Author Topic: What can Brown do for Team USA? Just about everything  (Read 23372 times)

Re: What can Brown do for Team USA? Just about everything
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 04:21:54 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Last season Brown was one of those who tried to play hero ball, playing 1 on 1 basketball a lot of times.
That's why he lost his starting job to Smart.

Brown also rarely played in the last 5 minutes of the game.

Brad usually went with Kyrie, Smart, Tatum, Morris, and Horford during crunch time.

In the first 2 games of FIBA play, Brown was playing as a wing player.
When Tatum went down, that's when Brown started to play a lot of 4.
During those first 2 games as a wing, Brown wasn't effective because when he tried to play 1 on 1 and had to dribble more, he usually ended up going nowhere.
That's on Brad Stevens himself. I still remember a number of games where Jaylen got yanked from the game after lighting the court on fire in the first couple of quarters, and got put back in after his flow was abruptly cut short. Your criticism of Brown is grossly exaggerated imo.

I mean... Don't you think it's weird Greg Popovich has used him more at small ball 4 (his college position) in 3 weeks than Brad Stevens has in 3 years?...

That's because international players are weaker compared to NBA players.

This is just another blatantly false assertion.

Size statistics show that these teams are pretty much the same size in general as NBA players.  And with the rule differences the FIBA game is actually more physical than the NBA game.   They don't have a 3-sec rule so it's quite common for a big to plant himself in the paint.   Watch how teams run their offenses and you see a lot more off-ball contact than in the NBA, where fouls get called when someone sneezes.

This was no more apparent than with how Giannis performed.  His game is all about having space in the paint, attacking it and drawing fouls.  He is tailor-made for the NBA.  In FIBA, he neither got that open space nor did he get foul calls despite all the contact.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 04:30:33 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Last season Brown was one of those who tried to play hero ball, playing 1 on 1 basketball a lot of times.

Brad usually went with Kyrie, Smart, Tatum, Morris, and Horford during crunch time.

During those first 2 games as a wing, Brown wasn't effective because when he tried to play 1 on 1 and had to dribble more, he usually ended up going nowhere.
That's on Brad Stevens himself. I still remember a number of games where Jaylen got yanked from the game after lighting the court on fire in the first couple of quarters, and got put back in after his flow was abruptly cut short. Your criticism of Brown is grossly exaggerated imo.

That's why I keep saying Hayward is Brad's boy.

Brown got more minutes in 2017-18 when Hayward was out for the season.

When Hayward returned, that's when Brown regressed.

I think the Celts will end up choosing between Brown and Hayward.
It's just not practical to keep them both at 30m per year each.

Jaylen did not lose minutes to Hayward.   Both Jaylen AND Hayward lost minutes to Morris (and to a lesser extent Smart).

Jaylen played more minutes along side Gordon than alongside any other teammate.  55% of Jaylen's minutes were spent with Gordon.  By definition, you are not 'losing minutes' to a guy that you are playing on the floor with.

The real mystery of last season regarding Brad Stevens' decisions is why he continued to give so many minutes to Morris -- who was 99% certain to be gone after this last season -- instead of Hayward and/or Jaylen, both of whom the team had a long term commitment to.   Especially during January - March when Morris absolutely sucked while both Jaylen and Hayward were playing better and better.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 04:36:50 PM by mmmmm »
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 04:42:57 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Jaylen did not lose minutes to Hayward.   Both Jaylen AND Hayward lost minutes to Morris (and to a lesser extent Smart).

Jaylen played more minutes along side Gordon than alongside any other teammate.  55% of Jaylen's minutes were spent with Gordon.  By definition, you are not 'losing minutes' to a guy that you are playing on the floor with.

The real mystery of last season regarding Brad Stevens' decisions is why he continued to give so many minutes to Morris -- who was 99% certain to be gone after this last season -- instead of Hayward and/or Jaylen, both of whom the team had a long term commitment to.   Especially during January - March when Morris absolutely sucked while both Jaylen and Hayward were playing better and better.

I'm not sure that's a mystery at all. Morris played well next to Horford and Irving, who were the two best celtic players. Hayward and Brown both struggled to find rhythm playing next to them, which is why they often came off the bench.

As far as coaching philosophy goes, some coaches would still play their most talented 5 until they develop rhythm. CBS chose not to. I disagreed with the decision, but I understood why he did it.

I think Brown and Hayward will be much more comfortable playing next to Walker and Kanter this year. Both guys make quicker decisions and are much more aggressive than Horford and Irving.

