Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 121581 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)
« Reply #735 on: June 28, 2018, 02:08:22 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Per Gary Washburn

Hearing Jaylen Brown has NOT been discussed in any potential deal for Kawhi Leonard. #Celtics⁠ ⁠ are taking conservative approach in talks with #Spurs.

I don’t buy this, either. Washburn is probably carrying water for the Celtics, trying to spare Jaylen’s psyche.
I believe it. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the Spurs have been leaking Boston rumors to the media to drive up the price for the Lakers.

it also wouldn't surprise me if Ainge is offering the Spurs nothing but low balls.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #736 on: June 28, 2018, 02:08:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Let's just take the whole Lakers core for Brown to really make things weird.

Brown, Smart, Hart to SA
Ingram, Kuzma, Ball to BOS (and we flip Ball for a late lottery pick?)
Leonard to LAL

Yikes I don't want to be in any situation where Lonzo Ball (and Lavar Ball) might end up in Boston. Better to not risk that :).

Creative idea, but ugh.

« Reply #737 on: June 28, 2018, 02:09:06 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Thing is, even if we received assurances that Kawhi would re-sign. His words are simply meaningless and unbelievably inconsistent, and I would take it with a grain of salt. Can't trust him, nor his camp to make under the table handshake agreements.

Unless Ainge is 100% sure he'll re-sign, then again Kawhi seems like he really does want to go to LA.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #738 on: June 28, 2018, 02:11:10 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Per Gary Washburn

Hearing Jaylen Brown has NOT been discussed in any potential deal for Kawhi Leonard. #Celtics⁠ ⁠ are taking conservative approach in talks with #Spurs.

I don’t buy this, either. Washburn is probably carrying water for the Celtics, trying to spare Jaylen’s psyche.

Probably not ultimately the case. But could be the Spurs value picks over players so they can get "their type" of guy. Notorious for having a type.

« Reply #739 on: June 28, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Per Gary Washburn

Maybe, but one thing for sure, Kyrie can't be offered by Danny unless he has a done deal; otherwise the chances of him bolting increase dramatically, no?

It is impossible, capwise, for the Spurs and Celtics to agree to a trade that does not involve one of Horford, Hayward, Irving, Brown, Or Tatum.  So if the Celtics have made an actual offer the Spurs could accept, even if they wouldn’t want to, one has to be included.

« Reply #740 on: June 28, 2018, 02:11:15 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Per Gary Washburn

Without an assurance from Leonard about staying past next year, I just can't bring myself to agree on trading Brown's productivity/ contract for 1 year of Leonard.

Personally, I think this is all Ainge trying to make Magic sweat and do a Nets heist type deal for the Spurs.

« Reply #741 on: June 28, 2018, 02:16:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Per Gary Washburn

I believe it. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the Spurs have been leaking Boston rumors to the media to drive up the price for the Lakers.

it also wouldn't surprise me if Ainge is offering the Spurs nothing but low balls.

The Spurs would simply hang up, though. There wouldn’t be any dialogue or “talks”.

One of Tatum / Brown / Kyrie is necessary.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #742 on: June 28, 2018, 02:18:04 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If no Brown, no Tatum.... then what?

The only way this is possible is with a Smart S&T or using Kyrie (or Hayward or Horford).

If Ainge can pull off Leonard without losing a starter....wow.

Smart S&T, Morris, Williams, MEM19, LAC19 + salary fillers if needed (Nader or Yabu)? Might need more still, but Williams may be very enticing to them...

I wouldn’t be opposed to swapping the MEM19 with the SAC19 if it’ll get it done. If we can keep Brown/Tatum/Rozier, they can have whatever they want.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #743 on: June 28, 2018, 02:22:15 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
IMO at this point my best offer would be Rozier/Morris/Yabuesle and Memphis pick

« Reply #744 on: June 28, 2018, 02:23:06 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
My girlfriend doesn't really like basketball. Has probably watched about 40 minutes of Celtics games with me this year, and heard me talk about the team.

I told her about the Kawhi Leonard rumor and informed her about how good of a player he is. She concluded that Jaylen Brown would be the one that needed to be traded (certainly "not Kyrie or that 19 year old").

« Reply #745 on: June 28, 2018, 02:23:56 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
Per Gary Washburn

Maybe, but one thing for sure, Kyrie can't be offered by Danny unless he has a done deal; otherwise the chances of him bolting increase dramatically, no?

It is impossible, capwise, for the Spurs and Celtics to agree to a trade that does not involve one of Horford, Hayward, Irving, Brown, Or Tatum.  So if the Celtics have made an actual offer the Spurs could accept, even if they wouldn’t want to, one has to be included.

I thought it was discussed here (or elsewhere, I forget) that if Smart did a S&T that it could potentially be done? Unlikely but still possible?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #746 on: June 28, 2018, 02:27:48 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
There's ZERO CHANCE Kawhi is coming here, period.

R-E-L-A-X folks. Ainge and Buford are just chilling via Skype leaking out rumors to milk the Lakers out of all their assets in a trade. I'm all for it  8)

While it would suck to see Kawhi (and George + Lebron) go to LAL, if it came at the expense of Ingram, Kuzma, Randle (via S&T) and Hart, it would sting less IMHO (that's a lot of depth/youth being traded away). Also, LAL would still have to clear Deng's contract to even fit George + Lebron, and that will be difficult.

Meanwhile, SAS has NO interest in Lonzo or Deng's contract either according to Woj (he said it on ESPN last night. Don't have link unfortunately)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #747 on: June 28, 2018, 02:32:08 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Per Gary Washburn

The Spurs would simply hang up, though. There wouldn’t be any dialogue or “talks”.

One of Tatum / Brown / Kyrie is necessary.

Yeah... no. That's like saying that for PHI to make a trade, one of Fultz/Simmons/Embiid is necessary. Absurd considering he's a rental who has made zero assurances to either team he'd stay long term.

Let the Spurs hang up and simply leak rumors out there to drive up the price. Ainge isn't a fool to trade Brown/Irving/Tatum for a rental. Even Kyrie for Kawhi makes zero sense unless you have the utmost belief Rozier is a legit starting PG for a full season. (Also we'd have a legit logjam at the wings positions)

« Reply #748 on: June 28, 2018, 02:34:56 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
Can Isaiah be included in a Sign & Trade?

Would be interesting if Spurs can get something like IT, Ingram, Kuzma, and picks and have them take back additional salary like Mills or Gasol.

Spurs could buy low on an All-NBA player on a shorter deal and see if he can return to glory. Also blocks the Lakers from getting two max free agents.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #749 on: June 28, 2018, 02:35:45 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Can Isaiah be included in a Sign & Trade?

Would be interesting if Spurs can get something like IT, Ingram, Kuzma, and picks and have them take back additional salary like Mills or Gasol.

Spurs could buy low on an All-NBA player on a shorter deal and see if he can return to glory. Also blocks the Lakers from getting two max free agents.

Don't think so, because IT is a UFA. Randle is RFA, like Smart. S&T can be done for the latter two, not IT. Lakers would have to sign him outright which would eat up cap space and I think there's a rule where you can't sign a UFA and trade him immediately. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Update: Never mind, I'm wrong.