Author Topic: That was one heck of a shove  (Read 3755 times)

Re: That was one heck of a shove
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 12:27:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The way I saw it, Embiid flopped himself onto the ground to sell it. Then he gets up nice and slow and then remembers he's on TV so he pretends he's real mad and plays the "hold me back" game.

The look on Smart's face says it all.
I'd say Smart is the flop master but Ilyasova is still in the league.  Embiid did sell it which is what he should have done.  If not, the refs may have just called one of those stupid double techs.  Embiid wasn't going to get himself stupidly thrown out of the game like Smart did.

Jeez man you sound like Embiid's wife on this thread. We get you like him.. no need to go go all Barb on us

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 12:58:58 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If this had happened during a playoff game and it cost us, or if it happened to cost us home court advantage by missing out on the No4 seed, nobody would be saying it was worth it. I love Marcus and we love passion but we want controlled aggression from him. If you want to show aggression you can hard foul Embiid when he's trying to make a basket. Or do a similar hard screen on him. Or if you really want to be a tough guy you can call Embiid out after the game to fight behind the bleachers like we all used to do in high school.

This pretty much sums it up for me. Posters love to call out other players for ego problems, but this was legitimately Smart putting his ego above the team.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 01:18:50 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
If it were a playoff game, I'd agree with those upset with Smart.  But it wasn't.  So I admire the passion, especially since that same passion is surely what fuels his effort level game after game after game.  We need more players on the team who can match Smart's effort. 

Then maybe he wouldn't always be the main target for other team's instigators.

Bring on that Thybulle guy from the draft. 

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 04:02:23 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Probably cost the Celtics the game so there's that.....

Exactly.  Leave the shoving to Baynes or Semi.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 04:22:24 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
All of those commercials have helped Embiid hone his acting skills.

At this rate, they'll name the "Oscars" the "Joels" in about  5 years.

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 04:25:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Rozier, Tatum, Brown, Morris, Hayward, or just about anyone else on the team did it, half this board would be calling for a trade of that player for playing so stupid, it cost the team the game. But Smart does it and people love it.

I don't get it. His lack of emotional control cost the team this game. Last year it cost the team Smart's ability to play for 10 games when he decided to punch a picture. But the fandom here won't call him out for it.

In a matter of 65 seconds of game play Smart's stupidity cost the Celtics 3 points trying to close out a shot he shouldn't have tried to close out. Then he pushes Embiid costing 2 more points via technical and causes the team to be even more shorthanded with Hayward and Baynes out and gave all the momentum to Philly. He cost this team the game.

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 03:58:07 AM »

Offline pistal47

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 6
I loved it and I love Smart. Smart is the only player on this team I'd be absolutely punch drunk over if we lost him in any of the future offseasons or seasons before the trade deadline. Oh, and Horford too. That really bothers me I didn't remember to throw Horford in there until right when I was about to post this. Love Al. Al, Smart, IT4, Paul "The Truth" Pierce, KG, Ray Allen, Avery Bradley, and Rajon Rondo -- all the players I've truly loved in the last decade or two, but PP, KG, IT4, and Smart are even more loved and special to me than anyone else. If it were up to me, all 4 would have their own key to the city for life, and I'm going to make sure when my sons are old enough, that I constantly show them clips and games involving those players and teams and I'm for [dang] sure I'm going to drill into their heads just how unbelievably special they were to this city and this franchise. But above all else, they will be shown more clips and highlights of IT4 and read up on him more than anyone else. Still kills me to this day he was traded. Make no mistake, my sons WILL know how great and magical a Celtic IT4 was above all else. He and PP are my all-time favorite Celtics, and besides KG it's probably not close. But his impact on this team and this city and the way he furiously spearheaded a rehabilitation in the Celtics franchise from day 1, and his true love for this city are beyond words for me.

Oh yea, Travis Knight and Vitaly Potapenko were great and beloved Celtics too. How could I almost forget those two gems?

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 04:08:52 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
If Rozier, Tatum, Brown, Morris, Hayward, or just about anyone else on the team did it, half this board would be calling for a trade of that player for playing so stupid, it cost the team the game. But Smart does it and people love it.

I don't get it. His lack of emotional control cost the team this game. Last year it cost the team Smart's ability to play for 10 games when he decided to punch a picture. But the fandom here won't call him out for it.

In a matter of 65 seconds of game play Smart's stupidity cost the Celtics 3 points trying to close out a shot he shouldn't have tried to close out. Then he pushes Embiid costing 2 more points via technical and causes the team to be even more shorthanded with Hayward and Baynes out and gave all the momentum to Philly. He cost this team the game.

His decisions ain't smart. He's trying to be KG when he's not. I'm still kinda irked about him punching a picture glass and injuring his hand as a result last year.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 04:27:30 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The way I saw it, Embiid flopped himself onto the ground to sell it. Then he gets up nice and slow and then remembers he's on TV so he pretends he's real mad and plays the "hold me back" game.

The look on Smart's face says it all.
I'd say Smart is the flop master but Ilyasova is still in the league.  Embiid did sell it which is what he should have done.  If not, the refs may have just called one of those stupid double techs.  Embiid wasn't going to get himself stupidly thrown out of the game like Smart did.

Jeez man you sound like Embiid's wife on this thread. We get you like him.. no need to go go all Barb on us
It doesn't matter that Embiid was the one involved.  My response would be the same.  There is nothing vicious or really out of the ordinary with a player putting out an elbow on a screen.  Of course the Smart apologists have to exaggerate what Embiid did to justify Smart's boneheaded response. 

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2019, 04:43:07 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

His decisions ain't smart. He's trying to be KG when he's not. I'm still kinda irked about him punching a picture glass and injuring his hand as a result last year.
Smart hasn't intentionally low blowed anyone yet to my recollection. 

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2019, 05:39:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Smart hasn't intentionally low blowed anyone yet to my recollection.
He also hasn’t won an MVP nor DPOY award
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2019, 07:51:32 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
As the OP i thought the elbow clipped Marcus on his jaw it was not till it was posted here did i find out it was in his chest..Better to get this type of decision making out of his system now rather than in the playoffs.
The fine, the attention and loss  of an so/so  game, may pay a dividend in playoff behavior.
I'm more concerned with shot selection of the heat check variety or getting fancy on his layups -there is only one Kyrie.
Im' not a fan of deep threes in transition after turnovers by both Marcus's.

Of course Marcus gets a pass because that same aggression fuels his defense. Will he react the same way?He says so!
Will this lead to cheap shots attempting to bait him during playoffs?
As it stands it's an expensive push and a flop by Embid.
An expensive warning of "WE NEED YOU MARCUS"

Embid has been asking for it and our guy pushed back. Remember when Cousins and Marcus got into it over Marcus hitting a screen too hard. Players don't do that now
.There is one player that is an exception JOHN COLLINS the guy is a brick wall with a quick pivot and roll.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 08:26:31 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2019, 10:52:37 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

CELTICS are soft, Celtics play soft. The coach is soft, the team has no enforcers. Yabu is soft big man,  Semi is a muscled but soft, Baynes cant even play a full game before he goes down with injury. Smart has to take care of himself. You dont want him to then get some enforcers on your team No one messed with Kobe led Lakers because World Peace was coming for you if you did. You want to protect your invaluable players get enforcers to protect them.  Have your soft coach spend a T every now and then for his players. Yell at a ref when Embiid is going to the free throw line more than Tatum visits his barber.

You do nto win championships being punked around  by the likes of Embiid. It was clear he did not want any part of Smart, who does?

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2019, 02:41:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I don't understand why you think this.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008