Author Topic: Sixers-Hornets trade  (Read 5667 times)

Sixers-Hornets trade
« on: September 23, 2010, 02:24:28 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69233/20100923/sixers_acquire_songaila_brackins_from_hornets_for_green_smith/

Interesting.

Hornets get Willie Green and Jason Smith in exchange for Darius Songaila and Craig Brackins (whom they acquired on draft night from OKC).

Green is very meh. Smith seemed to show promise before he blew out his knee season before last. Songaila is a trooper, a good backup big for a playoff team.

Seems like NO continues to trade talent for payroll relief.

Edit: I just looked at the salary numbers, and NO is taking back more than it gives out (for this year, anyways). So I really don't see the motivation for the deal. Green is redundant with Belinelli and Thornton on the roster, and Smith is a 3rd stringer, at best.  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:35:39 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Re: Sixers-Hornets trade
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 02:38:15 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
Pointless trade ... and a waste of a draft pick (Brackins).

The Hornets have done a very poor job this off-season. They screwed up their lottery pick and their top trade asset (D.Collison) and failed to address the David West + Emeka Okafor situation.

Increasingly likely that Chris Paul leaves the Hornets in the near future. Probably next summer. And the Hornets only have themselves to blame for that. 

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 02:47:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

The Hornets have done a very poor job this off-season. They screwed up their lottery pick and their top trade asset (D.Collison) and failed to address the David West + Emeka Okafor situation.

Increasingly likely that Chris Paul leaves the Hornets in the near future. Probably next summer. And the Hornets only have themselves to blame for that. 

I know. If they don't use Peja's massive expiring contract to get some talent around CP3, he's got to walk.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 03:15:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This one ha to be a head-scratcher from the perspective of Hornets fans. The Hornets gave up the best player of the 4(Songalia, just my opinion) and the player with the most potential(Brackins) and took on more salary to do so.

Strange!!!

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
This one ha to be a head-scratcher from the perspective of Hornets fans. The Hornets gave up the best player of the 4(Songalia, just my opinion) and the player with the most potential(Brackins) and took on more salary to do so.

Strange!!!

Not as strange as trading the 11th pick (Aldrich) and Mo Peterson to OKC for two 2nd rounders (Brackins and Pondexter).

Combining the two moves:
Aldrich, Mo Pete, and Songaila
for Willie Green, Jason Smith, and Pondexter

Payroll relief notwithstanding, that's horrible.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 04:01:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Strange!!!

Not as strange as trading the 11th pick (Aldrich) and Mo Peterson to OKC for two 2nd rounders (Brackins and Pondexter).

Combining the two moves:

Wasn't Pondexter a first rounder?

Actually like Pondexter as a pro a whole lot more than Aldrich, who I will be a bit of a stiff. To me he looks to be a Nick Collison clone, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 04:03:47 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Strange!!!

Not as strange as trading the 11th pick (Aldrich) and Mo Peterson to OKC for two 1st rounders (Brackins and Pondexter).

Combining the two moves:

Wasn't Pondexter a first rounder?

Actually like Pondexter as a pro a whole lot more than Aldrich, who I will be a bit of a stiff. To me he looks to be a Nick Collison clone, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

You're right. My head was still in the rookie drafts for the fantasy leagues I run, where picks 1-20 were 1sts, and picks 21-40 were 2nd rounders.

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 04:23:30 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach

I'm hoping the Hornets at least are able to contend for the playoffs this season. If the Hornets, Nuggets and Rockets all tank and don't make the playoffs/are just a cut above the lottery then I'm sure that I could see some of their stars being upset after the regular season ends.

You can't realistically  expect teams like the Warriors, Clippers, Kings or the Timberwolves to just turn it around and land a low playoff seed without some sort of divine intervention or a drastic trade scenario. Who knows, maybe the Grizzlies can sneak into the 8th seed.

Kevin Durant/Thunder > all 'young' teams in the Western Conference, apparently...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 04:31:43 PM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 06:09:19 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Songaila is a trooper, a good backup big for a playoff team.

Is that a joke? Have you seen him play? The guy can't walk and chew gum at the same time.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 06:16:18 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Songaila is a trooper, a good backup big for a playoff team.

Is that a joke? Have you seen him play? The guy can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

I have. Hard-nosed, loves physical play. Decent rebounder and scorer per minute.

Why don't you like him?

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 06:26:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
Songaila is a very poor first big man off the bench. A serviceable fourth big in the depth chart (10 minute a night player) or a very good fifth big (non-rotation player).

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Songaila is a very poor first big man off the bench. A serviceable fourth big in the depth chart (10 minute a night player) or a very good fifth big (non-rotation player).
Songalia is Shelden Williams....without the UNC pedigree and label as "Former 5th Pick in the Draft" following him around.

Same type of player in my book. And a guy that I would definitely want on my team before chuck happy Willie Green and the severely limited since his injury Jason Smith.

Just one man's opinion.

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Is very simple. They needed Green to back-up Chris Paul. All they have is Mustafa Shakur right now. Green is a Combo Guard; but brings experience and size to that backup position. Brackins is not NBA ready. Jason smith has better size and range. They may loose out on Barkins long-term potential (both Barckins and Smith were taken same place in the draft); however I don't see a down side for the Hornets (unless Smith is unable to rebound from his injury).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:02:11 PM by gar »

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 07:18:43 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Songalia is Shelden Williams....without the UNC pedigree and label as "Former 5th Pick in the Draft" following him around.

Same type of player in my book. And a guy that I would definitely want on my team before chuck happy Willie Green and the severely limited since his injury Jason Smith.

Just one man's opinion.

Duke pedigree, you mean.  But I think Songaila is more valuable than a Sheldon.  Why?  Not sure.  Just think he brings more.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 07:52:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Just one man's opinion.

Duke pedigree, you mean.  But I think Songaila is more valuable than a Sheldon.  Why?  Not sure.  Just think he brings more.
Ooops. He's a Dukie. Those Tar Heels out there aren't going to like that slip up.  ;D

I always seem to get him and Sean May's college teams mixed up.