Author Topic: Changes I'd like to see happen for MLB  (Read 4307 times)

Changes I'd like to see happen for MLB
« on: July 30, 2018, 10:39:33 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Just had some thoughts on changes to the game that I wanted to share. I been thinking about them a while so here goes.

1. Game goes Nine innings only if it's a tie after Nine it's a tie
2. Two fouls equal one strike.
3. Get the pitch clock in already.
4. No more steals
5. If a team gets to 15 runs they will be the winner instantly.
-These five speed up the game

But the biggest change is

6. No more duel players. Instead you have DHs and DFs. Basically a offense and a defense. Example you can have a bunch of David Ortiz type hitters vs a field of JBJ level fielders.

You watch people do what they are great at and stop watching the mess that some players can be when they are in the field/at the plate.

I'd love to see this happen to improve the quality of play and speed of the game. Football at the highest level gets away from duel players the MLB should do the same.

Re: Changes I'd like to see happen for MLB
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 10:54:44 AM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
These would dramatically change the game, but I'm not opposed to that.

I remember when I was a kid there was a rule about how many fouls you could hit before you were out. I was surprised that this was a rule. Then I was surprised again when watching a Major League game and being told they could foul it off forever.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 11:05:49 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The only changes I want to see are things to speed up the game.  I'm not against a pitch clock, but I think evaluating how long a pitcher or batter take between pitches could be evaluated after games and players should be fined for taking too long.  I think this already exists, but it should be more strict.  I also think they could cut down the number of warm up pitches to start an inning and when bringing in a new pitcher during an inning. If they could cut off just ten minutes per game, I think it would make it much more enjoyable to watch.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 11:07:56 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
How about shortening the season? Why do they play twice as many games as the next closest sport? 162 games is exhausting and only a die-hard fan can follow every game. I was much better when I was younger, but now I find it exhausting and not worth my time until much later in the season.

I could perhaps get behind like 3 designated fielders/hitters (get rid of the NL pitchers hitting crap), but not sure if I'd support a complete overhaul.

I am for whatever speeds up the game.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 11:23:45 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
How about shortening the season? Why do they play twice as many games as the next closest sport? 162 games is exhausting and only a die-hard fan can follow every game. I was much better when I was younger, but now I find it exhausting and not worth my time until much later in the season.

I could perhaps get behind like 3 designated fielders/hitters (get rid of the NL pitchers hitting crap), but not sure if I'd support a complete overhaul.

I am for whatever speeds up the game.

With the longer playoffs, I think they could go back to a 154 game season.  That won't happen though because of revenue.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 12:00:20 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
There is nothing wrong with the actual game. For me, baseball may be my favorite sport when it comes to the playoffs, with the NFL being easily the worst.

If fans are concerned about speeding up the game, then why not limit commercials to just one minute between each half inning and pitching changes. To make up for the other commercials missed, you can have a crawler at the bottom of the screen where sponsors can advertise while the game is being played. If soccer can survive with a similar format when the game is being played, then why can't baseball?

NFL rant: I hate the first round bye for the top two seeds in each conference. I find it ridiculous that a team like the Pats can play in one of the worst divisions in the league, which helps make them a virtual lock for one of the top two seeds. They only have to win one home playoff game to make the conference finals. It just seems stupid and what the Pats have accomplished less impressive to me.

And why does the NFL need a first round bye? Because of the physical nature of the game? They play 16 games over the course of 17 weeks. Each player only plays on one side of the ball. On average, a football game only has about 12 minutes of actual playing time. So that means each player averages around 96 minutes of actual playing time for the entire season.

End of NFL rant. Back to the MLB topic.

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 12:15:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There is nothing wrong with the actual game. For me, baseball may be my favorite sport when it comes to the playoffs, with the NFL being easily the worst.

If fans are concerned about speeding up the game, then why not limit commercials to just one minute between each half inning and pitching changes. To make up for the other commercials missed, you can have a crawler at the bottom of the screen where sponsors can advertise while the game is being played. If soccer can survive with a similar format when the game is being played, then why can't baseball?

NFL rant: I hate the first round bye for the top two seeds in each conference. I find it ridiculous that a team like the Pats can play in one of the worst divisions in the league, which helps make them a virtual lock for one of the top two seeds. They only have to win one home playoff game to make the conference finals. It just seems stupid and what the Pats have accomplished less impressive to me.

And why does the NFL need a first round bye? Because of the physical nature of the game? They play 16 games over the course of 17 weeks. Each player only plays on one side of the ball. On average, a football game only has about 12 minutes of actual playing time. So that means each player averages around 96 minutes of actual playing time for the entire season.

I see someone has never played football on any level.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 12:22:55 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

I see someone has never played football on any level.

Also: check out the Pats’ record versus the other divisions in the AFC. Or the average win percentage by division. The AFC East is not the worst. Sorry to hijack the thread.