Author Topic: Rockets (38-20) at Celtics (41-17) Game #59 2/29.20  (Read 54988 times)

Re: Rockets (38-20) at Celtics (41-17) Game #59 2/29.20
« Reply #735 on: February 29, 2020, 11:38:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This loss is on all of our players on the floor who couldn't manage to box out the midgets that the Rockets put out there down the stretch. Offensive rebounds flat out killed us.
Collectively the midgets are more athletic so it's not a total shock.

You have to play to your strength. Boston should play small ball!!!!

« Reply #736 on: February 29, 2020, 11:38:57 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/1233968835943960578

Absolutely infuriating. When does Brad get held accountable for these God-awful end-game decisions? How many games has he given up due to this putrid philosophy of refusing to call a timeout in these situations??

I'm guessing he doesn't, because it's about one millionth of the issue that you make it out to be. Emphasised by the fact you then assume we will automatically win when he takes the time outs that you want. False logic, and almost a total non issue.

Sure bud. Keep the blinders on.

Nobody said it guarantees you a win, but it gives you a much higher percentage of a better look. Are you happy with a 9-23 Brown shooting a fade-away pull-up midrange jumper for the win? Yeah, didn't think so. Literally no argument could be made for not calling that timeout tonight with how our offense has been tonight, especially with no Kemba and a lackluster iso Tatum. Zero argument.

They had a full shot clock, and a guy taking foul shots allowing time to consider and nominate the play, of which they would have dozens to chose from with 24 seconds to play with. Sure, the play didn't pan out to be that great, but it's not an essential time out situation. Houston actually played pretty good defence on that trip, so you have to give them credit."
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 12:43:25 AM by Scottiej23 »

« Reply #737 on: February 29, 2020, 11:39:17 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Tatum, 9-27 tonight, with 5 turnovers. Some of the blame has to go to him. He still needs to learn how to pass out of the double teams he's seeing now that he's an established top tier scorer.

We repeatedly went to him in crunch time tonight with poor results.

« Reply #738 on: February 29, 2020, 11:39:40 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I will reiterate the perplexing nature of not calling a timeout on that last play. It's not like the Cs were on a fastbreak; Tatum walked the ball up the floor as slowly as one could and HOU was totally set in their defense. Once it became obvious that whatever Brad was yelling out wasn't going to work, he should have immediately called the timeout. It's not like he could have saved it for later.

TP. Not sure why any of us should be surprised by this at this point. He consistently makes these bad calls when it comes to calling timeouts, but this context of end of game situations in particular he just refuses to do so out of some illogical, ill-conceived philosophy.

But, yeah, don't dare criticize Brad on this forum, yet ye be hounded by Brad's Bunch of Bulldogs.
Playing the victim like a child doean't make you sound any more right, you know?
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #739 on: February 29, 2020, 11:40:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
CBS gets the defeat credit ...falling asleep at the wheel...senior moment ...was his brain on another planet ...  did he forget he was coach ? 

Loud speaker in Celtics office ". Brad to Dannys office immediately "

« Reply #740 on: February 29, 2020, 11:40:31 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
The C's need bench help.

We could definitely use a shooter.  It would have helped unpack that Rockets defense from the paint.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't sound like there were any available for a reasonable price at the deadline.  And the buyout market is unreliable at best... picking through players who other teams don't want and couldn't even trade away is not a strategy that works every year. 

« Reply #741 on: February 29, 2020, 11:42:14 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
Man, I just need to take my mind of this game. It isn't good for my mental health. Should I read a book? Play a video game? Idm...

« Reply #742 on: February 29, 2020, 11:42:29 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Looks like I wouldn't wanna see Houston in the Finals, they have our number this year.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #743 on: February 29, 2020, 11:43:41 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
Man, I just need to take my mind of this game. It isn't good for my mental health. Should I read a book? Play a video game? Idm...

Just booted up Zelda myself, lol.

I'm there with you.  For some reason, this was a tough loss.

« Reply #744 on: February 29, 2020, 11:43:57 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Looks like I wouldn't wanna see Houston in the Finals, they have our number this year.

