Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 121655 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)
« Reply #810 on: June 28, 2018, 04:36:22 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Let's do Brown for Kawhi if we can get Davis for Tatum =).

Irving/ Hayward/ Kawhi/ Davis/ Horford

Video games are fun.

« Reply #811 on: June 28, 2018, 04:36:37 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Feels like the Lakers get it done in the long run
remember when George asked to be traded to lakers last season? He changed his mind. Kyrie wanted Knicks. He changed his mind. Ainge is going to gamble

That would be the only reason a trade for KL for KI would make any sense. If you thought you had a better chance of keeping KL over KI.

« Reply #812 on: June 28, 2018, 04:40:08 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Kawhi has let everyone know he plans on signing with LA.

Nothing of value should be offered. We don't have assets to burn. We got this roster and the team everyone wants to trade with because we haven't done stupid things like give up good players and picks for a one year rental.

I'll admit I did not read all 60 pages of this thread, but I have not seen enough comments like the one above.
I understand why such a talented player is coveted by many teams, but there are real concerns here. Between the way he handled last year, the extent of the injury that limited him to 7(?) games, and the fact that he has all but committed to the Lakers next year, I don't know why anybody is bothering trying to trade for him.

I believe Kawhi has thrown that out there (LA only) because he knows getting traded there is his most logical way there.

If he gets traded elsewhere, he may not be able to get there at all (if they sign two max free agents this summer), and even if he does, it will be for like $50 million less.

I think it’s a bluff that he definitely won’t resign anywhere else and will go to the Clippers if need be. Do you really think he would leave a defending championship squad AND leave $50M on the table in his prime to be on a non-contender in his hometown?
He's throwing away a fortune walking away from a potential supermax. So obviously, the extra $$$ isn't as important to him as getting out of San Antonio.

As quirky as things have gone with him the last year, there is nothing that can be said or done that will justify Ainge giving up a valuable asset - like Jaylen Brown - for him.

« Reply #813 on: June 28, 2018, 04:42:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
two things are in play

Spurs absolutely don't want to rebuild the Lakers to contender status ,  at the same time they move him OUT of the West .   This also might KEEP Lebron pinned down in Clevland out of the West . The NBA likes this too ....more parity

Second ....IMO Celtics and 76 ers have the most attractive packages to offer

If I were the Spurs ,   that list about tops anything Lakers or Clipper could provide .

IMO ...Lebron seems hesitant to jump ship to Lakers with no stars there this year , that means another year wasted waiting for George and or Kawhi to show up .  Then amybe another year to put it all together and contend.  James will be 36-37 by that time.  His fast way to a ring is Boston, Houston , or Philly . 

« Reply #814 on: June 28, 2018, 04:42:41 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
remember when George asked to be traded to lakers last season? He changed his mind. Kyrie wanted Knicks. He changed his mind. Ainge is going to gamble

That would be the only reason a trade for KL for KI would make any sense. If you thought you had a better chance of keeping KL over KI.
Agreed, although I don't know how anyone can get that sense at all.

Also, we'd have 4 guys with similar skill sets, none of them a point guard. We'd likely have a follow up trade sending someone else out to patch the hole left by trading Kyrie.

There is no move involving Leonard that doesn't carry a mountain of risk with it.

« Reply #815 on: June 28, 2018, 04:45:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Kinda comes down to how adamant Kawhi is about being a Laker . 

I would want a meeting with him face to face if Im Danny and CBS

« Reply #816 on: June 28, 2018, 04:48:14 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
It's been reported everywhere that Kawhi isn't giving any assurance to anyone other than LAL.

Either this is just SAS posturing for Laker concessions, or Danny Ainge is insane.

until now?

https://twitter.com/redsarmy_john/status/1012432719236812802?s=21

New Post:  Report: Kawhi Leonard open to playing in other markets (i.e. Boston): Via Sports

« Reply #817 on: June 28, 2018, 04:49:30 PM »

Offline Shoot the J

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 33

He had no choice but to go where the Pacers sent him, and now he's opted out. In a week, we will know if he changed his mind or not.

« Reply #818 on: June 28, 2018, 04:52:44 PM »

Offline Kevins Gamble

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Kawhi has let everyone know he plans on signing with LA.

Nothing of value should be offered. We don't have assets to burn. We got this roster and the team everyone wants to trade with because we haven't done stupid things like give up good players and picks for a one year rental.

