Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 121585 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)
« Reply #840 on: June 28, 2018, 06:32:27 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Problem is how do you get him to commit if he opts out next yr... Which he will and he will not negotiate any extensions so he does not lose out money wise... Verbal commitments are meh in this day and age.. For all we know he could pull a Boozer.. Commit but not really on the eleventh hour.

It’s risky but if your only giving up brown, if he walks your left with replacing a solid bench scorer. which they could potentially get via sign/trade for Kawhi next year or free agency.  It’s not ideal but bringing in him and only losing brown and maybe a pick you gotta think that puts them in the title picture as a win.  Winning would be enough for him to stay I’d hope.
also we can try to replace him with either the sac pick or a free agent like klay Thompson . Or worst case someone like reddick

Not ideal but I can see the thought process

« Reply #841 on: June 28, 2018, 06:32:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I do not think you can ad other players with the sign n trade situation?   Can someone verify that?

Not true.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #842 on: June 28, 2018, 06:36:26 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Thanks Roy...whats the deal with a sign and trade.  I thought you could not combine another player going out in that trade? 

Because this then gets my creative juices flowing. 

I can see a three way trade where we ship out Kyrie and get longer contracts in Ingram, Randel, Kuzman and picks....While Leonard moves to LA.    And we gain some cap space too.    Who knows... Danny is brilliant.   
Diggles

« Reply #843 on: June 28, 2018, 06:37:22 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Problem is how do you get him to commit if he opts out next yr... Which he will and he will not negotiate any extensions so he does not lose out money wise... Verbal commitments are meh in this day and age.. For all we know he could pull a Boozer.. Commit but not really on the eleventh hour.

It’s risky but if your only giving up brown, if he walks your left with replacing a solid bench scorer. which they could potentially get via sign/trade for Kawhi next year or free agency.  It’s not ideal but bringing in him and only losing brown and maybe a pick you gotta think that puts them in the title picture as a win.  Winning would be enough for him to stay I’d hope.

If you arent getting a long term assurance u dont do Brown for Leonard straight up. Brown is not a projected as a solid bench scorer, he is better than that right now and still only 21.
I don't get the thought process some have that losing Brown is no big deal.

Players like him don't grow on trees. I don't want a team with a 1 year window. I want a team to compete long term, and throwing away young players for headcases, even one as talented as KL, makes little sense.

« Reply #844 on: June 28, 2018, 06:37:30 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
I'm not buying the Sixers rumor. Spurs are "strongly interested" in Covington, Saric and 2021 Heat Pick? That's it??!?!?

My guess is, by adding emphasis to the pick, the Spurs are pushing for a draft pick IN addition to Kuzma, Ingram and Randle (S&T). Or Hart. Either Hart or a pick as the fourth asset.

The WaPo is reporting the Lakers and Nuggets are in discussions to send Faried and/or Wilson Chandler and Darrell Arthur to the Lakers along with a draft pick as a salary dump to avoid luxury tax. All are expiring contracts.

Faried alone has a salary of $13.7M.

It would appear the Lakers want the pick to sweeter the pot for San Antonio. But wouldn't this acquisition effectively eliminate their ability to sign both James and George?

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2018/6/28/17516016/rumor-denver-nuggets-interested-in-salary-dump-with-los-angeles-lakers-nba-trade-rumors

« Reply #845 on: June 28, 2018, 06:39:31 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm not buying the Sixers rumor. Spurs are "strongly interested" in Covington, Saric and 2021 Heat Pick? That's it??!?!?

My guess is, by adding emphasis to the pick, the Spurs are pushing for a draft pick IN addition to Kuzma, Ingram and Randle (S&T). Or Hart. Either Hart or a pick as the fourth asset.

The WaPo is reporting the Lakers and Nuggets are in discussions to send Faried and/or Wilson Chandler and Darrell Arthur to the Lakers along with a draft pick as a salary dump to avoid luxury tax. All are expiring contracts.

It would appear the Lakers want the pick to sweeter the pot for San Antonio. But wouldn't this acquisition effectively eliminate their ability to sign both James and George?

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2018/6/28/17516016/rumor-denver-nuggets-interested-in-salary-dump-with-los-angeles-lakers-nba-trade-rumors

Pretty sure it would, but as Woj tweeted yesterday, this move would mean they can trade for Kawhi and have space for 1 max FA, but could also allow them to keep one of Kuzma/Ingram (not trade both to SAS). I think there's belief that PG13 actually stays in OKC. I'd be shocked if he does, but honestly idk anymore lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #846 on: June 28, 2018, 06:49:46 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Above the rim now reports a combo of smart, rozier, brown, morris, and two firsts.  Any combination that works.  Waiting for a long term commit from Leonard.

Who?

Tupac is returning for the sequel.

Reports out of SA that Popovich is considering a package headlined by Kyle Lee Watson.  Motaw, Shep and Flip needed to match salaries.
You hear that, Nutso? The boy here says he owes me.

HE owes ME!  Are we even? ARE WE EVEN? You don't owe me nothin. You owe yourself and ones who cared to get you here.