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 06:01:37 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

I'm not sure that's a mystery at all. Morris played well next to Horford and Irving, who were the two best celtic players. Hayward and Brown both struggled to find rhythm playing next to them, which is why they often came off the bench.

As far as coaching philosophy goes, some coaches would still play their most talented 5 until they develop rhythm. CBS chose not to. I disagreed with the decision, but I understood why he did it.

I think Brown and Hayward will be much more comfortable playing next to Walker and Kanter this year. Both guys make quicker decisions and are much more aggressive than Horford and Irving.

Morris "played well" (fantastic actually) up through November and December.  After that, he was mostly a train wreck until the playoffs, when he finally recovered his shot.  Morris' scoring efficiency was other-worldly up through December.  He posted TS% of .645, .606 & .668 in the months of Oct, Nov & Dec.   But that was obviously never going to be sustainable.   It tanked down to a mundane .534 in January and continued south:  .516 in Feb, .511 in Mar and .433 in Apr.   And it wasn't just his shooting.  The defense of the starting 5 with Morris fell steadily from great in the Fall to abysmal in February in March.   The team was -7.7 in Feb and -9.3 in March with Morris on the floor.

Meanwhile, both Jaylen (who had already turned his horrible shooting slump around before he went to the bench) and Hayward steadily played better and better as the season progressed.   Through the last four months of the playoffs both were clearly playing way better than Morris.

Here's why the question is a mystery:  Both Hayward (recovering) and Brown (injured hand) did legitimately struggle to start the season.   The team fumbled through .500 ball to start and after ~20 games, Brad made the move to Morris and then Smart.  To a lot of fans that _looked_ like a performance based decision.   'Better performing players getting to start.

But then, when the hot start of Morris clearly wore off, why did Brad then stick with him for over half the rest of the season, despite him clearly sucking so awful?   This makes no sense if the original move was at all related to performance.

It may indeed have been a 'chemistry' decision by Stevens -- deciding based on who seemed to work better together -- but then that points to he being more aware from as early as last November of the 'chemistry' problems with this team.

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 08:48:37 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Thank you for actually making sense. TP!  Fierce has some kind of issue with Brown, and he has said the same minutes thing in other threads.  Also says that Brown will be mad because his minutes will be so low this coming season. 

Well with Smart not starting and Morris gone there are more than enough minutes to keep Jaylen, Tatum, and Hayward at a nice fat 30mpg+ or so this season. 

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2019, 10:56:29 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
In the playoffs this spring?

Best player. Never quit.

Pop invites him to play on his team.

Jeez, there goes the salary cap.

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 01:53:17 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Thank you for actually making sense. TP!  Fierce has some kind of issue with Brown, and he has said the same minutes thing in other threads.  Also says that Brown will be mad because his minutes will be so low this coming season. 

Well with Smart not starting and Morris gone there are more than enough minutes to keep Jaylen, Tatum, and Hayward at a nice fat 30mpg+ or so this season.

That's not going to happen.

Last season only 2 players got 30 minutes per game or more, Kyrie and Tatum.

Brad uses a 10-man rotation during the season and he shortens it to 8 or 9 in the playoffs.

At most, only Kemba, Hayward, and Tatum are going to get 30 minutes per game or more.

Smart, Jaylen, and the others will get less than 30 minutes per game.

Don't forget that Carsen Edwards and Grant Williams will be part of the rotation.

My only issue with Brown is he's a complementary player, not a star player.
So why waste resources on Brown when the Celts are still lacking a quality big man or a star player?

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 02:24:31 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Brad uses a 10-man rotation during the season and he shortens it to 8 or 9 in the playoffs.

At most, only Kemba, Hayward, and Tatum are going to get 30 minutes per game or more.

Don't forget that Carsen Edwards and Grant Williams will be part of the rotation.

So why waste resources on Brown when the Celts are still lacking a quality big man or a star player?

It will absolutely happen.  Last year we had way more mouths to feed minute wise.  Enough with the Carsen Edwards and Grant Williams are going to eat minutes away from Brown, it isn't happening.  Neither of those two play the same position as Brown, especially Edwards, a 6'1" rookie pg is not taking minutes away Brown.  Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true.

You keep repeating the same outlandish stuff, Jaylen never got big minutes until hayward went down, Jaylen is the odd man out, then it is Brown will be unhappy with not enough minutes this year.  It is all just mud.  You just don't like Brown we get it.