I'll admit I did not read all 60 pages of this thread, but I have not seen enough comments like the one above.
I understand why such a talented player is coveted by many teams, but there are real concerns here. Between the way he handled last year, the extent of the injury that limited him to 7(?) games, and the fact that he has all but committed to the Lakers next year, I don't know why anybody is bothering trying to trade for him.

This x1000...while it's obviously tantalizing to draw up our 2019 lineups with Leonard penciled in...I can only think about how we're going to feel next year at this time when he's standing on a podium with Magic, all smiles while he holds up his new Laker jersey AND we look to a future of hearing about Jaylen Brown leading an invigorated and young Spurs team to the playoffs year after year.

If someone wants to pay a kings ransom for a one year rental...let them.  If we want to stay in this to make sure either the Lakers or Sixers have to....awesome.  But let's not trick ourselves here...

At the same time, reports this time last year were that Paul George was a lock to go to the Lakers, and now he's apparently leaning toward staying in OKC. 

I wouldn't do a trade without a promise to sign, either, but it's not as straightforward as "he's definitely going to the Lakers in a year".

Sure...you always take that risk when an athlete would prefer in a perfect world to play somewhere else.  But can you think of another situation where a player has been this open about wanting to play in a specific city or for a specific franchise AND is coming off a situation where there are legitimate questions about how far he's willing to go to manipulate a trade from his current team.  Sure, he could love Boston and decide to stay.  But are we really willing to gamble Jaylen Brown and a #1 pick for that?

After what we've all seen this season, how much value would you even place in a Kawhi promise to sign?  I mean, it's not legally binding....and let's be honest, it doesn't really seem like Kawhi cares what the general NBA community thinks about him, so I don't think a promise to Danny Ainge is going to really stop him from doing what he ultimately wants to do.
"AAAAAHAHAAAAHHAAA....take that with your beard....AAAAHHHHAAHHHAAHHAAH..YAAAHHHAHAHAH!!!"
- Cedric Maxwell, Esq

« Reply #819 on: June 28, 2018, 04:56:27 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
It's been reported everywhere that Kawhi isn't giving any assurance to anyone other than LAL.

Either this is just SAS posturing for Laker concessions, or Danny Ainge is insane.

until now?

New Post:  Report: Kawhi Leonard open to playing in other markets (i.e. Boston): Via Sports

If this is true, then it may force Danny to increase his offer.

« Reply #820 on: June 28, 2018, 05:04:19 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

until now?

Will Kawhi sign a 4 or 5 yr extension with Boston? If so, I'm listening. But I still want to keep Tatum.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #821 on: June 28, 2018, 05:11:42 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Via Sports Illustrated’s Jake Fischer:

While Leonard’s camp has made it clear the former Defensive Player of the Year prefers Los Angeles and the Lakers, a source close to the situation says the Southern California native is open to playing in other major markets. Leonard’s suboptimal contract extension discussions with Jordan Brand in March signaled the importance of playing in a larger market, and the Spurs star would be open to playing in Boston and New York, the source said.

« Reply #822 on: June 28, 2018, 05:17:52 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

until now?

Will Kawhi sign a 4 or 5 yr extension with Boston? If so, I'm listening. But I still want to keep Tatum.
Current thinking is that Tatum is safe but Brown is not.

« Reply #823 on: June 28, 2018, 05:20:14 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Problem is how do you get him to commit if he opts out next yr... Which he will and he will not negotiate any extensions so he does not lose out money wise... Verbal commitments are meh in this day and age.. For all we know he could pull a Boozer.. Commit but not really on the eleventh hour.

« Reply #824 on: June 28, 2018, 05:22:12 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
If Kawhi is really going to stay, I'd bump it up to Brown + Smart and dare them to do better. Maybe hold a draft pick in reserve.

If we're *not* paying Brown or Smart, there's a future state where we basically have our Big 4 deals (Irving, Hayward, Kawhi, Horford) plus the entire roster on rookie or smaller deals (Tatum, Yabusele option, Ojeyele option, Rozier RFA, Williams, '19 picks).

Baynes, Morris, Theis and Wanamaker all 1-year bridges before the new deals.

Especially if Horford works out a new extension, it's doable $$-wise compared to what CLE and GS have been up to lately.