Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 121569 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)
« Reply #945 on: July 01, 2018, 10:15:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
https://twitter.com/IanKenyonNFL/status/1013599162292678657?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1013599162292678657&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fsan-antonio-spurs

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/1013599345764192256?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1013599345764192256&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fsan-antonio-spurs

Stephen A. Smith is stating that Kawhi has threatened to sit out next season unless he's traded to LAL.

How true that is is up for debate, but, yeah, I'm glad that we're not more interested in him, as does anyone really doubt that report at this point? Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. He's really soured his reputation across the league with how he's handled this situation with a top-class organization.

Hopefully Buford and Pop remain hard-headed and either refuse to trade him to LA or just simply refuse to trade him and let him sit out all season. That'd be a major hit to his reputation, and would they even be required to pay him if he's voluntarily sitting out without an injury excuse?

Guy threatening to sit should be penalized by the league. At minimum loses salary. Commish may need to step in here if Kawhi sits. I hope Spurs stay firm.

« Reply #946 on: July 01, 2018, 10:18:38 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://twitter.com/IanKenyonNFL/status/1013599162292678657?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1013599162292678657&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fsan-antonio-spurs

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/1013599345764192256?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1013599345764192256&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fsan-antonio-spurs

Stephen A. Smith is stating that Kawhi has threatened to sit out next season unless he's traded to LAL.

How true that is is up for debate, but, yeah, I'm glad that we're not more interested in him, as does anyone really doubt that report at this point? Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. He's really soured his reputation across the league with how he's handled this situation with a top-class organization.

Hopefully Buford and Pop remain hard-headed and either refuse to trade him to LA or just simply refuse to trade him and let him sit out all season. That'd be a major hit to his reputation, and would they even be required to pay him if he's voluntarily sitting out without an injury excuse?

Guy threatening to sit should be penalized by the league. At minimum loses salary. Commish may need to step in here if Kawhi sits. I hope Spurs stay firm.
penalties like that need to be approved by the players union in the CBA.. Never going to happen

« Reply #947 on: July 01, 2018, 10:26:22 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Now hearing reports that Boston is 'open' to trading Kyrie for Kahwi.  I'm thinking this is fake news.  If you trade Kyrie you create a hole at the 1.  From what I saw, Rozier is nowhere near the level of KI. 

Meanwhile the Celtics already have a wealth of wings with Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and add Kahwi on top of that?  It would make more sense to move Brown or Hayward so there would be enough wing minutes to go around.

Did the news that Ainge talked to San Antonio about offering up Kyrie Irving in a trade mid-season sour Irving on the Celtics ? Some are saying that is what led to Irving being so lukewarm in his response to the question of extending his stay in Boston. Danny does not treat his guys respectfully and never has - he shops them publicly and does very little to reward loyalty. He angered Ray Allen, gutted Kendrick Perkins, treated Leon Powe and Isaiah Thomas like damaged goods to be thrown away and has now possibly turned Irving away from a long future in Boston.

Remember when Red kept a broken-down Kevin McHale mostly out of loyalty because McHale had sacrificed his health in the 1987 playoffs by playing on a broken foot. Danny needs to take a few lessons from Red Auerbach and remember that the Celtics are supposed to be a special franchise to play for, a unique place in the NBA wasteland.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #948 on: July 01, 2018, 11:50:25 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The Los Angeles Lakers and San Antonio Spurs have been in touch on a Kawhi Leonard trade two times on Sunday and may talk again this evening.

"San Antonio is asking for the house," said Stephen A. Smith. "Kyle Kuzma is off limits. They're not willing to surrender three picks. Their mentality is that Kawhi Leonard wants to be a Laker (now or in 2019)."

Smith also reports that Leonard could even sit out the 18-19 season if he's not traded to the Lakers. Smith clarified that he's heard this from other executives and not directly from Leonard on that report.

The Lakers are prepared to walk away from trade talks with the Spurs if a deal isn't done by Monday.

« Reply #949 on: July 01, 2018, 11:53:19 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
The Los Angeles Lakers and San Antonio Spurs have been in touch on a Kawhi Leonard trade two times on Sunday and may talk again this evening.

"San Antonio is asking for the house," said Stephen A. Smith. "Kyle Kuzma is off limits. They're not willing to surrender three picks. Their mentality is that Kawhi Leonard wants to be a Laker (now or in 2019)."

Smith also reports that Leonard could even sit out the 18-19 season if he's not traded to the Lakers. Smith clarified that he's heard this from other executives and not directly from Leonard on that report.

The Lakers are prepared to walk away from trade talks with the Spurs if a deal isn't done by Monday.

Isn't it breach of contract is Kawhi sits out the season? Can't the Spurs take legal action?

« Reply #950 on: July 01, 2018, 11:56:25 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

Isn't it breach of contract is Kawhi sits out the season? Can't the Spurs take legal action?

I hope that happens. Strip away all of Kawhi's free agency rights. The Lakers could lose out on Kawhi.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #951 on: July 02, 2018, 12:08:49 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

Waste one of Lebron’s last good years waiting for Kawhi because you’re being stingy? Sounds good to me! Remember, PG was supposedly for sure heading to LA in free agency, too.

Ultimately, though, I think this is just posturing. I expect them to fold and San Antonio to compromise at least a little bit. Too much risk otherwise, such as Leonard getting hurt again in San Antonio or deciding to stay.

« Reply #952 on: July 02, 2018, 12:37:08 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Question, couldn't the Spurs sign and trade Leonard to the Celtics if all parties agree?  They could sign him to like a 3 or 4 year deal and then trade him to the Celtics for the accepted compensation, and since Kawhi was the S&T player, his salary would count for half for trade purposes, making the trade easier to match up financially under the cap.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-NBA-trade-free-agency-work

"A team is not allowed to sign another team’s free agent and then immediately trade him. However, a team is allowed to re-sign their own free agent and immediately trade him to another team by adding a clause to the contract making it invalid if the player is not traded to a specific team within 48 hours. A sign-and-trade contract must be for three years or longer, and a team does not acquire the player’s Bird rights."

« Reply #953 on: July 02, 2018, 12:56:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

penalties like that need to be approved by the players union in the CBA.. Never going to happen

I'm no expert on the CBA but I feel very confident that there are rules about what happens to a player if he decides to not play without medical reason. I also think if there's one team in the league that would be willing to take this stand off all the way, it's the Spurs, especially with where Popovich is right now in his career. He's got nothing to lose.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #954 on: July 03, 2018, 10:36:33 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Does the Boogie GSW signing change Danny's thoughts on offer for KL?  Seems the gap between us and GSW just widened.  Do we take the risk that KL will love it here?

« Reply #955 on: July 03, 2018, 10:44:50 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I'm no expert on the CBA but I feel very confident that there are rules about what happens to a player if he decides to not play without medical reason. I also think if there's one team in the league that would be willing to take this stand off all the way, it's the Spurs, especially with where Popovich is right now in his career. He's got nothing to lose.

If he is withholding services from his contract the team can suspend him.  There is also a possibility of arbitration to resolve the dispute.

« Reply #956 on: July 03, 2018, 10:45:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Does the Boogie GSW signing change Danny's thoughts on offer for KL?  Seems the gap between us and GSW just widened.  Do we take the risk that KL will love it here?
I don't think Boogie changes anything about the Celtics outlook since Boogie is only going to be there one year.

If anything it makes the all-in potential of a Kawhi deal with no assurances giving up picks and/or Brown less attractive. Why go all in for a guy who's very likely to leave when the GSW have even more talent for that one year rental window.

« Reply #957 on: July 03, 2018, 10:52:37 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Ryan hollins is just as terrible on first take as he was on the court ::)

« Reply #958 on: July 03, 2018, 10:55:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think the Bucks or Raptors should go all in and acquire Leonard (for different reasons).  The East is now more open and both of those teams have an incentive to try and capitalize on the present.  For the Raptors it gives them one last hurrah.  Add Leonard to DeRozan and you have a dynamite wing combo.  Not sure if something like this works for the Spurs, but Powell, Poeltl, and Anunoby I believe gets them enough salary.  It would strip the Raptors young guys, but would give them an incredible starting 5 in Lowry, DeRozan, Leonard, Ibaka, and Valanciunas.  Maybe you can convince Leonard to stay with that sort of team going forward, especially if they make the finals.

The Bucks on the other hand could use a deep run and a vet to help guide Giannis' ascension.  And who knows maybe the thought of playing next to Giannis for the next decade sounds appealing to Leonard.  A trade centered around Middleton with maybe Brogdon and/or Maker may be appealing to the Spurs.  The Bucks also have enough salary that they can swap contracts so like Henson and Mills or Gasol can be added (Spurs shave a year). 

Both Milwaukee and Toronto could use a Finals run to really energize their fan bases and Leonard is clearly available and with no one giving up primo assets, it might be the time for the Bucks or Raptors to engage discussions.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #959 on: July 03, 2018, 11:06:22 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think the Bucks or Raptors should go all in and acquire Leonard (for different reasons).  The East is now more open and both of those teams have an incentive to try and capitalize on the present.  For the Raptors it gives them one last hurrah.  Add Leonard to DeRozan and you have a dynamite wing combo.  Not sure if something like this works for the Spurs, but Powell, Poeltl, and Anunoby I believe gets them enough salary.  It would strip the Raptors young guys, but would give them an incredible starting 5 in Lowry, DeRozan, Leonard, Ibaka, and Valanciunas.  Maybe you can convince Leonard to stay with that sort of team going forward, especially if they make the finals.

The Bucks on the other hand could use a deep run and a vet to help guide Giannis' ascension.  And who knows maybe the thought of playing next to Giannis for the next decade sounds appealing to Leonard.  A trade centered around Middleton with maybe Brogdon and/or Maker may be appealing to the Spurs.  The Bucks also have enough salary that they can swap contracts so like Henson and Mills or Gasol can be added (Spurs shave a year). 

Both Milwaukee and Toronto could use a Finals run to really energize their fan bases and Leonard is clearly available and with no one giving up primo assets, it might be the time for the Bucks or Raptors to engage discussions.
I can see the point of Mil or Tor wanting to add Kawhi.  I don't think either of those packages comes close though.