Author Topic: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread  (Read 166314 times)

Re: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread
« Reply #315 on: March 22, 2016, 08:22:54 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Thanks for the insight.

I wonder if there will be a Clark Kent vs Bruce Wayne encounter.
one of the previews showed Supes removing the Batman mask, does that count?

I think I saw them in normal clothes in a preveiew scene as well, though I could be mixing up individual scenes of them by putting them together in my mind because I want that to happen.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #316 on: March 22, 2016, 01:37:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Thanks for the insight.

one of the previews showed Supes removing the Batman mask, does that count?

I think I saw them in normal clothes in a preveiew scene as well, though I could be mixing up individual scenes of them by putting them together in my mind because I want that to happen.

There was a scene like that in the first trailer - Lex Luthor even says it out loud.

« Reply #317 on: March 22, 2016, 01:43:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Thanks for the insight.

The standard Batman/Supes meet and greet involves Supes being snide about seeing through the mask with his vision and then Batman retaliates by investigating Supes for approximately 1 hour and by the end has a detailed list of his identity, suit size, and favorite breakfast foods.

IIRC its been done multiple times in various media.

« Reply #318 on: March 22, 2016, 06:22:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm going to go out on the limb and predict that "Batman V Superman" strongly disappoints while "Ghostbusters" is surprisingly decent. 

Gonna pull these numbers out of my butt.  These are my metacritic predictions.

Batman V Superman = 58
Suicide Squad = 46
Ghostbusters = 72

So far "Batman V Superman" is getting HAMMERED by critics.  I might have over-shot it with the prediction of 58/100.

« Reply #319 on: March 23, 2016, 09:03:23 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm going to go out on the limb and predict that "Batman V Superman" strongly disappoints while "Ghostbusters" is surprisingly decent. 

Batman V Superman = 58
Suicide Squad = 46
Ghostbusters = 72

So far "Batman V Superman" is getting HAMMERED by critics.  I might have over-shot it with the prediction of 58/100.
I've seen some fairly positive reviews, though it seems by and large they tried to cram too much into the movie and it loses focus because of it.  I don't think anyone is really surprised by that assessment.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #320 on: March 23, 2016, 09:12:37 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Serious question from a casual super hero fan. Without a boatload of Kryptonite how does Batman even stand a chance against Superman? Batman's just a guy in a suit with some fancy toys, Superman is the real deal.
its based on the comic "Dark Knight Returns" from the mid 80s.  An aging batman fights superman using a metal suit basically identical to the one being used in this movie.  I think it was laced with kryptonite.  There's actually a animated version of "the dark knight returns" that was pretty good.  It might be streaming on Netflix.  Will be interesting to see how much they borrowed from it.

At the beginning of that fight, Green Arrow shoots Superman with a kryptonite arrow.

« Reply #321 on: March 23, 2016, 08:06:29 PM »

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 46

Batman V Superman = 58
Suicide Squad = 46
Ghostbusters = 72

I've seen some fairly positive reviews, though it seems by and large they tried to cram too much into the movie and it loses focus because of it.  I don't think anyone is really surprised by that assessment.

Just got back from the movies, it was an excellent movie, they tried to cram a bit too much into it, but it had a very good plot, a good villain with a good plan, and some REALLY unexpected moments. Really one of my favorite superhero movies ever.

On a side note, before the movie even started, a guy appeared on the screen to tell us not to spoil anything we see in the movie for the fans who didn't watch it yet.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:26:59 PM by MasterEmile »

« Reply #322 on: March 23, 2016, 09:19:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
46/100 on metacritic.  Even worse than I expected.  Classic Zach Snyder.  Sounds like it's on a par with "watchmen" and "man of steel" so if you hated those you might as well skip this one.

