Author Topic: Olympic Basketball  (Read 51340 times)

Re: Olympic Basketball
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 10:48:15 AM »

Offline Nowee

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 41
  • Celtic Pride
can someone get me a box score? Why is it so difficult to find one. It was hard enough finding the roster on the USA mens basketball official site and they dont even have the boxscore

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/12_mnt_results.html
Dutch Celtics Pride

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 11:17:06 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Rondo should be on this team.

No question.

I love Westbrook's game, but Rondo should be out there in his stead.

Rondo was originally going to be part of the 08 team (and then this 12 team I'm sure).  Coach K and staff decided they had to start Rondo at PG, with Rose backing him up, because Rondo was not the type of player/person who could happily accept a backup role (and as much as I love Rondo, they are probably right).  Rose clearly outplayed Rondo so they had to make the switch, and Rondo decided to ask off the team.  You don't ask off the team and then get invited 4 years later.  In another 4 years, if he expressed great interest, I bet they would consider him.
But he was invited this year. He turned them down.

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 11:19:35 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I'm not exactly rooting for the US.

They have some of the most unlikable guys in the NBA on the team.  It's an extremely hard team to root for.
This.....I am allowed to go for Lithuania. Next I'd like a poor team like Nigeria

See I don't really get this.

I mean if any of the guys I hated came to the Celtics, there's just no way that would cause me to root against the Celtics, the only thing it would do would cause me to cheer for the guys I once hated.

Same thing with Team USA, how can I root against my country?  It's like rooting against the Celtics.

Cheer for the team, not the players.
I love the people of this country, the land of this country, and the culture, but as far as USA goes, I am more loyal to the Celtics. Regardless, I am rooting for this team kinda because I have some loyalty to the team but there is no problem with someone wooting for lithuania, Nigeria, etc.

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things

No question.

Rondo was originally going to be part of the 08 team (and then this 12 team I'm sure).  Coach K and staff decided they had to start Rondo at PG, with Rose backing him up, because Rondo was not the type of player/person who could happily accept a backup role (and as much as I love Rondo, they are probably right).  Rose clearly outplayed Rondo so they had to make the switch, and Rondo decided to ask off the team.  You don't ask off the team and then get invited 4 years later.  In another 4 years, if he expressed great interest, I bet they would consider him.

Never heard that, but one might imagine it's because he knew they wouldn't start him over Paul and Deron.  Whether or not he would deserve to, we can argue to death, but Rondo clearly does not want to be a backup at any level, even for his country.

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 12:20:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

They have some of the most unlikable guys in the NBA on the team.  It's an extremely hard team to root for.
This.....I am allowed to go for Lithuania. Next I'd like a poor team like Nigeria

I mean if any of the guys I hated came to the Celtics, there's just no way that would cause me to root against the Celtics, the only thing it would do would cause me to cheer for the guys I once hated.

Same thing with Team USA, how can I root against my country?  It's like rooting against the Celtics.

I like to root for who I think are the good guys and there are just times you gotta realize you are sorta the bad guy. For example sometimes I like to think if I lived in NY I would still hate the Yankees

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 12:32:32 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

They have some of the most unlikable guys in the NBA on the team.  It's an extremely hard team to root for.

Same thing with Team USA, how can I root against my country?  It's like rooting against the Celtics.

I like to root for who I think are the good guys and there are just times you gotta realize you are sorta the bad guy. For example sometimes I like to think if I lived in NY I would still hate the Yankees

You still root for Penn State?

To me that's what it's like.  You can't just switch allegiances.  The Celtics weren't the good guys in 2008, but you were rooting for them then.

I can understand liking other teams, cheering for the underdog, but I don't get cheering against USA (if you're from the USA).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 12:38:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Same thing with Team USA, how can I root against my country?  It's like rooting against the Celtics.

You still root for Penn State?

To me that's what it's like.  You can't just switch allegiances.  The Celtics weren't the good guys in 2008, but you were rooting for them then.

I can understand liking other teams, cheering for the underdog, but I don't get cheering against USA (if you're from the USA).
I'm rooting for PSU to get a one year death penalty. But if they play other schools I probably want them to win.

There might be some others here that can speak to this, but when you marry an immigrant you often stop being USA-centric and feel a little more free agentish

To put it slightly differently if Ray had family in Miami and/or  wasn't from the New England area I don't think this would bother me as much and I think the same thing goes for Bron leaving Ohio

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
No Celtics in the Olympics?  That's depressing.

I think I'll be rooting for France, but I haven't made up my mind yet.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 12:53:42 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

No question.

Never heard that, but one might imagine it's because he knew they wouldn't start him over Paul and Deron.  Whether or not he would deserve to, we can argue to death, but Rondo clearly does not want to be a backup at any level, even for his country.

