Author Topic: Fultz ends season with triple-double (youngest ever)  (Read 6431 times)

Re: Fultz ends season with triple-double (youngest ever)
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 09:44:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If I never see / hear the phrase "triple double" ever again I will not mind one bit.

I'm done trying to draw any conclusions from what it means other than that a player came into contact frequently with the basketball over the course of the game.

That said, I could see Fultz becoming a valuable bench weapon for the Sixers in the playoffs and going into next year.

For the near future I think the Sixers are best served by maximizing their top lineup:

Simmons - Redick - Covington - Saric - Embiid

That group was __very__ good this year.  Their bench could use some help.
The Sixers starting 5 had the best net rating of any 5 man lineup playing over 300 minutes.  That lineup had better offensive and defensive ratings than the best offensive and defensive teams (117.1 offrtg and 95.7 defrtg).

The Sixers have a very high talent level right now but they still have to put it all together.
5th best regular season record and 3rd seed in the East is pretty pulled together already.  They need to make the right moves to become a true contender for the next decade.  What they do in free agency this offseason is going to be interesting and could enhance or stunt their potential.
I do agree that they're in a really good place, yet I feel as if their record is a bit inflated due to their somewhat empty win streak (beat 13 lottery teams, and there are lots of tanking teams). With Simmons still lacking a truly deadly offensive game (lack of free throw shooting and any shooting from range) I think they won't be a true contender, unless they snag LeBron / Paul George / whoever.

If they get a top 20 type player then Boston v Philly (assuming both teams are healthy) will be an awesome match-up. I look forward to it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 10:03:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
emptiest triple double ever?
Lots of personal bests in the last day of the season. Young guys especially. Meaningless.

A triple double in 25 mins, as a guy who had the yips bad enough to keep him out all season, is a big deal no matter how you slice it.  If it had been Jaylen or Jayson, the forum's server would be down.  That's a flash that you expect to see from a top pick and future star.

Allen ray once had like 30 something right?i assure you the servers didn't go down

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2018, 10:04:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
If I never see / hear the phrase "triple double" ever again I will not mind one bit.

I'm done trying to draw any conclusions from what it means other than that a player came into contact frequently with the basketball over the course of the game.

That said, I could see Fultz becoming a valuable bench weapon for the Sixers in the playoffs and going into next year.

For the near future I think the Sixers are best served by maximizing their top lineup:

The Sixers starting 5 had the best net rating of any 5 man lineup playing over 300 minutes.  That lineup had better offensive and defensive ratings than the best offensive and defensive teams (117.1 offrtg and 95.7 defrtg).

The Sixers have a very high talent level right now but they still have to put it all together.
5th best regular season record and 3rd seed in the East is pretty pulled together already.  They need to make the right moves to become a true contender for the next decade.  What they do in free agency this offseason is going to be interesting and could enhance or stunt their potential.
I do agree that they're in a really good place, yet I feel as if their record is a bit inflated due to their somewhat empty win streak (beat 13 lottery teams, and there are lots of tanking teams). With Simmons still lacking a truly deadly offensive game (lack of free throw shooting and any shooting from range) I think they won't be a true contender, unless they snag LeBron / Paul George / whoever.

If they get a top 20 type player then Boston v Philly (assuming both teams are healthy) will be an awesome match-up. I look forward to it

Thank you for being one of the few people that understands what was happening with the 76ers win streak. Playing 13 teams out of 17 that want to lose the game and are sitting players is incredible. Could even argue 14 since bucks had no interest in winning last night

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2018, 10:10:24 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Lots of personal bests in the last day of the season. Young guys especially. Meaningless.

A triple double in 25 mins, as a guy who had the yips bad enough to keep him out all season, is a big deal no matter how you slice it.  If it had been Jaylen or Jayson, the forum's server would be down.  That's a flash that you expect to see from a top pick and future star.

Allen ray once had like 30 something right?i assure you the servers didn't go down

Veiled internet quality brag
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2018, 10:04:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Thank you for being one of the few people that understands what was happening with the 76ers win streak. Playing 13 teams out of 17 that want to lose the game and are sitting players is incredible. Could even argue 14 since bucks had no interest in winning last night
Nets weren't trying to lose.  They played them twice in the streak which you aren't counting.  I'm not really sure the Knicks, Magic, Pistons, or Hornets were trying to lose either.  Those 5 teams aren't very good, but it is hard to say any of them were outright tanking. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2018, 11:03:53 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Nets weren't trying to lose.  They played them twice in the streak which you aren't counting.  I'm not really sure the Knicks, Magic, Pistons, or Hornets were trying to lose either.  Those 5 teams aren't very good, but it is hard to say any of them were outright tanking.

You could have fooled me regarding the Nets. We played them with our #9-10 and #12-18 best players on the roster. We literally didn't have any of our top 8 players and we still blew them out even though they were mostly healthy. They did have some wins down the stretch, but most of those were against teams that clearly had no intention of winning.