« Reply #323 on: March 23, 2016, 09:43:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
46/100 on metacritic.  Even worse than I expected.  Classic Zach Snyder.  Sounds like it's on a par with "watchmen" and "man of steel" so if you hated those you might as well skip this one.
are you saying it's worse because you saw it and didn't like it or just based on some rating system?

« Reply #324 on: March 24, 2016, 12:58:14 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
are you saying it's worse because you saw it and didn't like it or just based on some rating system?
I'm saying that I expected it to be critically panned based on the reception of "Watchmen" and "Man of Steel".  Zack Snyder is a hack.   Based on the reviews, this one is even worse.   44 out of 100 on metacritic.  34% rotten on Rottentomatoes.   That's pretty rough.  So according to critical consensus, this movie has even more problems than Snyders other comicbook movies.

Personally, I totally agreed with the scores for Watchmen (58 on Metacritic) and Man of Steel (56 on Metacritic).  Neither were great movies.  I was entertained by them in other ways.   But whether or not I think a movie is "good" and whether or not I am entertained by them are two separate things.  There are plenty of "bad" movies I've enjoyed over the years.  "Waterworld" and "Hook" are two of my favorite "bad" movies.  I'd never disagree with criticism of them... but I still like them for what they were.   More recently, I went into seeing "Dumb and DumberER" fully expecting it to be a giant turd.  It was.  Still, I had a couple laughs.  Whatev.  I don't think the TV show "The Flash" is particularly good, but I watch it weekly, because it's a genre I love.   Same with the show "Shameless" - pretty stupid show, but I find aspects of it entertaining.   

I have tickets to see "Batman V Superman" tomorrow.  I'm sure it will be cool to see live action Batman face off against live action Superman.  I've loved those characters for a long time.  Similar to how someone who loves Alien and Predator would enjoy the spectacle of "Alien V Predator".  Or "Freddie V Jason".  But again, you can decide a movie is bad and still like it, because it's a genre you love.

« Reply #325 on: March 24, 2016, 10:29:01 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm saying that I expected it to be critically panned based on the reception of "Watchmen" and "Man of Steel".  Zack Snyder is a hack.   Based on the reviews, this one is even worse.   44 out of 100 on metacritic.  34% rotten on Rottentomatoes.   That's pretty rough.  So according to critical consensus, this movie has even more problems than Snyders other comicbook movies.

Personally, I totally agreed with the scores for Watchmen (58 on Metacritic) and Man of Steel (56 on Metacritic).  Neither were great movies.  I was entertained by them in other ways.   But whether or not I think a movie is "good" and whether or not I am entertained by them are two separate things.  There are plenty of "bad" movies I've enjoyed over the years.  "Waterworld" and "Hook" are two of my favorite "bad" movies.  I'd never disagree with criticism of them... but I still like them for what they were.   More recently, I went into seeing "Dumb and DumberER" fully expecting it to be a giant turd.  It was.  Still, I had a couple laughs.  Whatev.  I don't think the TV show "The Flash" is particularly good, but I watch it weekly, because it's a genre I love.   Same with the show "Shameless" - pretty stupid show, but I find aspects of it entertaining.   

I have tickets to see "Batman V Superman" tomorrow.  I'm sure it will be cool to see live action Batman face off against live action Superman.  I've loved those characters for a long time.  Similar to how someone who loves Alien and Predator would enjoy the spectacle of "Alien V Predator".  Or "Freddie V Jason".  But again, you can decide a movie is bad and still like it, because it's a genre you love.
thanks for the clarification.