Thanks (TPs).

That's the quirky(and sad) thing about Rondo. IF these reports are true (wanting to start only), then that's on him, exclusively.

Why turn down an opportunity to play for the Gold Medal as part of team USA - just because you don't start? He is turning down an opportunity to not only win a medal, but he's lessening his chance at forging alliances with some of these players...he's turning down a chance at broadening his future HOF portfolio (seeing "Gold Medal" on your resume looks GOOD when HOF time comes around).

Look, I love the guy, but get off your high horse, kid. Yes - he IS all that, but he's NOT all-that.

He's closed the gap with CP3, but he NOT QUITE HIM, yet.

So his NEXT opportunity to play for gold will be when he's 28 or 29? He will be in his prime, but on the down-side of it. And who's to say that by then ANOTHER PG won't arise to take up another spot on the US Team?

KYRIE IRVING, KYLE LOWRY anyone?

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 01:24:51 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

No question.

That's not exactly the story.  He was on the roster under consideration for the 2010 World Championships, but he was definitely on the bubble behind Rose, Westbrook, and even Steph Curry.  He withdrew before the final cut was made, which quite possibly would have been him anyway.

In addition, there were some personal family reasons cited for his decision to leave the team. 

It was never about only staying with the team if he could be a starter. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 01:28:36 PM »

Offline kp4000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 13
Just not into this year's Olympic basketball team. Not sure if has a lot to do with the 66-game compressed lockout season? So many games during the 2012 season. As a basketball fan I need a break from the NBA or anything related. lol

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Good for Rondo, IMO. They should respect him more. 2 years ago he was the best point guard on the squad, but he was relegated and forced to play that stupid Coach K system. I hate that a team like US, having the best basketball talent pool in the world, plays like Angola, who has no other option to maximize their talents.

If the US team had Chuck Daly or someone as good as him, they'd figure out how to play real team ball, and not relying in the drive/kick out play or chucking routine (to the joy of moron heroballers - you know who). That said, being from Spain, that's a good thing because it opens things a bit for other teams.

With Rubio out, Navarro suffering plantar fascitis, and ankle problems to Marc Gasol, I think Spain's chances of beating US team are slim/none. That said, if Marc can recover and Calderon finds his groove (he's looking "turrible" in preparation games), we have a chance to meet in the championship game. If we could swap Reyes for Mirotic that would help a lot, also, but you can only include a naturalized player, and Ibaka is the better option right now.

If France could bring Mahinmi, Pietrus and Noah, they'd be a nightmare for any team, but as right now they are a tough team to beat. Brazil has potential, and good frontcourt, but their wing game is not very good. Argentina's time is over, and Russia/Lithuania could knock out some of the former teams, but not the US or Spain, IMO. Australia without Bogut will be less dangerous, but they're a hard fighting team. China isn't the same without Yao. Nigeria could surprise in a game, and Tunez didn't look very good against Spain.

The US will win the gold, 99%, and I don't like their team, but they're too physical for anyone to match. The Dream Team would mop the floor with them, though, they would be men against kids.

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2012, 01:37:28 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things

No question.

That's not exactly the story.  He was on the roster under consideration for the 2010 World Championships, but he was definitely on the bubble behind Rose, Westbrook, and even Steph Curry.  He withdrew before the final cut was made, which quite possibly would have been him anyway.

In addition, there were some personal family reasons cited for his decision to leave the team. 

It was never about only staying with the team if he could be a starter. 

Sorry, you are right that it was the 2010 world championships and not the 08 Olympics, but I am right that Coach K intended on starting him because they felt that was the only way he;d be happy and productive.  That was the summer Rose blew up, and they just had to start Rose.  You are correct that there were family reasons given, and maybe he even would have been cut, but the issue was that he wasn't happy/content as a backup....

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2012, 04:32:16 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
I know this probably will come across as unpatriotic, but am I the only one rooting against this USA team? What a locker full of self-absorbed, egocentric toolbags! Instead of focusing on properly representing the United States and making our country proud, they are turning this whole thing into a p---ing contest against THE Dream Team of '92. I hope they get ousted by a major underdog, just to shut up Kobe and LeBron.

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2012, 04:44:29 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I know this probably will come across as unpatriotic, but am I the only one rooting against this USA team? What a locker full of self-absorbed, egocentric toolbags! Instead of focusing on properly representing the United States and making our country proud, they are turning this whole thing into a p---ing contest against THE Dream Team of '92. I hope they get ousted by a major underdog, just to shut up Kobe and LeBron.

I agree. I would love to see them get booted out of the medal round by another country with barely any NBA caliber players.