's recent comments about not knowing better signing his extension, and not having much influence on management I think Davis takes maybe a 2 year deal with a player option or walks to a place with a winning culture.

just a pipe dream, I would throw the entire roster and all the picks (anything to make it work) to grab Davis  :P

sadly, that NO would still say no

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 03:50:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

If he signs a max extension, his salaries will be based on the 2016 cap, and raises from that cap.  New Orleans should offer him the most they can -- 5 years, eligible for the 30% max if he meets the requirements, max raises of 7.5% each year.  Player option in year 5.  His first year salary in the new deal could exceed $26 million that way -- compared with the $9 million qualifying offer.

They shouldn't let him get to free agency.  And they shouldn't mess around like Minny did with Love.  Just make him the best offer from Day 1.

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 03:53:14 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

That, and that he decides he doesn't want to play in New York, Chicago, LA, Golden State, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Atlanta, Miami, Brooklyn, Cleveland, Portland or Oklahoma City.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 03:58:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

What 2 year deal with a player option is that, though? Where is this coming from?

Saltlover, who is always excellent when it comes to figures, just laid out a deal that could potentially land Davis a $26 mil./year deal. Who's going to argue against that? Davis? His agent? And risk injury/underperformance for the chance to win a few more iterations of a gym fitness game for children?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 04:03:00 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
Sign me up but it won't happen.  It's funny being a Red Sox fan because there's always a feeling that they will land big free agents on monster deals but then as a Celtics fan it feels like everyone shuns our money.  The CBA has a lot to do with that though.

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 04:12:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

What 2 year deal with a player option is that, though? Where is this coming from?

Saltlover, who is always excellent when it comes to figures, just laid out a deal that could potentially land Davis a $26 mil./year deal. Who's going to argue against that? Davis? His agent? And risk injury/underperformance for the chance to win a few more iterations of a gym fitness game for children?

I assume it's mimicking the Chandler Parsons deal, which is fine and all, but I don't think it compares favorably to the 5-year max offer.  Parsons' deal makes sense because he can either opt out when the cap rises.  Davis gets no such benefit.

Also, that 5 year deal will start at $26 million*, but average about $30 million when raises are factored in.  He'll be equal to Durant in salary, or ahead of him if KD signs elsewhere.

* - Davis would need to either a) be voted an all-star starter next year, or b) be named All-NBA this year and next, or c) win the MVP this year or next, to be eligible for that contract.  Assuming he stays healthy next year, this is virtually assured.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 04:18:47 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
This complaint seems VERY empty to me. Not only do they have invested in young talent at affordable prices, they have some cap room available to work with going forward.

In all, NO has nothing to complain about. In fact, most would have agreed that NO had a very good team coming into this year.

So seriously, not sure what this dude is complaining about at this stage of his career about failing to add a star around him... particularly when you consider they traded for an all-star PG, currently injured as he may be.

Edit: My post seems like it's completely misplaced. Only read the OPs post, so thought AD was complaining about the talent, yet I don't see anything like that in the link provided.

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 04:31:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I don't feel like quoting myself and having a 1-person conversation, but I want to add the following:

There are 2 reasons (aside from wanting out of NO) why AD might not want to sign the extension:

1) If he doesnt win the MVP award this season, he would likey not be eligible for the 30% max if he gets injured next season.  He may not want to lock himself into a long deal in that scenario.

2) If he/his agent believe the max salary will be done away with in the new CBA, signing his QO could lead to a megadeal in 2017.  However, that's quite the risk, as he'd give up about $17 million in 2016 on the hope of soemthing huge.

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 04:33:43 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/237079/Anthony-Davis-Agents-Undecided-On-Extension-Plans-With-Pelicans

Seems like AD wants to win and who could blame him? New Orleans has failed to put a 2nd young star around him. Maybe there's a CHANCE guys lol....slim, but we can hope.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zMRrNY0pxfM

I don't see that at all in the article. But Davis is not going to BOS. Right now our team is working hard, but we still don't have a star. We don't have the assets, right players, and Davis can only believe in Ainge/Stevens. That isn't tantamount of firm belief or hope to reel Davis in.

If Davis honestly wants to leave, then he would demand a sign and trade to a team of his choosing. And re-sign with them. But I don't see it. Who would pass up that much money?

What I'm saying is, do you honestly think Davis has considered at all at some point? 

I don't feel like quoting myself and having a 1-person conversation, but I want to add the following:

There are 2 reasons (aside from wanting out of NO) why AD might not want to sign the extension:

1) If he doesnt win the MVP award this season, he would likey not be eligible for the 30% max if he gets injured next season.  He may not want to lock himself into a long deal in that scenario.

2) If he/his agent believe the max salary will be done away with in the new CBA, signing his QO could lead to a megadeal in 2017.  However, that's quite the risk, as he'd give up about $17 million in 2016 on the hope of soemthing huge.

At the risk of not havinng you have a one person conversation ;)

If Davis gave up 17 million in 2016, almost any team would give him anything huge.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 04:38:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819

It's interesting how the phrase "Davis' representatives have not yet decided how to proceed with the Pelicans," was interpreted as "Anthony Davis isn't sold on NO," and later expanded to speculation about an dissatisfaction about the talent that has surrounded him.