Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 121550 times)

Re: Here we go..Leonard wants out of SA...
« Reply #195 on: June 15, 2018, 05:59:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lakers should offer up both Lonzo Ball and Kyle Kuzma for Kawhi contingent on the Spurs also taking Deng's contract.

Then Lakers should sign LeBron, Paul George and Chris Paul on slight discounts.

Chris Paul, Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, Brandon Ingram, LeBron James. 

Freaky

Why would the Spurs ever do that?

Spurs wouldn't blink unless Lakers offer Ingram and Kuzma as a starting point.
On why the Spurs would do it...

If they decide they need to trade Kawhi, you can do a lot worse than adding Lonzo Ball (an elite prospect) and Kyle Kuzma.  You might be right that adding the Deng contract would be too much to swallow.

What if the Lakers were willing to give up both Ball, Ingram and Kuzma in addition to the Deng contract.  Just clear the whole deck, add Kawhi, and then use the cap space to sign everyone on massive paycuts (Chris Paul, LeBron, Paul George, Boogie Cousins).  Lol

You are clueless. Ball and Kuzma? No Ingram no talk.
Yeah obviously Ingram is the most desirable.  He's likely a better prospect than all the guys we're talking about (Fultz, Ball, Brown). 

I do think people are giving up on Fultz and Ball too early, though.   Fultz is still a big unknown, obviously.   In Ball's case, he shot like crap but he actually put up really solid numbers for a rookie point guard.  Whether that means he's the next Michael Carter Williams or a legit future star remains to be seen.  Even with the drama, I see Ball as a valuable trade piece.

« Reply #196 on: June 15, 2018, 05:59:26 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
And "unretirement" contract... who offered it to you  :P
Multiple posters here reached out to me imploring me to return so I could be the forum foil during the Celtic/76ers playoff series.  I felt obligated given it was a series against the Sixers.  I think it worked out.  Good old classic reverse jinxing - I was happy to be on the "losing end" if it meant Boston improbably getting by the heavily favorited Sixers.  I have no intention of staying long-term.  The culture here is more broken than Markelle Fultz' jump shot.  I figured if I was going to temporarily come back, I might as well hang out through the playoffs, draft and free agency - hence 60 days ;)

On the topic of Kawhi...  I think a Lakers trio of Paul George, LeBron and Kawhi is totally in play.  What's a realistic offer the Lakers can make to outbid Fultz + #10 + Covington?  Those seem like the two most likely destinations.

Nah trust me I think it's the other way around  :laugh:

The trio is well in play but the offer HAS to be Ingram + Kuzma + Another asset NOT named Ball. I don't think Pop wants to deal with Ball and his family to be honest. But even if Pop is fine taking back Lonzo, it still HAS to include Kuzma and Ingram, but that beats PHI's offer.

A bag of balls and cash beats that Philadelphia offer. Leonard isn’t going to Philadelphia.

Putting the entire Ball family in a bag and shipping them to SAS? Rude...  :P

That would be rude to Pop. He doesn’t deserve that

« Reply #197 on: June 15, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Multiple posters here reached out to me imploring me to return so I could be the forum foil during the Celtic/76ers playoff series.  I felt obligated given it was a series against the Sixers.  I think it worked out.  Good old classic reverse jinxing - I was happy to be on the "losing end" if it meant Boston improbably getting by the heavily favorited Sixers.  I have no intention of staying long-term.  The culture here is more broken than Markelle Fultz' jump shot.  I figured if I was going to temporarily come back, I might as well hang out through the playoffs, draft and free agency - hence 60 days ;)

On the topic of Kawhi...  I think a Lakers trio of Paul George, LeBron and Kawhi is totally in play.  What's a realistic offer the Lakers can make to outbid Fultz + #10 + Covington?  Those seem like the two most likely destinations.

Nah trust me I think it's the other way around  :laugh:

The trio is well in play but the offer HAS to be Ingram + Kuzma + Another asset NOT named Ball. I don't think Pop wants to deal with Ball and his family to be honest. But even if Pop is fine taking back Lonzo, it still HAS to include Kuzma and Ingram, but that beats PHI's offer.

A bag of balls and cash beats that Philadelphia offer. Leonard isn’t going to Philadelphia.