Personally, the only rating systems I care about are
1. whether I liked it or not
2. whether people who have similar tastes as mine liked it or not  (which is typically what I find out before I see a movie)

« Reply #326 on: March 24, 2016, 03:47:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Personally, I totally agreed with the scores for Watchmen (58 on Metacritic) and Man of Steel (56 on Metacritic).  Neither were great movies.  I was entertained by them in other ways.   But whether or not I think a movie is "good" and whether or not I am entertained by them are two separate things.  There are plenty of "bad" movies I've enjoyed over the years.  "Waterworld" and "Hook" are two of my favorite "bad" movies.  I'd never disagree with criticism of them... but I still like them for what they were.   More recently, I went into seeing "Dumb and Dumber To" fully expecting it to be a giant turd.  It was.  Still, I had a couple laughs.  Whatev.  I don't think the TV show "The Flash" is particularly good, but I watch it weekly, because it's a genre I love.   Same with the show "Shameless" - pretty stupid show, but I find aspects of it entertaining.   

thanks for the clarification.

Personally, the only rating systems I care about are
1. whether I liked it or not
2. whether people who have similar tastes as mine liked it or not  (which is typically what I find out before I see a movie)
I find the review aggregator sites incredibly helpful in determining what films are worth my time.  I typically agree with the consensus.  They attempt to measure the quality of the film.  44 out of 100 on metacritic is not a good film.  THat's pretty mediocre-to-bad.  But if you LOOOVE a genre, you should be able to watch a film in the 40s and still enjoy it.  I hate horror films... there's no way I'd waste my time with a horror film that scored in the 40s.  If a horror film scores in the 70s/80s, maybe it's worth my time.   "Cabin the Woods" (72 on metacritic) is a good example of a horror film I watched and enjoyed, because it was getting positive consensus from a wide audience.    On the flip side, I love Comedy and I'll occasionally see a mediocre comedy (something that scored in the 40s) and be fine with it. 

The superhero genre is my thing... so I'm sure I'll be ok with aspects of Batman V Superman.  But by all accounts, it's a pretty mediocre movie with massive problems.   That means it will not appeal to a wide audience.   Sounds like it's a little worse than "The Watchmen".  Some people (mostly comic nerds) loved the Watchmen.  Others thought "Watchmen" was a giant turd. 

« Reply #327 on: March 24, 2016, 03:49:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Zach Snyder has a way of squeezing any joy or life out of his material.

I liked Watchmen though.  But the source material there was absolutely superb.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #328 on: March 24, 2016, 03:57:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Really hope they get rid of him.  That's a common complaint of the movie... there's nothing "fun" about it.  Of course fanboys will argue that not everything has to be Marvel bright and cheerful, but that's missing the point. "The Dark Knight" was a relatively dark movie and there were still plenty of "Fun" moments... especially Ledger's performance. 

JJ Abrams explained that with "Star Wars Episode 7" they tried to focus on moments that would "delight" the audience and fit as many in there as possible.  It didn't even need to be funny or cute things... just things that caused emotional reactions.  Vader telling Luke he's his father is a "moment of delight". 

That's one thing that Marvel focuses on as well.  It's why a relatively clunker dump of a movie (Age of Ultron) can get somewhat positive reviews (66 out of 100 on metacritic)... little moments that stand out whether it's the team trying to lift THors hammer or Hawkeye cracking a joke... they delight the audience. 

Snyder is far too interested in making dark and drab overly serious bummers.   Yeah, it was cool to see Superman lifted off the pages in "man of steel", but when you don't care about the characters or the story it kind of makes those action scenes feel empty.   A lot of hardcore superman fans enjoyed it, but I went and saw that movie with my entire company for a company offsite and I think out of the 100+ people who attended, I might have been the only person who actually enjoyed it.  I'm seeing "Batman V Superman" tonight... will see if it is actually worse than Man of Steel.

« Reply #329 on: March 24, 2016, 04:05:07 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I liked Watchmen though.  But the source material there was absolutely superb.

Dawn of the Dead was also good, though no one's expecting much joy from that kind of premise.  And I liked 300 when it came out though it hasn't held up well after the style got mimicked to death.

But yeah, he's mainly a glorified visual effects guy who struggles at big picture stuff.  However I think a lot of the humorless nature of the DC films has come from over his head - Warner Bros is widely reported to have a "no jokes" policy since Green Lantern flopped.