Author Topic: First Round Game 5 Atlanta Hawks at Boston Celtics, 4/30/08 (8:30pm TNT / CSN)  (Read 42784 times)

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11847
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 

Atlanta Hawks (2-2) at Boston Celtics (2-2)
Postseason Game #5 – Home Game #3
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
8:30 PM ET
TNT,   CSN HD
TD Banknorth Garden

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
  vs 
Rajon Rondo  PPG 12.8 RPG 4.30 APG 8.3 EFF + 20.75
Mike Bibby   PPG 11.8 RPG 2.50 APG 3.0 EFF + 8.00 

Shooting Guard
  vs 
Ray Allen   PPG 16.8 RPG 3.00 APG 3.5 EFF + 16.50
Joe Johnson PPG 22.0 RPG 4.30 APG 5.0 EFF + 17.75

SmallForward   

vs 
Paul Pierce   PPG 16.3 RPG 4.00 APG 4.5 EFF + 15.25 
Marvin Williams PPG 10.8 RPG 3.80 APG 0.8 EFF + 8.50

Power Forward
  vs 
Kevin Garnett    PPG 21.8 RPG 9.80 APG 2.8 EFF + 24.00
Josh Smith PPG 18.5 RPG 7.50 APG 3.3 EFF + 23.00

Center
  vs 
 Kendrick Perkins    PPG 6.8 RPG 6.50 APG 0.5 EFF + 11.00
Al Horford   PPG 12.5 RPG 11.50 APG 3.3 EFF + 20.25

SixthMan 
  vs 
James Posey    PPG 8.5 RPG 3.50 APG 1.3 EFF + 9.50     
Josh Childress    PPG 6.0 RPG 6.00 APG 1.3 EFF + 11.25

Key Matchups
  vs 
Ray Allen vs Joe Johnson
Joe Johnson almost single handedly beat the Celtics in game 4 scoring  22 of his 35 points in the 4th quarter.  Look for the Celtics to double Johnson or put Posey or Tony Allen on him to try to slow him down.  Ray needs to make him work harder on the defensive end to take a little more out of him on offense.

vs 
Kevin Garnett vs Josh Smith
In the 4th quarter of tame 4, the only two players to score were Joe Johnson and Josh Smith.  Smith finished the game with 28 points.  KG is going to have to apply more of what made him the defensive player of the year to slow down Smith who along with Johnson has been beating the Celtics in a two man attack. 

Honorable Mention

Rajon Rondo vs Mike Bibby
The matchup of the point guards is still an important one.  Rondo completely out played Bibby in the two games in Boston but in Atlanta, Bibby found his game again.  Rondo will need to keep Bibby from hitting those open 3's and will also have to make him work on defense by taking the ball to the hoop.   

Keys to the Game
DEFENSE, DEFENSE,  DEFENSE!!!!!   The major reason the Celtics lost games 3 and 4 is that they went away from playing the kind of defense that made them the best defensive team in the league during the regular season.  The Celtics allowed the Hawks to shoot 48% in the two games in Atlanta and that just isn't acceptable.   They need to control the pace instead of allowing the Hawks to do that and they can do that by clamping down on defense.   They must get back to basics and play the smothering team defense that they have played all season.  It is defense that will win this series and the championship. 

Rebound  As the old saying goes:  "Offense sells tickets, defense wins games, rebounding wins championships."  I think this is because the majority of rebounding is effort and desire and the team that wants it more and puts out more effort will get more rebounds and will win the game.  The Celtics were out-rebounded in both games in Atlanta and they need to put out the effort on the boards to limit their second and third chance shots. 

Free Throws   The Celtics missed 8 free throws in game 4 and  lost by only 5.  Missing free throws is the result of a lack of focus.  The Celtics need to regain their focus and when they do, they will hit more of their free throws.  They can't afford to give away any points, especially from the free throw line.

Be Aggressive  The Celtics have been settling for too many jumpers.  They need to be more aggressive in taking the ball to the basket and either get the basket or draw the foul.   They must also be more aggressive going after loose balls and rebounds. They have allowed the Hawks to be the more aggressive team, attacking the basket and going after loose balls etc.  The Celtics must now become the aggressors and attack the basket. 

Ball Movement  The Celtics must get back to moving the ball and finding the open man instead of each player trying to run his own offense.  They have taken too many quick shots and have gotten away from the team offense that has made them so successful all year. 

X-Factor
BenchPlay     Other than James Posey, the bench hasn't been getting it done in the last two games.  In the first two games, the bench played very well and gave the team a boost when they came in as well as giving the starters a rest without giving up anything on the court.  The bench must be more effective on both ends of the court. 