Putting the entire Ball family in a bag and shipping them to SAS? Rude...  :P

That would be rude to Pop. He doesn’t deserve that

But seriously, could you imagine Pop vs. LaVar  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2018, 06:00:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Monkhouse,

I have spent the past year praising Tatum.  He's a legit superstar prospect.  Best rookie we've had since Bird.  I give our guys props when they deserve him.  Tatum's in a class alone right now, though.  Probably the only real untouchable we have.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:06:03 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2018, 06:02:52 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

60 days ends June 28th according to your link that shows it started April 29th.  Looks like you’ll have to miss out on free agency.  (Don’t worry, the servers won’t work from June 30th to LeDecision III, so you won’t miss much).

« Reply #200 on: June 15, 2018, 06:04:10 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I just realized... trade for Kawhi... lose him in a year to Lakers.... YUCK

How is this different from the George saga last year??

:(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #201 on: June 15, 2018, 06:05:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

60 days ends June 28th according to your link that shows it started April 29th.  Looks like you’ll have to miss out on free agency.  (Don’t worry, the servers won’t work from June 30th to LeDecision III, so you won’t miss much).
I'm at peace with that.

It'll be fun to hang around during the draft, though.  Should be interesting to see if boston trades into a higher pick.

« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2018, 06:06:51 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Monkhouse,

I have spent the past year praising Tatum.  He's a legit superstar prospect.  Best rookie we've had since Bird.  I give our guys props when they deserve him.  Tatum's in a class alone right now, though.

I know, I've been following you on reddit, when you made that Kevin Durant comparison.

Tatum is definitely in a class alone, but I don't know why you cannot believe Brown isn't somewhere anywhere near his stratosphere. The Green comparison you make really confuses me at times.

I just realized... trade for Kawhi... lose him in a year to Lakers.... YUCK

How is this different from the George saga last year??

:(

That is true, that is the fear I posted in a few pages back.

But if Kawhi leaves a golden opportunity to win, be either the 1A/1B option, along with sports dynasty, then well, good bye then! Don't let the door see you on the way out...

T.T
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2018, 06:07:51 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

I think the culture is pretty good and you're entitled to your opinion too. But why is it necessary to write down: ''I was happy to be on the "losing end" if it meant Boston improbably getting by the heavily favorited Sixers'', seems like a way to trigger a reaction, since you know (you obviously have been reading the forums) a group of posters was annoyed that the media saw the Sixers as favourites.

Couldn't you just have written: ''I was happy to be on the "losing end" if it meant Boston improbablygetting by the heavily favorited Sixers''? You'd still express the same opinion, but in a less provoking way.

« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2018, 06:10:53 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I still think George will end up in Philly.

Lakers will need to trade Lonzo because that's a circus you don't need when you're contending.

I'd be interested to see if they can get Portland to consider trading Dame for Lonzo+Kuzma.

I am pretty surprised by this take. George says he wants to go to LA years ago, they actually get good and will have a max slot and he moves the furthest possible spot from his hometown?

That would be a head scratcher.

If he really doesn't care about basketball and just wants to be in LA then cool.  If the Lakers already have Kawhi and LeBron, what role is there for George?  He'd be the 3rd option.

He could go to Philly and make a huge difference for them.  Also, with LeBron out of the conference he would have a great shot at making the Finals.

In the West, even if the Lakers have Kawhi, Bron, and PG, they'd be one of three superteams out there. 

Philly makes a lot more sense for PG from a basketball standpoint.  I guess it depends how much he just wants a fun LA lifestyle and doesn't care if he's the 3rd option with a lower chance of actually making the Finals.

Why would George be the third option? I think he would be the second option and Leonard would be the third. Also why would George be a better option in Philly? Embiid took 17 shots per 30 minutes last year and Simmons obviously has the ball a ton.

Considering he said he wanted to go LA when they were horrible and didn't have any contract space, it obviously is pretty important to him.

You may be right about his priorities.

As for the third option thing, to me he's less talented offensively than LeBron (obviously) or Kawhi.  Both of those guys have shown an ability to carry a team offensively individually.  George has not.

In Philly, I think George would be ahead of Ben Simmons in the offensive hierarchy, and it would depend on the matchup as to whether he or Embiid got more shots.  Simmons would be a facilitator, especially in the halfcourt.

Disagree.

It was reported months ago that Kawhi was upset that lesser players get bigger shoe deals than he does.  So, he wants exposure.

Under those circumstances, LA and NYK make sense, even if I'd argue that winning is the best exposure.
It has nothing to do with city with Leonard, it is him.  He is just a boring quiet player.  Sure, he probably gets a bigger deal in NY or LA, but he still won't get as big as he could because of his personality.  Westbrook has done just fine in Oklahoma City.  James did just fine in Cleveland.  etc.

LOL ;D.

Unbelievable, and yet Leonard hasn't talked to Pops yet.

Ugh.