Honestly I think we could've taken both games. Problem is that in both games we really needed Walker.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #745 on: February 29, 2020, 11:44:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hayward really struggles with these clutch late game shots.

I know he's efficient when the game doesn't matter, but he's killjoy in close games. Point blank layups, wide open 3's - you name it, he misses it.
You know how easy it is to refute this, right? He, Kemba and Marcus all shoot within 1.8% of each other in terms of FG% (Kemba as the best, Smart as the worst), and Hayward is our best clutch 3 point shooter, closely followed by Tatum and Kemba. So basically, he's no worse than Kemba (just a much smaller volume), and he's massively more efficient than Smart in the clutch when you consider 3P% and FT%

https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=GP&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612738

Yay. I suddenly feel better about that missed layup against the Lakers and the missed three tonight and also the brick house he tried to build in Utah (that we fortunately survived).

Seriously, my bad. I keep forgetting we're not supposed to criticize him.
Rofl. If you want to ignore stats and continue criticising one guy for something numerous guys are guilty of, go ahead. It's hilarious. You say that as if he doesn't cop it incessantly. But he's your whipping boy, so go off ::)

I dish out criticism across the board. But forbid I come for Hayward, then the good 'ole boys come running to protect him. He's had a chance to put away two close games in the past week and he's come up short in both, but I guess I should just point to the refs.
Yeah, almost as if fans have favourites. Just like there are those who ardently defend Brad, or Brown, or Smart, or Tatum. Craaaaaazy stuff! Woe is you
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #746 on: February 29, 2020, 11:44:52 PM »

Offline RJD1974

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 47

Honestly I think we could've taken both games. Problem is that in both games we really needed Walker.

He played in the game at Houston.

« Reply #747 on: February 29, 2020, 11:46:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The C's need bench help.

We could definitely use a shooter.  It would have helped unpack that Rockets defense from the paint.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't sound like there were any available for a reasonable price at the deadline.  And the buyout market is unreliable at best... picking through players who other teams don't want and couldn't even trade away is not a strategy that works every year.

imagine if we had Kemba or Hayward coming off the bench!!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 12:08:42 AM by Ogaju »

« Reply #748 on: February 29, 2020, 11:47:19 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
Hayward really struggles with these clutch late game shots.

I know he's efficient when the game doesn't matter, but he's killjoy in close games. Point blank layups, wide open 3's - you name it, he misses it.
You know how easy it is to refute this, right? He, Kemba and Marcus all shoot within 1.8% of each other in terms of FG% (Kemba as the best, Smart as the worst), and Hayward is our best clutch 3 point shooter, closely followed by Tatum and Kemba. So basically, he's no worse than Kemba (just a much smaller volume), and he's massively more efficient than Smart in the clutch when you consider 3P% and FT%

https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=GP&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612738

Yay. I suddenly feel better about that missed layup against the Lakers and the missed three tonight and also the brick house he tried to build in Utah (that we fortunately survived).

Seriously, my bad. I keep forgetting we're not supposed to criticize him.
Rofl. If you want to ignore stats and continue criticising one guy for something numerous guys are guilty of, go ahead. It's hilarious. You say that as if he doesn't cop it incessantly. But he's your whipping boy, so go off ::)

I dish out criticism across the board. But forbid I come for Hayward, then the good 'ole boys come running to protect him. He's had a chance to put away two close games in the past week and he's come up short in both, but I guess I should just point to the refs.
Yeah, almost as if fans have favourites. Just like there are those who ardently defend Brad, or Brown, or Smart, or Tatum. Craaaaaazy stuff! Woe is you
Yeah, I really don't get this victim mentality some have on this board. I may have strong disagreements with some on this board, but I never feel the need to act like I'm getting ganged up on for having an opinion.

« Reply #749 on: February 29, 2020, 11:48:48 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker

Just booted up Zelda myself, lol.

I'm there with you.  For some reason, this was a tough loss.
Zelda's always a good time. Just need to find something that will lower my blood pressure. At this rate, I'm never falling asleep lol.