Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 121618 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)
« Reply #885 on: June 29, 2018, 10:50:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Does anybody else think we are being used as leverage? It comes out that Spurs are trading Leonard, and immediately its the Celtics and Lakers reported as involved. This is the spurs signaling to the Lakers to start the bidding, and bring your A game because your hated rival with a ton of assets is in this thing. Then names like Brown, Irving get thrown around and the Celtics leak that Brown isn't on the table because they don't wnat to p--- him off and make him think he's in trade talks. We saw how Irving responded to that in Cle last year. Its not worth it to drive up the price on LA if you alienate a young star. Furthermore now we see reports that the Celtics and Spurs have barely even spoken about Kawhi, and no real offers have been made. It seems obvious that the Spurs and Lakers are really negotiating, and it makes sense because thats where Kawhi wants to go, and the Lakers are desperate (a lot more so then the Celtics or 76ers). In the end Kawhi will get traded there for a Ingram, Kuzma, draft pick package is my guess.

Yep, fine by me. Ainge should tell Buford to go crazy with leaked rumors. Both Ainge and Buford want the same thing: the Lakers pay through the nose for him. If we can help with that, we will. If Ainge is worried about players like Brown or Irving getting peeved that they are reportedly being offered, shoot them a text and say don’t sweat it, you’re not going anywhere.

And if the Lakers won’t pony up, maybe we will swoop in.

Win-win for us.
I'm sorry, but why on earth do you think it benefits us in the least for the Lakers to over pay?

This isn't the 80s. The Lakers are almost utterly inconsequential to the Celtics right now. If I'm Ainge, I'd rather be concerned with showing a little  loyalty to my best players. He's on the verge of building a championship contender and lets the media portray it as if he's dying to tear it apart for a one year rental.

I agree with your well stated sentiments regarding loyalty to his players.  But Danny seems to have a pretty open communication with his players (e.g., Rozier on draft night) and I'm sure is careful to let them know whether the rumors are false or not.

Now whether they believe him is another story altogether!

« Reply #886 on: June 29, 2018, 10:55:10 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Does anybody else think we are being used as leverage? It comes out that Spurs are trading Leonard, and immediately its the Celtics and Lakers reported as involved. This is the spurs signaling to the Lakers to start the bidding, and bring your A game because your hated rival with a ton of assets is in this thing. Then names like Brown, Irving get thrown around and the Celtics leak that Brown isn't on the table because they don't wnat to p--- him off and make him think he's in trade talks. We saw how Irving responded to that in Cle last year. Its not worth it to drive up the price on LA if you alienate a young star. Furthermore now we see reports that the Celtics and Spurs have barely even spoken about Kawhi, and no real offers have been made. It seems obvious that the Spurs and Lakers are really negotiating, and it makes sense because thats where Kawhi wants to go, and the Lakers are desperate (a lot more so then the Celtics or 76ers). In the end Kawhi will get traded there for a Ingram, Kuzma, draft pick package is my guess.

Yep, fine by me. Ainge should tell Buford to go crazy with leaked rumors. Both Ainge and Buford want the same thing: the Lakers pay through the nose for him. If we can help with that, we will. If Ainge is worried about players like Brown or Irving getting peeved that they are reportedly being offered, shoot them a text and say don’t sweat it, you’re not going anywhere.

Win-win for us.
I'm sorry, but why on earth do you think it benefits us in the least for the Lakers to over pay?

This isn't the 80s. The Lakers are almost utterly inconsequential to the Celtics right now. If I'm Ainge, I'd rather be concerned with showing a little  loyalty to my best players. He's on the verge of building a championship contender and lets the media portray it as if he's dying to tear it apart for a one year rental.

I agree with your well stated sentiments regarding loyalty to his players.  But Danny seems to have a pretty open communication with his players (e.g., Rozier on draft night) and I'm sure is careful to let them know whether the rumors are false or not.

I doubt he shares anything with them.

They are all multimillionaire professional entertainers, and they realize that part of the job is that they may be required to relocate to another city to do their entertaining.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #887 on: June 29, 2018, 11:31:58 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
This is too much:

https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1012718759356878848

I honestly feel bad for them. Not that I think they're blameless, but it's a tough spot for a seemingly good franchise.

« Reply #888 on: June 29, 2018, 11:38:56 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Win-win for us.

If a team that is trying to put together a championship roster gets major talent at a below market cost, that a) gives them additional resources to pursue additional talent and b) means that the Celtics perhaps missed out on acquiring said talent themselves at a reduced rate.  I agree that it doesn’t matter if it’s the Lakers compared to the Warriors, Rockets, Cavs (with LeBron), Raptors, or Sixers, but there is always benefit to the Celtics to make sure that competitors are paying the full price for MVP-caliber players, if they are ultimately going to wind up with them anyway.

« Reply #889 on: June 29, 2018, 11:59:09 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Win-win for us.

If a team that is trying to put together a championship roster gets major talent at a below market cost, that a) gives them additional resources to pursue additional talent and b) means that the Celtics perhaps missed out on acquiring said talent themselves at a reduced rate.  I agree that it doesn’t matter if it’s the Lakers compared to the Warriors, Rockets, Cavs (with LeBron), Raptors, or Sixers, but there is always benefit to the Celtics to make sure that competitors are paying the full price for MVP-caliber players, if they are ultimately going to wind up with them anyway.

I agree. I think its a good play, if thats what is going on. I dont think the risk of alienating a player like Brown is that high mostly because I trust Ainge to comunícate and keep things like that from escalating.

« Reply #890 on: June 29, 2018, 12:16:04 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
This is too much:

I honestly feel bad for them. Not that I think they're blameless, but it's a tough spot for a seemingly good franchise.

Why would they wish him HBD when clearly he's not returning and he burned bridges with that organization lol. Hope he has a horrible birthday unless he's going to Boston with a long-term commitment.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #891 on: June 29, 2018, 12:17:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Win-win for us.

I doubt he shares anything with them.

They are all multimillionaire professional entertainers, and they realize that part of the job is that they may be required to relocate to another city to do their entertaining.

Yeah, I know that IT, Ray, Antoine and Avery all felt pretty blindsided.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #892 on: June 29, 2018, 12:27:06 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919
This is too much:

Why would they wish him HBD when clearly he's not returning and he burned bridges with that organization lol. Hope he has a horrible birthday unless he's going to Boston with a long-term commitment.

At this point, they have nothing to lose and can make another public showing that they want him to stay.

Mike

« Reply #893 on: June 29, 2018, 12:36:29 PM »

Offline Kevins Gamble

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
This is too much:

At this point, they have nothing to lose and can make another public showing that they want him to stay.

Mike

Or that their account is ran by one of their social media millennials who doesn't really follow the team (especially during the off-season), but does know that the Trello board shows 6/28: "Prep birthday graphic for K.Leonard" and 6/29: "Post birthday content for K.Leonard".  I'm confident if he had been traded over the weekend, he would have still received birthday wishes from GoSpursGo!
"AAAAAHAHAAAAHHAAA....take that with your beard....AAAAHHHHAAHHHAAHHAAH..YAAAHHHAHAHAH!!!"
- Cedric Maxwell, Esq

« Reply #894 on: June 29, 2018, 01:23:31 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Now hearing reports that Boston is 'open' to trading Kyrie for Kahwi.  I'm thinking this is fake news.  If you trade Kyrie you create a hole at the 1.  From what I saw, Rozier is nowhere near the level of KI. 

Meanwhile the Celtics already have a wealth of wings with Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and add Kahwi on top of that?  It would make more sense to move Brown or Hayward so there would be enough wing minutes to go around.

« Reply #895 on: June 29, 2018, 01:30:38 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919
Now hearing reports that Boston is 'open' to trading Kyrie for Kahwi.  I'm thinking this is fake news.  If you trade Kyrie you create a hole at the 1.  From what I saw, Rozier is nowhere near the level of KI. 

Meanwhile the Celtics already have a wealth of wings with Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and add Kahwi on top of that?  It would make more sense to move Brown or Hayward so there would be enough wing minutes to go around.

Just drivin' up that price for the Lakers...

Mike

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
https://sports.yahoo.com/source-kawhi-leonard-reaches-lebron-james-hopes-play-210550904.html

Hurry up and go to the Lakers LeBron get it over with. Did I mention I loved Kawhi but now hate him? Lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #897 on: June 29, 2018, 05:05:49 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Reports from where? If there's no source, you're just adding to the noise.

The Cavs discussing Kyrie in trade packages was the beginning of him wanting out. I don't see the Celtics going down the exact same road with Kawhi being such a risk to bolt to the Lakers.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #898 on: June 29, 2018, 05:29:04 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

Reports from where? If there's no source, you're just adding to the noise.

The Cavs discussing Kyrie in trade packages was the beginning of him wanting out. I don't see the Celtics going down the exact same road with Kawhi being such a risk to bolt to the Lakers.

And every source is accurate too ::)

« Reply #899 on: June 29, 2018, 05:48:18 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Spurs Privately Acknowledge Relationship With Kawhi Leonard Cannot Be Repaired

The San Antonio Spurs preferred retaining Kawhi Leonard this offseason and hoped to repair the relationship. Leonard has been adamant in his trade demand and the Spurs have given up the hope of keeping him.

"I was told yesterday in pretty strong terms they're ready to move on," said Marc Stein on The Dan Patrick Show. "They know this relationship cannot be repaired. This is beyond Pop and Kawhi meeting face to face and fixing it as Pop was able to do with LaMarcus Aldridge last summer. It is pretty much gone at this point."

The Spurs are now open to trading Leonard but are not in a rush.

The Los Angeles Lakers are Leonard's preferred destination but the Philadelphia 76ers are another team that is seeking a trade for Leonard.

"Philadelphia badly wants him," said Stein.

https://twitter.com/dpshow/status/1012795341232488448