Author Topic: Americans overseas a good thing?  (Read 10336 times)

Americans overseas a good thing?
« on: October 04, 2010, 07:14:06 AM »

Offline FranckNL

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 5
  • the Dutchman
Is it really good, for the popularity and development of the sport worldwide, that so many American players are going overseas to play the game? What are your thoughts about it?

For example I'll use the Dutch Basketball League (DBL). It's a small league with 10 teams and all teams have some Americans in it (except for Amsterdam).

Americans in DBL:

Amorrow Morgan (Idaho State)
Jesse Kimbrough  (Jacksonville)
Brandon Griffin (SE Missouri State)
Tyler Tiedeman (Boise State)
Tim Blue (Middle Tennessee State)
Frank Turner (Canisius)
Julian Mills (Ball State)
John Smith (Winona State/ Iowa (D-League))
Bobby Bostain (Furman)
Jason Ellis (Boise State/ Idaho (D-League))
Steve Ross (San Diego/Santa Clara)
John Turek (Nebraska)
Matt Haryasz (Stanford/ Arkansas (D-League))
Matt Bauscher (Boise State)
Mark Sanchez (Boise State)
Todd Brown (Wright State)
John Williams (Bryant/ Bakersfield (D-League))
Manny Adako (Northeastern)
Gerard Punch (Furman)
Calvin Chitwood (Cal State Northridge)
Ryan Anderson (Nebraska)
Thomas Jackson (Butler)
Monta McGhee (Lewis)
Jesse Smith (Idaho state/ Rio Grande, Reno & Dakota (D-League))
Seamus Boxley (Portland State/ Tulsa (D-League))
Brian Laing (Seton Hall/ Reno (D-League))
Zaire Taylor (Dellaware & Missouri)
Markel Humphrey (Marshall)
E.J. Kusnyer (Centenary & Mercer)
Brian Freeman (Long Beach)
Glenn Stokes (American)
Trey McDowell (Louisiana Tech)
Junior Hairston (College of Charleston & Towson)
Donte Minter  (Virginnia)
Lawrence Hamm (Towson)
Ben Strong  (Guilford)
Lawrence Borha (Utah)
Matt Mullery (Brown)
Harry Marshall (Indiana State)

This is a huge amount for a small league like the Dutch one and in my opinion it stops the growth of the sport over here. If I have to choose between going to a match over here or watch an NBA match on TV, I'll choose the latest. I see no sense in going and watch the Americans in Holland who couldn't make it in the states whilst I can watch the best Americans playing with some serious skills on TV. Same goes for the Television stations, they're not gonna broadcast a sport where you have to look really hard to find a Dutchman. And so they won't..

It also stops the growth of the Dutch Talents, with the exception of Rik Smits, Francisco Elson and Dan Gadzuric. I know this is the fault of the teams and I can't blame them, the Americans are really better at the game. But still if they give a chance to the Dutch players the sport can really start to grow over here, more people get interested and perhaps more big talents can come from here.

Maybe I'm wrong and will all these Americans help the Dutch with the Development of their skills but sometimes I feel that the Dutch Basketball sport will be better of without them.

I'm really only talking about the players, I have no doubt that we can use the coaches, their experience and knowledge of the game can only help the development of talents and popularity of the game in Europe.

Re: Americans overseas a good thing?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:04:26 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I just think this is a head start to the NBA going to an international level. I know that Stern has discussed his desire to expand overseas in the past. The more Americans that continue to get contracts overseas, the easier it will be for the NBA to turn national. I think this is a great possibility within the next few years.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:59:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Anyone know what happened in Greece to ruin Josh Childress?  Money?

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 12:15:42 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It really doesn't matter who is playing, so long as the sport is entertaining.

Look at the % of foreign players in US based NHL teams. Does it make any difference whatsoever? Fans just want to see good games.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 01:04:33 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Anyone know what happened in Greece to ruin Josh Childress?  Money?

I`d say so. He earned more money than ever by playing the easier seasons of his life. For two years he didn`t have to push himself the way players have to do in the NBA. And it`s easy not to get distracted by the nightlife in Athens

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Is it really good, for the popularity and development of the sport worldwide, that so many American players are going overseas to play the game? What are your thoughts about it?

For example I'll use the Dutch Basketball League (DBL). It's a small league with 10 teams and all teams have some Americans in it (except for Amsterdam).

Americans in DBL:

Amorrow Morgan (Idaho State)
Jesse Kimbrough  (Jacksonville)
Brandon Griffin (SE Missouri State)
Tyler Tiedeman (Boise State)
Tim Blue (Middle Tennessee State)
Frank Turner (Canisius)
Julian Mills (Ball State)
John Smith (Winona State/ Iowa (D-League))
Bobby Bostain (Furman)
Jason Ellis (Boise State/ Idaho (D-League))
Steve Ross (San Diego/Santa Clara)
John Turek (Nebraska)
Matt Haryasz (Stanford/ Arkansas (D-League))
Matt Bauscher (Boise State)
Mark Sanchez (Boise State)
Todd Brown (Wright State)
John Williams (Bryant/ Bakersfield (D-League))
Manny Adako (Northeastern)
Gerard Punch (Furman)
Calvin Chitwood (Cal State Northridge)
Ryan Anderson (Nebraska)
Thomas Jackson (Butler)
Monta McGhee (Lewis)
Jesse Smith (Idaho state/ Rio Grande, Reno & Dakota (D-League))
Seamus Boxley (Portland State/ Tulsa (D-League))
Brian Laing (Seton Hall/ Reno (D-League))
Zaire Taylor (Dellaware & Missouri)
Markel Humphrey (Marshall)
E.J. Kusnyer (Centenary & Mercer)
Brian Freeman (Long Beach)
Glenn Stokes (American)
Trey McDowell (Louisiana Tech)
Junior Hairston (College of Charleston & Towson)
Donte Minter  (Virginnia)
Lawrence Hamm (Towson)
Ben Strong  (Guilford)
Lawrence Borha (Utah)
Matt Mullery (Brown)
Harry Marshall (Indiana State)

This is a huge amount for a small league like the Dutch one and in my opinion it stops the growth of the sport over here. If I have to choose between going to a match over here or watch an NBA match on TV, I'll choose the latest. I see no sense in going and watch the Americans in Holland who couldn't make it in the states whilst I can watch the best Americans playing with some serious skills on TV. Same goes for the Television stations, they're not gonna broadcast a sport where you have to look really hard to find a Dutchman. And so they won't..

It also stops the growth of the Dutch Talents, with the exception of Rik Smits, Francisco Elson and Dan Gadzuric. I know this is the fault of the teams and I can't blame them, the Americans are really better at the game. But still if they give a chance to the Dutch players the sport can really start to grow over here, more people get interested and perhaps more big talents can come from here.

Maybe I'm wrong and will all these Americans help the Dutch with the Development of their skills but sometimes I feel that the Dutch Basketball sport will be better of without them.

I'm really only talking about the players, I have no doubt that we can use the coaches, their experience and knowledge of the game can only help the development of talents and popularity of the game in Europe.

Well, I think it's good for guys like John Smith and Gerard Punch that there are professional leagues where they can make a living playing the sport they love. 

On the other hand, the Toronto Raptors ought to be ashamed of themselves.  There are no Canadians at all on that roster.  What kind of role models are they going to be for young basketball hopefuls in that country.  Heck, all the Spaniards, Italians, and Lithuanians on that team could really stunt the basketball growth of young Canadian ballers from Ottowa to Saskatchewan and all points in between, eh.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:05:06 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Look at the % of foreign players in US based NHL teams. Does it make any difference whatsoever? Fans just want to see good games.
Simple as that.  Hey here's another "idea':  Only allow NBA teams to draft players who went to college/HS in their home state.  You don't want to stunt the growth of local basketball players, right?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:10:31 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 10:17:16 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Simple as that.  Hey here's another "idea':  Only allow NBA teams to draft players who went to college/HS in their home state.  You don't want to stunt the growth of local basketball players, right?
Didn't the NBA once have rules that gave teams preferential treatment for signing local products?

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 06:34:41 AM »

Offline LeoMoreno

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11

Josh Childress was one of Euroleague's best players. Yeah, he was the highest paid in Europe, but he was amazing rebounder, scorer, passer, anything you can think of. Olympiakos went to the finals of the Euroleague after his catch-and-dunk off Teodosic miss in the last second of the game (well it sent them to overtime anyway).
Many great American talents do a lot better in Europe than USA, ever. Just look at Bo McCalebb...

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »

Offline Army_of_One_Nation

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44

Didn't the NBA once have rules that gave teams preferential treatment for signing local products?

I think back then the NBA instituted territorial rights to players. Teams can only draft players that are in their territorial rights.
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end."
Larry Bird