Author Topic: knicks fans reactions on lin leaving and having an incompetent owner  (Read 22957 times)

Re: knicks fans reactions on lin leaving and having an incompetent owner
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2012, 02:24:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Lin says he wanted to return to New York and hoped they matched. 

If that was the case he never should have signed the offer sheet.  He should have just gone back to NY and told them what it would realistically take to have him back and then just signed with them.

Lin is all about the money.  Period.  He didn't play in a playoff game when he could have because he was a free agent.  He went out and signed a contract he knew the Knicks would have trouble matching because of its structure and then says he wants to come back.  Give me a break.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2012, 02:32:26 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

If that was the case he never should have signed the offer sheet.  He should have just gone back to NY and told them what it would realistically take to have him back and then just signed with them.

Lin is all about the money.  Period.  He didn't play in a playoff game when he could have because he was a free agent.  He went out and signed a contract he knew the Knicks would have trouble matching because of its structure and then says he wants to come back.  Give me a break.

There are two sides to this story as well.  New York should have made him an extension offer from the beginning.  According to all reports, they told Lin to test the market and he did.

Most rational human beings, when told by their employer to seek offers, would have sought offers, IMO.

There are about a hundred ways the Knicks could've handled this.  They chose the hundredth best way.

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2012, 02:35:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

New York couldn't offer him $25 million over three years, the most they could offer him was 16 over 3 (with more dollars up to 5 years)

« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

If that was the case he never should have signed the offer sheet.  He should have just gone back to NY and told them what it would realistically take to have him back and then just signed with them.

Lin is all about the money.  Period.  He didn't play in a playoff game when he could have because he was a free agent.  He went out and signed a contract he knew the Knicks would have trouble matching because of its structure and then says he wants to come back.  Give me a break.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome Stephen A Smith to CB.

Everything you just typed is word for word SAS talking points.
1, Knicks never offered Lin a contract.
2, They explicitly told Lin to test the market. And that they would match any offer sheet.
3, As a FA he shopped around for the best deal
4, Houston stepped up with an offer sheet. They structured the deal in a way that beneficial to them.
5, Knicks historically never shy to spend/waste money opted to not match. They went back on their word
6, Lin is now a Rocket

Lin spoke to SI http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/07/18/jeremy-lin-exclusive/index.html

« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I don't know where the incompetence in this situation is. 

The incompetence was trading your entire team for the snitchster.

Since management put all their eggs in the snitchster basket and the snitchster doesn't want to play with Lin....What else could management do?

Any team the snitchster is on is a bottom feeder playoff team.  But you're stuck with him.

« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I will say this, I think there's at least a shot Knicks fans are vindicated and that Lin proves to be a one hit wonder, or at least not nearly as good as he was for his midseason stretch last season. 

For instance, he averaged 21 and 8 for the month of February and then 14 and 6 for the month of March. 

Could it be the rookie wall?  Sure.  But that's an awful quick wall after one month of good play.  And that's not to say he might not have a good career, but he also might simply be a middle of the pack starting PG and not ever be anything truly special.

Still, the Knicks took a terrible PR blow here and will likely lose marketing dollars. 

Lin played well for 2 months in Dantoni's system. He will fade away softly in Houston or wherever else he gets dealt/shipped to.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

New York couldn't offer him $25 million over three years, the most they could offer him was 16 over 3 (with more dollars up to 5 years)
Yes but they could have matched contract offers.  If Lin really wanted to return he wouldn't have signed an offer he knew the Knicks would have trouble matching.  Of course Houston knew this which was why the offer was structured as it was and maybe they don't make an offer just to watch New York match. 

Lin was purely about the money, which is fine, just don't act like you aren't.

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2012, 04:49:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

If that was the case he never should have signed the offer sheet.  He should have just gone back to NY and told them what it would realistically take to have him back and then just signed with them.

Lin is all about the money.  Period.  He didn't play in a playoff game when he could have because he was a free agent.  He went out and signed a contract he knew the Knicks would have trouble matching because of its structure and then says he wants to come back.  Give me a break.
Yes but they could have matched contract offers.  If Lin really wanted to return he wouldn't have signed an offer he knew the Knicks would have trouble matching.  Of course Houston knew this which was why the offer was structured as it was and maybe they don't make an offer just to watch New York match.  