On a somewhat related note, I still think 'Brooklynettes' is the best name for a dance team I have ever heard...truly genius  ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 12:26:52 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2018, 11:15:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

You could have fooled me regarding the Nets. We played them with our #9-10 and #12-18 best players on the roster. We literally didn't have any of our top 8 players and we still blew them out even though they were mostly healthy. They did have some wins down the stretch, but most of those were against teams that clearly had no intention of winning.

On a somewhat related note, I still think 'Brooklynettes' is the best name for a dance team I have ever heard...truly genius  ;D
The Nets don't have their pick, why would they be trying to lose.  They have no incentive at all to lose.  They are just a bad team.  But a bad team and a team "trying to lose" are no where near the same thing.

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2018, 11:29:55 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Grade a level nitpicking, also very inaccurate. Why on earth wouldn't the Knicks be trying to lose?

When Porzginas went down the Knicks were 9 games under .500. They proceeded to win 6 games. Combined. In February. March. and April. They successfully moved from the 11th or 12th pick in draft to 9th. They shut down Kanter.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 12:40:32 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2018, 12:05:57 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I'm still kinda excited about Greg Minor's 30 pointer

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2018, 12:26:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

The Nets don't have their pick, why would they be trying to lose.  They have no incentive at all to lose.  They are just a bad team.  But a bad team and a team "trying to lose" are no where near the same thing.

Oh, I know - I was just commenting on how the Nets might have been more or less indifferent, at times, to finish off the season. They somehow pulled out that Bucks win, but looked absolutely abysmal against us. When teams don't have anything to play for, they may be inconsistent. Of course they weren't anything like CHI/ATL/PHX/MEM/etc who might as well have just stayed home in those last few.

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2018, 12:46:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Grade a level nitpicking, also very inaccurate. Why on earth wouldn't the Knicks be trying to lose?

When Porzginas went down the Knicks were 9 games under .500. They proceeded to win 6 games. Combined. In February. March. and April. They successfully moved from the 11th or 12th pick in draft to 9th. They shut down Kanter.
They are a bad team, but a bad team and a tanking team aren't the same thing.  Kanter is legitimately hurt.  You make it seem like they took a healthy guy and said, nah don't bother playing, and that just isn't the case.  They did shut down Lee and Hardaway the last game (Hardaway the last few), but they beat the Cavs in that one.  The Knicks roster is just terrible.  As you say they were below .500 with KP, without him they are just awful.

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2018, 12:55:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

They are a bad team, but a bad team and a tanking team aren't the same thing.  Kanter is legitimately hurt.  You make it seem like they took a healthy guy and said, nah don't bother playing, and that just isn't the case.  They did shut down Lee and Hardaway the last game (Hardaway the last few), but they beat the Cavs in that one.  The Knicks roster is just terrible.  As you say they were below .500 with KP, without him they are just awful.

Moranis, before you try to defend this win streak anymore with weird nonsense. What would you guess the cumulative record of the teams the 76ers played during this win streak was over 17 games (at the time they played them which actually makes them better)? 100 games under .500? 150 games under? 200?.....

Try 257 games. More than 3 seasons of losing every single game under .500. That is absolutely incredible and I think there is a very legitimate chance that it is an NBA record for a 17 game stretch (I will give 10 tommy points if anyone has a way of confirming this). You add in the fact that very many of these teams were actually trying to lose the games (knicks and nets sillyness nitpicking aside), and they were even worse than their records at the time. This is an absolutely incredible stretch and I am happy to point out the stats on it so other people realize it.

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2018, 01:45:09 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
one way or another the sixers faced the least capable of winning teams.

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2018, 02:03:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
one way or another the sixers faced the least capable of winning teams.

By comparison the Celtics had the opposite kind of luck. In our last 17 games we only played 6 lottery teams. While some people may think all schedules are equal this is simply not true.

The Knicks earlier in the season with Porzingas were hanging around about 8 games under .500.

The Suns tank was downright historic "But Phoenix engineered a superior tank compared to its competitors—and to almost every similar effort throughout league history. If the Suns lose on Tuesday, they will have won 15 games in the first half and five in the second, meaning their second-half win total will represent just 33.3 percent of their first-half tally. That’s the second-lowest percentage among more than 1,200 different teams that played an 82-game schedule" via the ringer

At the end of January Memphis was 14 games under .500. They sat their players and tanked like crazy at the end of the season to end an astounding 38 games under .500.

Dallas went 3-16 to close the season (they briefly stopped tanking for a bit after the fine from the league).

This is the real problem with widespread tanking for the league. It turns what are supposed to be balanced schedules into completely unbalanced schedules. If you flip the order the Celtics and 76ers played their games and keep everything else the same the Celtics probably win 4 more games and the 76ers probably lose 4-5 more. That's not right.

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2018, 02:30:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I never claimed Philly played a hard schedule during that stretch, I merely disputed the notion that 13 of the 17 games were against teams that were tanking as that just wasn't the case.  13 of the 17 games were against bad teams, but a bad team and a tanking team are not the same thing.  that was the only point I was making.