I hate how the Lakers can just get anyone they want..

We'll see, but if they end up with LeBron, George, and Leonard... That's a very scary team that can definitely give GSW up to 7 games. Real question is how will their team look like?

Same - TP.

I think many people have independently looked at the Sixers roster and came up with the same no-brainer trade:   Covington + Fultz + #10 for Kawhi.   Gonna be tough to beat that.

Naturally, this depends on as to how the Spurs feel about Doncic, but if he really is available when it comes time to make the 4th overall selection, Memphis has stated that they want to at least try to remain competitive and in the playoff picture, so why not trade Parsons and #4, well, for Leonard and Rudy Gay?

I know that the latter would have to agree to opt into the final year of his deal, but think about this possible starting lineup -

C - Marc Gasol

PF - JaMychal Green

SF - Kawhi Leonard

SG - Honestly not sure on this one. Perhaps they could go after Danny Green if they're unsure about Wayne Selden's knee, for example.

PG - Mike Conley

Add to that a bench consisting of Tyreke Evans (re-signed), Selden, Dillon Brooks, and Gay (whose career would essentially come full circle and give the Grizzlies another great reserve offensive spark plug), and all that they'd be missing would be a backup big guy, but still, that team could very well win it all, imo.

« Reply #205 on: June 15, 2018, 06:13:18 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
And he reportedly wants to go to LA??

YES!!!!

Let the rivalry renew once again!!

Let Lebron James (and PG13) go there, too!

I "LOVE" this.

LeBron will set the travel arrangements for this coming together.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:20:14 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #206 on: June 15, 2018, 06:20:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I think the culture is pretty good and you're entitled to your opinion too. But why is it necessary to write down: ''I was happy to be on the "losing end" if it meant Boston improbably getting by the heavily favorited Sixers'', seems like a way to trigger a reaction, since you know (you obviously have been reading the forums) a group of posters was annoyed that the media saw the Sixers as favourites.

Couldn't you just have written: ''I was happy to be on the "losing end" if it meant Boston improbablygetting by the heavily favorited Sixers''? You'd still express the same opinion, but in a less provoking way.
Rody, to clarify, I quit posting on Celticsblog a while ago.  Back in the day I had been the lone Celtic fan who thought Philly had a bright future and that Embiid would eventually get healthy.  People here were convinced he was the next Greg Oden.  I took a ton of heat for playing devil's advocate and believing in Philly.  Got labelled a Celtic hater, a Sixer fan, etc.  The consensus from the fans here was that they wouldn't give up a 2nd round pick for Embiid.  I decided to hold my ground on Sixer island and it finally paid off this year when they had only their second 50+ win season in the past 30+ years.  Given that I had been CelticsBlog's Sixer foil for a couple years, it was only fitting that I be a part of the first (of probably many) Celtic vs Sixer playoff series.  Boston pulled it off.  People had a laugh at my expense.  I plan to crawl back in my hole in a couple weeks. 

« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2018, 06:21:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
The NBA "coincidences" are quite funny. This is the first domino to fall this summer. All these guys talk to each other. The back channels have been working long before today.

https://twitter.com/andrewbogut/status/1006433196475469825

Have the popcorn ready for this offseasons @NBA FA dramas! Don’t be fooled, most big deals are already done “verbally”. More superteams are cometh...

12:09 AM - 12 Jun 2018
"Are cometh", really? :D

is cometh .....LOL

« Reply #208 on: June 15, 2018, 06:23:01 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I know that the latter would have to agree to opt into the final year of his deal, but think about this possible starting lineup -

C - Marc Gasol

PF - JaMychal Green

SF - Kawhi Leonard

SG - Honestly not sure on this one. Perhaps they could go after Danny Green if they're unsure about Wayne Selden's knee, for example.

PG - Mike Conley

I'm just going to assert that no team factoring "Wayne Selden's knee" into its plans is an actual contender.

« Reply #209 on: June 15, 2018, 06:23:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
And he reportedly wants to go to LA??

YES!!!!

Let the rivalry renew once again!!

Let Lebron James (and PG13) go there, too!

I "LOVE" this.

LeBron will set the travel arrangements for this coming together.

From Boston's standpoint, it wouldn't be too terrible for a superteam to form in Los Angeles.

That clears a path for Boston to get to the ECF... or at least clears the Bron roadblock.  Sixers and Raptors are still threats.

And whether it's the stacked Laker superteam with Bron, Kawhi and George - or the stacked Warriors superteam - either way we'd probably be the underdogs if we made it to the Finals so any potential victory would be extra sweet.