So he's supposed to take a 10 million dollar paycut to stay with the Knicks? They literally didn't extend him a contract offer and told him to get establish his market, which he did and then he's the "greedy one all about money".

16 million that is the most they could offer him without matching an offer sheet over 3 years. Houston isn't going to waste its time with an offer sheet they think wouldn't give NY problems.

You defend LeBron all the time as taking "less" money to win, taking 90 cents on the max deal compared to 64 cents is a massive difference.

« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2012, 04:55:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yes but they could have matched contract offers.  If Lin really wanted to return he wouldn't have signed an offer he knew the Knicks would have trouble matching.  Of course Houston knew this which was why the offer was structured as it was and maybe they don't make an offer just to watch New York match.  

So he's supposed to take a 10 million dollar paycut to stay with the Knicks? They literally didn't extend him a contract offer and told him to get establish his market, which he did and then he's the "greedy one all about money".

That is the most they could offer him without matching an offer sheet over 3 years. Houston isn't going to waste its time with an offer sheet they think wouldn't give NY problems.

You defend LeBron all the time as taking "less" money to win, taking 90 cents on the max deal compared to 64 cents is a massive difference.
Lin could literally sign a hundred endorsement deals if he wanted to and easily make all of the money he would ever need (and then some).  If he really wanted to return to New York, he would have.  He obviously cared more about Houston's money than he did about returning to New York.  Which is fine, just own up to that and don't say I would have preferred to return to the team that didn't want me as you are coming to a new team.  Not a good way to start off his second stint in Houston.

« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2012, 05:01:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

That is the most they could offer him without matching an offer sheet over 3 years. Houston isn't going to waste its time with an offer sheet they think wouldn't give NY problems.

Lin could literally sign a hundred endorsement deals if he wanted to and easily make all of the money he would ever need (and then some).  If he really wanted to return to New York, he would have.  He obviously cared more about Houston's money than he did about returning to New York.  Which is fine, just own up to that and don't say I would have preferred to return to the team that didn't want me as you are coming to a new team.  Not a good way to start off his second stint in Houston.
Endorsement deals can dry up awful fast if the wind of celeberity turns against you.

Since when is a guy who's with a team less than a season and is a RFA supposed to take a 40% discount on his contract so its easier for his team to match.

Remember they didn't even try to sign him, they told him to go get an offer sheet because they thought he wouldn't get a big offer like he did.

« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2012, 07:12:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Lin could literally sign a hundred endorsement deals if he wanted to and easily make all of the money he would ever need (and then some).  If he really wanted to return to New York, he would have.  He obviously cared more about Houston's money than he did about returning to New York.  Which is fine, just own up to that and don't say I would have preferred to return to the team that didn't want me as you are coming to a new team.  Not a good way to start off his second stint in Houston.
Endorsement deals can dry up awful fast if the wind of celeberity turns against you.

Since when is a guy who's with a team less than a season and is a RFA supposed to take a 40% discount on his contract so its easier for his team to match.

Remember they didn't even try to sign him, they told him to go get an offer sheet because they thought he wouldn't get a big offer like he did.
I'm not saying he should have taken a pay cut.  I would have signed Houston's offer sheet and wouldn't have given it a second thought if I was in his position.  I also wouldn't have taken a shot at my new team by saying how much I wanted to stay where I was.  That is my problem with what he said and what he did.  His actions say something different than his words. 

« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2012, 07:14:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Lin really wanted to return he wouldn't have signed an offer he knew the Knicks would have trouble matching.

Maybe Lin believed the claim that the Knicks would match any offer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2012, 01:46:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
DIdn't the Knicks just sign Felton?  They were better off letting Lin walk.  He's not very good.  He had a great 11 game stretch when he caught the league off guard... if he inevitably falls into "Flip Murray-esque" role player territory, I don't think he continues to sell out arenas... and then it's not worth the absurd amount of money the Knicks would have been paying in luxury tax. 

It was a nice little blip.  Now they can get back to Felton-sanity... back when Felton lead them to 13 wins in 14 games... averaged like 22 points and 11 assists during that stretch.

« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2012, 01:59:25 PM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33