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
There's so much to say here I won't even say it.

My only point is this. We saw Timberwolves choke all day no confidence playoff time KG last game. He's had great playoffs games but when he gets like that it's obvious and there's no denying it. Yeah there were glaring issues and everybody did the odd dumb thing but I'm disappointed in him, if the Hawks can shake his confidence that shakes my confidence in him. I want 25-10-4-2-2 from the Ticket. 20 mil per deserves such demands and I fully expect it to happen. Let's do it. Let's scoff at the thugs, play our style of ball and act like we've been there before.

Rock the Garden.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
we need to run these fools...make them respect us....
powe pimpin needs to make his pimp hand stronger..
paul knows what he needs to do...

come on green...!

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
we need to run these fools...make them respect us....

You said it BASSTHUMPER...

We need a big win tonight in a pivotal game...I am hoping for a thrashing in all honestly.  We need to get the momentum back on our side in this series.

Unfortunately I won't be able to watch the game as I have to work.  Hopefully, this thread will be busy and you guys can keep my updated on everything.

Go C's!

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Keys to the Game
DEFENSE, DEFENSE,  DEFENSE!!!!!   The major reason the Celtics lost games 3 and 4 is that they went away from playing the kind of defense that made them the best defensive team in the league during the regular season.  The Celtics allowed the Hawks to shoot 48% in the two games in Atlanta and that just isn't acceptable.   They need to control the pace instead of allowing the Hawks to do that and they can do that by clamping down on defense.   They must get back to basics and play the smothering team defense that they have played all season.  It is defense that will win this series and the championship.

I want a 20-20 from KG.  That's what I want.  I want the the possessed animal who will not take no for an answer.  20-20 and the Celts imposing their will like they did all season.
Yup

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I want the team to stay out of early foul trouble,play their game,and not play outside it.Do the things that got us here,and more.But don't allow them to rattle you.Go CELTICS Go!

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
If Pierce is 100%, I'd like to see him go to the guys and say, "Let me take over this one.  Hop on my back, and I shall take you to the promised land.  Let's play D, and I'll get us points in the paint and free throws."

And when you do that, you've gotta take Cassel out.  You need a PG that can feed Pierce the rock when he's feeling the burn.
Baby Jesus!

Offline TAllen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 16
Rondo needs to play 40 minutes tonight. He is dominating Bibby whenever he's in there.

Offline Aussie Celtic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 19
Just wanted to pass on my best wishes to the boys in Green.

Talk about a season defining game.

Too nervous to say much more.  Hate Bob Ryan's article, just setting us up for a fall in my opinion.

We need to make our own luck, play like we can play and fight, scrap, scrape, scratch and claw (legally of course) every second of the game.

It's down to who wants it the most.

Go the Green !!!!

I'm cheering.

Cheers

Aussie

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I wish you all a great game.
A win is all that matters.
I'll look forward to reading
about this game tomorrow.

Goodnight.
Sleep tight.
We won't let the Hawks bite!

G O   C E L T I C S !

Offline KPKahd

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Hello all !
Im without television where I am so I cant watch the game. Does anyone know if there is a webcast of the game?

Thank you !
Debi

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Somebody kidnap Doc and let one of the assistants coach (think a take off of Celtic Pride).

Barring that have Ray tell KG to post up and go for 50.

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Triple double for all of the Big 3 and a quadruple double for Rondo.  48 minutes played by all 4 in a total domination effort.

OK, I'm starting to get the positive vibe back!

GO CELTS!!!

Time to tear the tendrils off the Hawks
Yup

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think the key to the game has to be the defense. It was the one thing over the last two days that was the same in both games. They played terrible defense in both games.

I want to see the smothering one on one defense with the tight perimeter control. I want to see the quick, sudden blitzes on the pick and roll that move the player with the ball at least two steps out of his way. I want to see the perimeter defender denying the path on the strong hand side, sending his opponent into help. I want to see the fast, relentless rotations on the swing of the ball around the perimeter. I want to see the bigs denying the position on the low block. I want to see people moving their guys out of the paint and away from the boards when the shot goes up. I want to see the backside defender watching the passing lanes and looking to trap when it's there. I want to see anyone going for an inside layup picking themselves up off the floor. I want a hand in every face that is taing a shot.

All I really want is the defense I've seen all year which just so happens to be everything above and everything that has been missing over the last two games. I want to see what we have become known for this year. I don't know how much we are going to score but I do know that I don't want to see Atlanta scoring anymore than 82.

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Just rely on the tools that you've used all year, Boyz ... monster D, attacking offense, and the extra pass, multiply it by ten, and dig down deep! Go Celtics!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *