Author Topic: Trade up for Drummond  (Read 7647 times)

Trade up for Drummond
« on: April 03, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
I know its really tough, but does anyone think that due to his inconsistent play that we could still find a way to trade up for Drummond? Is he worth the two picks and maybe a young prospect? Aaaaand discuss!

Re: Trade up for Drummond
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He is too much of a risk to trade up for IMO.  He has bust written all over him.  If he is on the board in the middle of the first round, at that point, the possible rewards are greater than the risk, but not if you are giving up extra assets to get him. 

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 03:13:15 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424
Andre Drummond = Kwame Brown ??

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 03:22:45 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Could be, though Kwame Brown wouldn't be so awful as a mid-round pick.

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
If all we're giving up is our two firsts, I think it's worth it.  Nothing additional, though.  Even if he does end up as Kwame Brown (which I don't think he will), he's still have a good shot at being the best big on the team

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Interesting.  Although Drummond has the potential to be even worse, since Kwame came into the league with a much more developed offensive game.

I just get the feeling he doesn't love the game.  And for a guy with as raw a game as he has right now, that is a huge red flag, because he needs to get a lot better to even be passable.  

I would say he is closer to Thabeet, Patty O'Bryant, or Saer Sene, or Diop.

Now, he also has a chance to be DeAndre Jordan, which is why someone will take a flyer on him.  But IMO, there is a lot greater chance that he is a bust than a hit.

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 03:29:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
If all we're giving up is our two firsts, I think it's worth it.  Nothing additional, though.  Even if he does end up as Kwame Brown (which I don't think he will), he's still have a good shot at being the best big on the team

In this draft, you could be looking at two top 7 players with the potential to be better with those picks.  I think that is too much to give up for a guy with maybe a 40% chance of still being in the league in 5 years.

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 04:24:07 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
It's rare you see a guy with the level of bust potential as this Drummond kid. Most people with his level of "skill" and dissappointment as a Fr generally go much lower. I still think this guy will be No 2 after workouts with his amazing physical tools. He could be worse than Darko if he's taken ahead of MKG, Sullinger, or a host of other players.

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 04:26:24 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Drummond is too risky to trade up for.  He's too much of a project as it stands right now.  He could be a very good project because of his size/athleticism, but there's more sure fire picks if we are going to trade up.  I would rather just keep our picks though, guys like Terrence Ross could end up being just as good as a guy like Jeremy Lamb.
do it

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, he hasn't shone the skill or the fire needed to be a great player. And I also think that people overrate his athleticism.

But if we can bring back KG, I really like having him mentor Drummond and teaching him how to be the dominant defensive player he projects to be.

I'm actually not too worried about him offensively. I don't really care that he can't create for himself that well because he possesses skills which Rondo can take advantage of: good hands and athleticism, good scorer off the pick and roll and very fast in the open court.

All this said someone in the top 8 is going to like him in their private workouts and our 2 1sts are not going to be enough to get him.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 04:31:52 PM »

Offline clawlin

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Drummond has all the physical tools to be a great player, Kwame did not, with those tiny hands that can't properly hold onto the ball.  I think Drummond can be good, but whether he can be good is his decision.  I think KG make that decision for him.

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 06:57:41 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I wouldnt trade our 2 first rounders for him. I would rather that a chance and get someone like Meyers Leonard or Tyler/Cody Zeller (is Cody Available???)

Tyler has had 4 years to develop in college which i think is important for a Centre and I believe with Docs Coaching could be a decent centre in the league.

Cody is a better scorer than his brother and an overall better prospect but i think i read somewhere he is staying and may declare next year.

Meyers Leonard just seems like a big unit to me. true 7'0 Get him to learn so danger post moves and run on the break with rondo and it could be scary.

That being said though. This draft isnt exactly lacking in the Bigs department. Decent bigs perhaps, but there are plenty of bigs non the less.

And hey, if Festus is there round 2?.......

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25611
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Right now, DraftExpress has Drummond ranked #2, and nbadraft.net has him at #4.  I don't think we have the pieces to move up for him.

Also, I agree with others that he has high bust potential.  Thabeet is the obvious comparison, and that's not a good sign.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 01:21:07 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I just get the feeling he doesn't love the game.  And for a guy with as raw a game as he has right now, that is a huge red flag, because he needs to get a lot better to even be passable. 

That's my feeling as well.  The first time I saw him on TV in a high school game, I was instantly disappointed by how flat-footed he played on defense.  He just wasn't active at all.  It was the same thing at Uconn.  He's talented enough that he put up good numbers in some games but overall, I was underwhelmed by his motor.  The NBA is too talented and tough to succeed if you don't give enough effort.

He's a really odd player.  Outstanding leaper and fast but a very weird runner.  The weirdness permeates his whole game, from his odd and unsuccessful free throw stroke to his push shots.  As raw as he is skills-wise, he's a very good passer.  I think that's the best part of his game.

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 02:36:50 AM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49
Is Drummond even going to be allowed to enter this draft since he will still be 18 in June?