Author Topic: 2018 Basketball Hall Of Fame (Congrats Dino Radja... and Ray)  (Read 8854 times)

Re: 2018 Basketball Hall Of Fame Finalists Named
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 04:23:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kidd, Nash, Mo Cheeks, Tina Thompson and Rudy T should be get in.

Ray Allen over Mo Cheeks easily.

Not for me.

Ray Allen spent too much of his career in the mediocre wilderness in Milwaukee and Seattle. Did not have enough impact in the playoffs during his best years. Only 1 playoff run with each of those teams. Then came to Boston where he begun to decline but shined in as the 3rd/4th best player on those teams and finished well as a bench player in Miami.

Mo Cheeks was an influential player on a Philly team that challenged for the title for 6-7 years (also as the 3rd/4th best player). He was a standout defensive player and intelligent floor general and highly skilled playmaker whose impact on the game went far beyond his stat-line.

Mo Cheeks was substance over flash. Ray Allen was the opposite. More flash over substance with his refusal to play defense for most of the first 10 years of his career. A superb offensive threat who lessened himself (and his teams) by not playing defense.

Ray Allen deserves to be in the HoF someday but no way am I picking him ahead of Mo Cheeks.

Still, Ray has 2 rings and 171 playoff games, compared to 1 title and 133 playoff games for Cheeks.

Then there are Ray’s counting stats: 10x All-Star, 19 ppg, all-time leader in 3PM, 6th all-time in FT%. Cheeks’ 11 points and 7 assists pale in comparison.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 07:31:29 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If Moe Cheeks played in San Antonio or Washington nobody would know who he is.  He was a good, solid player for a long time.  He had only one season with over 8 assists per game on a team that played super fast.  He never scored 16 points per game in his career.  He’s not really close to being a hall of famer in my opinion.  Ray Allen is a no brainer.

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 08:27:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
too easy to get in the NBA HOF. I do not think that players that did not set records or win  championships deserve to be in the HOF.

Using this standard, Webber does not get in, and Charles Barkley does not get it.

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 08:42:06 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Didn't know Ray been gone 5 years already?

They changed the rule to 3 years.

Did they?

That’s weird. Basketball the first sport to shorten it from 5?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 08:47:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
too easy to get in the NBA HOF. I do not think that players that did not set records or win  championships deserve to be in the HOF.

Using this standard, Webber does not get in, and Charles Barkley does not get it.

There’s nothing easy about winning MVP and making 11 straight All-NBA teams. Barkley was a heck of a player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 09:41:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Per ESPN

The 2018 Basketball Hall of Fame Finalists: shooting guard Ray Allen, point guard Maurice Cheeks, coach Charles "Lefty" Driesell, referee Hugh Evans, small forward Grant Hill, point guard Jason Kidd, coach Kim Mulkey, point guard Steve Nash, shooting guard Katie Smith, power forward Tina Thompson, coach Rudy Tomjanovich, Wayland Baptist University women's team of the 1950s, and power forward Chris Webber.

Chris Webber? Seriously?
I think Chris Webber is one of the most under rated big men ever. He could score, was a great rebounder and excellent passer. Always was active on defense with lots of deflections and steals. Very good defender.

I don't think he gets in this year, but he should eventually, IMO. Which probably means he won't.

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 05:11:27 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

There’s nothing easy about winning MVP and making 11 straight All-NBA teams. Barkley was a heck of a player.

Yeah, Barkley is definitely a HoFer, no doubt. Webber was a great player, but he never went above and beyond being talented. I personally wouldn’t vote for him simply because of that timeout.

Kids gets in, Ray gets in, Nash gets in. Cheeks eventually, just maybe not this year.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 08:47:22 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
What's the case for Kidd and Nash?  Being th only 2 allstar PGs in he league during the 00's?

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 09:03:33 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Kidd, Nash, Allen, Rudy T, and Thompson are my guesses for who will get in this year.

I don't think Mo Cheeks ever should and not feeling great about Webber. Grant Hill has a reputation for always being injured, but he sure seems to have the resume - maybe in the future. I don't know enough about the others to give an opinion.

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 12:34:42 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Imo Webber is just as deserving as players like Kidd or Nash-those 2 thrived in the league with little PG talent (not a lot of floor generals-a lot of chuckers/streetballers) while Webber was still great in an era where bigs were still dominant, paving the way for PFs like Garnett, Duncan and Dirk. People forget how good his stats were and how he would've gotten a ring if not for 8 on 5 basketball, while carrying every team he went to a winning team record wise even with less than ideal talent.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 01:37:03 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
What's the case for Kidd and Nash?  Being th only 2 allstar PGs in he league during the 00's?

Sheesh. Really?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 04:05:44 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

And Scalabrine does .....

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 06:18:38 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I don't believe Ray should have his Celtics jersey retired but there's no question he should be a first-ballot HOFer.

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 08:53:19 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Didn't know Ray been gone 5 years already?

They changed the rule to 3 years.

Did they?

That’s weird. Basketball the first sport to shorten it from 5?

That is weird. I feel like 3 years is too short. Probably more marketable for the HOF though having more recently retired superstars inducted.

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 09:25:44 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
When you compare Webber's resume to Reggie Miller's his is a little better. I only know that because last night the announcers mentioned they're both 5 time all stars.