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2019, 05:35:42 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

It will absolutely happen.  Last year we had way more mouths to feed minute wise.  Enough with the Carsen Edwards and Grant Williams are going to eat minutes away from Brown, it isn't happening.  Neither of those two play the same position as Brown, especially Edwards, a 6'1" rookie pg is not taking minutes away Brown.  Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true.

You keep repeating the same outlandish stuff, Jaylen never got big minutes until hayward went down, Jaylen is the odd man out, then it is Brown will be unhappy with not enough minutes this year.  It is all just mud.  You just don't like Brown we get it.

Carsen is not a true PG so he's going to get minutes as a SG.

Grant Will will get some minutes at the 4 or 5.

That will affect the whole rotation as Tatum, Brown, Hayward, and Smart will all play multiple positions.

I have the stats to prove what I'm saying.

Back in 2017-18, when Hayward was out for the season, Brown was playing 30.7 minutes per game.

When Hayward returned last season, Brown's minutes went down from 30.7 to 25.9 minutes per game.

Also, don't use Marcus Morris as an excuse because in 2017-18, Morris was averaging 26.7 minutes per game.

In 2018-19 Morris averaged 27.9 minutes per game.

So it's not Morris who had a direct effect on Brown's playing time.

It's not all mud, it's based on stats.

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2019, 09:02:18 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Carsen is not a true PG so he's going to get minutes as a SG.

Grant Will will get some minutes at the 4 or 5.

That will affect the whole rotation as Tatum, Brown, Hayward, and Smart will all play multiple positions.

I have the stats to prove what I'm saying.

Back in 2017-18, when Hayward was out for the season, Brown was playing 30.7 minutes per game.

When Hayward returned last season, Brown's minutes went down from 30.7 to 25.9 minutes per game.

Also, don't use Marcus Morris as an excuse because in 2017-18, Morris was averaging 26.7 minutes per game.

In 2018-19 Morris averaged 27.9 minutes per game.

So it's not Morris who had a direct effect on Brown's playing time.

It's not all mud, it's based on stats.

Ya Brown is gonna get over thirty, or at least very close especially if it turns out that he/and or smart can cover some 4's or 5's

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 09:18:29 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Brown proved in season 2 he could be a #1 or #2 offensive option.

Brown proved in seasons 2 and 3 that he is a great two way wing that can play both the SG and SF position.

Brown proved last year he can take on the role of bench player/sixth man and succeed there.

Brown proved the last two seasons he is an even better playoff performer than he is a regular season performer.

And now, this summer, for team USA, Jaylen proved he can guard the PF and C positions very well against high quality players.

And after proving all that, Jaylen is going to get less minutes and be worth less money because....why exactly? Aren't players that prove all that type of stuff players you keep and pay a lot of money to?

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 09:24:30 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Brown proved in seasons 2 and 3 that he is a great two way wing that can play both the SG and SF position.

Brown proved last year he can take on the role of bench player/sixth man and succeed there.

Brown proved the last two seasons he is an even better playoff performer than he is a regular season performer.

And now, this summer, for team USA, Jaylen proved he can guard the PF and C positions very well against high quality players.

And after proving all that, Jaylen is going to get less minutes and be worth less money because....why exactly? Aren't players that prove all that type of stuff players you keep and pay a lot of money to?
nick, nick, nick....you dont understand. all of what you say goes directly against pre-existing emotional preferences, so how can it possibly be correct??????  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2019, 10:01:47 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

What do you think he deserves, Nick? A max deal?

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2019, 10:15:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

What do you think he deserves, Nick? A max deal?
Whatever the market dictates. And the market won't be set until the season is complete.

Let's see what role Stevens gives Brown this year, and more importantly, let's see what role Brown TAKES this year. If Brown plays amazing defense and blossoms offensively to the point of taking the role of 2nd offensive option, he is a max player.

If he has an up and down season like say the first 20 games of last year, he is probably worth only Marcus Smart level money. If he has a season somewhere in between, he is probably worth in the $20 million a year area.

Time will tell but I think the Celtics are prepared to offer him the max if he shows he has developed his game even further and proved he will be a massive positive asset going forward.

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2019, 11:43:19 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I don't think one playoff run proves anything.  To prove he can be a #1 or #2 option, Brown needs to do it over a much longer time frame.  He has yet to do that frankly.  IMO, Brown is an average #3 at best and a #5 at worst.