Author Topic: Rockets (38-20) at Celtics (41-17) Game #59 2/29.20  (Read 54429 times)

Re: Rockets (38-20) at Celtics (41-17) Game #59 2/29.20
« Reply #765 on: March 01, 2020, 12:25:51 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Refs let us play.

Rockets played harder tonight and deserved to win.

On to the next one.

« Reply #766 on: March 01, 2020, 12:31:16 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Looks like I wouldn't wanna see Houston in the Finals, they have our number this year.

Honestly I think we could've taken both games. Problem is that in both games we really needed Walker.

I think the main problem (tonight, at least) was that Boston couldn't hit water falling out of a boat.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #767 on: March 01, 2020, 12:38:43 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Looks like I wouldn't wanna see Houston in the Finals, they have our number this year.

Honestly I think we could've taken both games. Problem is that in both games we really needed Walker.

I think the main problem (tonight, at least) was that Boston couldn't hit water falling out of a boat.

I agree with this take.  Hard to beat other contenders when we shoot 39%.  We just couldn't hit shots, especially in the 3rd quarter when they were on their big comeback.  No one could slow down Westbrook at all either.

I guess I am not as upset st some about the offensive rebounds we gave up.  They shot 55 threes, so there are bound to be a lot of long crazy rebounds.
When Houston spreads the court on offense they are tough to guard well, and keep off the glass.

Got to think of it as a learning experience at this point, watch the tape and get better.  Concentrate on not having a letdown against the lesser teams.

« Reply #768 on: March 01, 2020, 12:44:37 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
C's came out to play in the 1st.....got the lead and RELAXED....Never got the edge again..Lucky to get to OT---but that first PHANTOM foul on Jaylen--for the Westbrook 3 point play, cost us the game...not even sure that Theis fouled Harden on his last drive either....C's looked like a bunch of rookies out there tonight.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #769 on: March 01, 2020, 12:51:32 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I'm surprised that there seems to be some Stevens hate going on. I think the Rockets just out-physicaled the Celts (again) and they had no answer. I don't think Kemba would have even helped because he probably would have made our defense worse.

It's not a good matchup for the Celts. And I don't have any problem criticizing Hayward. Even if he never was going to be a "real" max player he still has to be better than what he's been doing, and he'd be the first to admit that.

They don't have the advantages they usually do with the small lineup against Houston, and they don't have enough strong/physical players to break free from the morass Houston's D puts them in.

« Reply #770 on: March 01, 2020, 12:55:32 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Tatum needs the plastic covering for his new tattoo back on. I think he played  better with that plastic covering the  new tattoo on the back of his shoulders.

I hate tattoos.

I hate them them as well, but I was roundly criticized on this board for saying so because I wasn't sensitive enough to the many ways these self-indulgent millionaires choose to express their inner beauty by desecrating their bodies and making themselves look like circus clowns with their multi-colored, wacked out hairstyles. But I digress ........................
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #771 on: March 01, 2020, 12:55:36 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I'm surprised that there seems to be some Stevens hate going on. I think the Rockets just out-physicaled the Celts (again) and they had no answer. I don't think Kemba would have even helped because he probably would have made our defense worse.

It's not a good matchup for the Celts. And I don't have any problem criticizing Hayward. Even if he never was going to be a "real" max player he still has to be better than what he's been doing, and he'd be the first to admit that.

They don't have the advantages they usually do with the small lineup against Houston, and they don't have enough strong/physical players to break free from the morass Houston's D puts them in.

I think that any kind of shot making would've made a difference in this one.

« Reply #772 on: March 01, 2020, 01:00:39 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

Kanter would have helped in that regard. I think he would have wreaked havoc inside tonite. He wasn't listed as injured ??
Maybe he was, or maybe Stevens so enjoyed being in small-ball heaven tonite that he didn't choose to use whatever advantage we might have had inside. He probably wishes Danny would do what Houston did and go ahead and trade away everyone on the roster taller than 6-8 so that he could play four guards and a forward all the time .
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #773 on: March 01, 2020, 01:13:35 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
The output from the bench was pathetic tonight