Classic, never gets old.  :)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #847 on: June 28, 2018, 07:07:36 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo

Pretty sure it would, but as Woj tweeted yesterday, this move would mean they can trade for Kawhi and have space for 1 max FA, but could also allow them to keep one of Kuzma/Ingram (not trade both to SAS). I think there's belief that PG13 actually stays in OKC. I'd be shocked if he does, but honestly idk anymore lol.

If i'm San Antonio I think I'd rather have Kuzma than a mid-late 1st.

I was doing some cap math... which is always dangerous...  :D

Assuming the Lakers trade for Kawhi and literally gut their entire team and strip all salary, if they were to absorb Faried's $14M that should indeed take them out of the running for both LeBron and George unless they take a $5M discount.

Faried $14M
Kawhi $20M
LeBron max $35M
George max $30M
8 additional cap hold roster spots $7M total

That adds up to $106M against a $101M cap.

« Reply #848 on: June 28, 2018, 07:34:01 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
This is a little off topic, but tangentially related

Apparently in his new documentary Paul George mentions the Celtics along with the Lakers and Clippers as teams he's like to play for.

That doesn't really seem financially feasible, but at the very least it shows how much league opinions of this organization have changed.

https://twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1012465785892032512

« Reply #849 on: June 28, 2018, 07:37:29 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
This is a little off topic, but tangentially related

Apparently in his new documentary Paul George mentions the Celtics along with the Lakers and Clippers as teams he's like to play for.

That doesn't really seem financially feasible, but at the very least it shows how much league opinions of this organization have changed.

https://twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1012465785892032512

Not far fetched, considering we were angling to try to get Hayward with George.

A
mid all the noise, George remains in Indiana (for the time being) and team president Larry Bird has expressed his desire to continue to build around his star player. And according to ESPN’s Zach Lowe, George reportedly has a player in mind of who he’d like to join forces with. “George would love to play with hometown boy Gordon Hayward, according to sources,” Lowe writes. Hayward is an Indianapolis native and played collegiately at Butler. Joining the Pacers would be a homecoming of sorts for the Utah Jazz forward, but Lowe reports it’s “unlikely” that takes place. Hayward is set to become a free agent at the conclusion of the season, though, so moving on from Utah wouldn’t be a stretch of the imagination. Hayward’s head coach at Butler was current Celtics head coach Brad Stevens, so it wouldn’t be surprising if Boston kicked the tires on Hayward this summer.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2017/03/nba-rumors-pacers-star-paul-george-wants-to-play-with-gordon-hayward/
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #850 on: June 28, 2018, 07:37:33 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

Assuming the Lakers trade for Kawhi and literally gut their entire team and strip all salary, if they were to absorb Faried's $14M that should indeed take them out of the running for both LeBron and George unless they take a $5M discount.

Faried $14M
Kawhi $20M
LeBron max $35M
George max $30M

How are you getting rid of Deng's contract?  That's going to cost a lot.  If somehow they could get to what you are proposing, they could always waive and stretch Faried's contract over 3 years. 

« Reply #851 on: June 28, 2018, 07:40:34 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
To be honest, I would take George over Kawhi. Now before you raise your pitchforks, at least George has the better mentality, and at least told the Pacers that he wanted to be traded. He didn't selectively choose the Lakers as his only destination, thus eroding any trade value he had, (at the time Oladipo/Sabonis wasn't considered a great deal,) and he seems like he is still the solid 2nd/3rd go to option. In our offense, he would be most likely 2nd or even leading in assists in our team. He's a willing passer with the knack to knock down shots, and in our switch heavy defense, he would be playing so many passing lanes for easy steals.

While Kawhi is undoubtedly still a top 7 MVP player when healthy, I'm not sure his baggage and his attitude is worth taking on anymore.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #852 on: June 28, 2018, 07:50:03 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo

Faried $14M
Kawhi $20M
LeBron max $35M
George max $30M

How are you getting rid of Deng's contract?  That's going to cost a lot.  If somehow they could get to what you are proposing, they could always waive and stretch Faried's contract over 3 years.

Presumably they'd have to include Lonzo to rid themselves of Deng.

I forgot about the stretch, that would get them just below where they'd need to be.

But then all they'd have to fill out the roster would be would be the mid-level exception, the biannual exception, and minimum salary slots. That team would be paper-thin. A couple injuries and they would be totally hosed, third-stringers get exposed quickly in the playoffs.

« Reply #853 on: June 28, 2018, 08:03:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
To be honest, I would take George over Kawhi. Now before you raise your pitchforks, at least George has the better mentality, and at least told the Pacers that he wanted to be traded. He didn't selectively choose the Lakers as his only destination, thus eroding any trade value he had, (at the time Oladipo/Sabonis wasn't considered a great deal,) and he seems like he is still the solid 2nd/3rd go to option. In our offense, he would be most likely 2nd or even leading in assists in our team. He's a willing passer with the knack to knock down shots, and in our switch heavy defense, he would be playing so many passing lanes for easy steals.

While Kawhi is undoubtedly still a top 7 MVP player when healthy, I'm not sure his baggage and his attitude is worth taking on anymore.

Same here.

I wonder if a sign and trade around Smart and Brown and/or picks would suffice?

« Reply #854 on: June 28, 2018, 08:12:06 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

I would as well- especially with a sign and trade that guarantees him here for four years.

My heart still wants Brown here but maybe Smart and Brown with Westbrook could make sense and might work with a pick.