« Reply #774 on: March 01, 2020, 01:31:51 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think we should go even smaller the next time we face the Rockets. Theis struggles against strong and bulky types like PJ Tucker, he got pushed around a bit tonight. Our centre rotation should be Theis/Grant/Semi depending on how we're matching up against them, if Tucker is killing it on the glass we should trot out Grant/Semi (as well as introduce the concept of face guarding in box outs to our wings and guards) to combat their physicality on the boards while not sacrificing our perimeter defence.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 05:56:23 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #775 on: March 01, 2020, 03:06:38 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

Kanter would have helped in that regard. I think he would have wreaked havoc inside tonite. He wasn't listed as injured ??
Maybe he was, or maybe Stevens so enjoyed being in small-ball heaven tonite that he didn't choose to use whatever advantage we might have had inside. He probably wishes Danny would do what Houston did and go ahead and trade away everyone on the roster taller than 6-8 so that he could play four guards and a forward all the time .

I don't think Kanter is the solution because while he's solid inside on offense, Tucker is strong enough to either slow him down enough or force a stalemate. Then on the defensive side Kanter is a negative in space AND as a rim protector, so you're losing there already.

I think the Celtics have to play the best way they can overall with the talent they have on the team, and that means Walker, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, and Theis. The Rockets will continue to be a tough matchup issue for them but the better teams will tend to do that to you. Fortunately, they are in the West so we don't have to see them unless it's in the Finals.

« Reply #776 on: March 01, 2020, 05:04:24 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Typical Brad not playing TimeLord because he thinks he ain't ready.

Saying praises for him that he has been jumping almost 13ft and ready but he doesn't trust him because small ball is the game of the Rockets so he decided to play small as well... Backfired big time.

Annoying that Brad has the tools but really wouldn't use them.

« Reply #777 on: March 01, 2020, 05:49:31 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Typical Brad not playing TimeLord because he thinks he ain't ready.

Saying praises for him that he has been jumping almost 13ft and ready but he doesn't trust him because small ball is the game of the Rockets so he decided to play small as well... Backfired big time.

Annoying that Brad has the tools but really wouldn't use them.
Well he isn't ready. His defensive IQ is cringeworthy, the Rockets would abuse his tendency to chase blocks as well as his poor positional awareness with their 5 out offence. He's not the second coming of Bill Russell, he's a very athletic and raw centre who would struggle against any quality offence in the modern NBA.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #778 on: March 01, 2020, 06:17:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think we should go even smaller the next time we face the Rockets. Theis struggles against strong and bulky types like PJ Tucker, he got pushed around a bit tonight. Our centre rotation should be Theis/Grant/Semi depending on how we're matching up against them, if Tucker is killing it on the glass we should trot out Grant/Semi (as well as introduce the concept of face guarding in box outs to our wings and guards) to combat their physicality on the boards while not sacrificing our perimeter defence.
I say go wild with it. Start Jaylen-Jayson-Gordy-Smart-Kemba
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #779 on: March 01, 2020, 06:32:07 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I will reiterate the perplexing nature of not calling a timeout on that last play. It's not like the Cs were on a fastbreak; Tatum walked the ball up the floor as slowly as one could and HOU was totally set in their defense. Once it became obvious that whatever Brad was yelling out wasn't going to work, he should have immediately called the timeout. It's not like he could have saved it for later.

But it doesn't all come down to that - the 2nd half was just pure torture. It'll be nice to have Kemba back, but don't like seeing how this team just collapses with any type of adversity. Even the Brown 3 at the end of regulation came after Tatum blew his first FT (I realize he missed the 2nd on purpose).
Yeah, that was pretty bloody mystifying.

I didn't see the game till this morning as I was out last night but apparently the logic was this:

Harden was fouled on a fast break and hit both free throws with 24.1 seconds left, putting his team back in front. The Celtics had a timeout, but Stevens elected not to use it, in large part because it would allow Houston’s switch-heavy defensive scheme to set up and potentially make the inbounds pass a challenge.

The ball ended up in Brown’s hands, but he would not be a hero twice on the same night. His tough fadeaway caromed off the rim, and as Theis gathered the rebound, the buzzer sounded and the fans shuffled into the cold night thinking about what could have been.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2020/03/01/celticswrap/b7pBbNGBNnNmUHVJu96mZN/story.html
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D