Author Topic: Woj: Dwayne Wade To Sign With Cleveland On Wednesday  (Read 11730 times)

Re: Woj: Dwayne Wade To Sign With Cleveland On Wednesday
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2017, 03:36:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
So is this it? The cavs are officially the "old Celtics big 3" that are past their prime and trying to battle the "young up and coming lebron cavs/heat teams.." 

We've officially switched roles. De ja vu

The Cavs will really feel their age on the defensive end next year. Lebron really can't play intense defense throughout the game anymore. Love has always mediocre. Wade, Korver, Rose and IT are awful.
Crowder can be ok if he stops the regression and Thompson is good in most options. Overall really limited defensive options for them. This team would be so much scarier if they had infused some youth and athleticism from Butler or George.

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
So is this it? The cavs are officially the "old Celtics big 3" that are past their prime and trying to battle the "young up and coming lebron cavs/heat teams.." 

We've officially switched roles. De ja vu

The Cavs will really feel their age on the defensive end next year. Lebron really can't play intense defense throughout the game anymore. Love has always mediocre. Wade, Korver, Rose and IT are awful.
Crowder can be ok if he stops the regression and Thompson is good in most options. Overall really limited defensive options for them. This team would be so much scarier if they had infused some youth and athleticism from Butler or George.

will the results be the same on the East side

the newly formed Heat at their peak in a way made Ainge realize it was time to move on from the big 3
can the new Celtics young big 3 force Cleveland old 3 break up?

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 03:59:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I know he is a still good player, but I don't think his body will allow him to bring it every game. I can easily see him missing 15-20 games this season, so that may have a negative effect on the flow of the offense throughout the year. One other draw back that I see is Wade still seeing himself as a superstar player on par with LeBron. Will he take shots away from more capable players, just so he can justify his star status on the team?

This was Wade's scoring production against the Celtics during their first round match up last season:
Game 1 - 11
Game 2 - 22
Game 3 - 18
Game 4 - 11
Game 5 - 26
Game 6 - 2

He had a monster game 5, but was gassed in game 6, and was inconsistent throughout the series.
It was more a question of getting to the line.  Wade's shots were 12, 16, 18, 12, 18, 10.  Game 2 he shot very well and game 6 he shot very poorly, but otherwise wasn't much different (overall poor).  In game 3 he got 6 FT's and game 5 he got 10, he wasn't above 2 FT's in any other game.  That says it is more about aggression than anything else.

He is very old. He will be 36 halfway through the season.

To put this in perspective, Pierce, a player that probably relied on less athleticism throughout the year was 36 in his season in Brooklyn. That year his scoring per game plummeted from 18 to 13, his assists were cut in half and his minutes also declined and played 5 less minutes a game. His shooting stayed pretty consistent but he was clearly no longer the same player. The next season he fossilized further on Washington. It certainly would not be surprising to see Wade fall off a cliff here, especially as a guy that has had a lot of nagging injuries throughout this career. When these guys fall to age a lot of times it is very swift.

I think that's already happened to Wade. He looked very old in the playoffs last year. I don't think The Cavs can rest all those players all year. The Cavs would really benefit more from some young players to help them through the regular season, see Spurs and Warriors.

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 04:23:38 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
On a slightly different topic... the NBA has to do something about the buyouts. It makes it easier for already-contending teams to run away from the pack. And yes, I know that the Celtics won a title in '08 in part because they picked up PJ Brown.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 04:35:40 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
On a slightly different topic... the NBA has to do something about the buyouts. It makes it easier for already-contending teams to run away from the pack. And yes, I know that the Celtics won a title in '08 in part because they picked up PJ Brown.
  why? The buyouts are mutual. Would you be saying this is we signed wade? Lol

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2017, 04:38:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

PJ was retired, though, not bought out. We got Sam Cassell through buy-out and he was nearly useless and kept the more effective Eddie House off the court for much of the playoffs. So we're still good  ;)

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2017, 04:42:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Wade and D-Rose are redundant. Two old guys who struggle on defense, have poor jump-shots and need the ball in their hands to be useful.

The Cavs are going to struggle fitting both of these into their team. Tough to play them alongside one another given their combined (and similar) strengths & weaknesses. Nevermind LeBron as well next to them.

I reckon a lot of their (D-Rose, D-Wade) offense will come at the expense of K-Love. Their isn't enough touches or shot attempts to go around. I believe Love will see less of the ball next year because of these two guard's ball dominant ways. Less Love is bad for Cleveland. They already under-utilize Love offensively. Especially in their failure to take advantage of his high post passing skills. So more D-Rose and D-Wade scoring at cost of K-Love's scoring who is the more efficient and consistent scoring threat. And more ball-handling 25 feet from the basket instead with a set defense in front of them instead of utilizing Love's passing ability inside the arc. More predicable offense, less variety to their offense and easier to defend.

Even worse is the defensive situation in the backcourt. D-Rose is a train-wreck on defense. Even worse than IT. Wade is better but still a liability. Throw in Calderon as the alternate (who shouldn't even be in the NBA anymore given how much of a liability he is on defense and how limited he is on offense) and Cleveland has a major quickness + defensive issue in the backcourt. Like that Brooklyn team with Pierce and KG a few years ago. JR Smith is literally their best defensive player in the backcourt -- and it isn't even close! Which is amazing. How a team expects to contend with such a shoddy and slow defensive backcourt ... I do not know. And it's not like Cleveland is blessed with a top notch interior defender & shot blocker either. This team is going to be in the bottom 3rd defensively next year. No question in my mind about that.

They got a lot of issues they need to fix between now and the trade deadline.

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
He owes IT an apology for hard fouling him so hard he was out for at least 2 weeks.

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2017, 04:55:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
so all the old gang are gonna be  this season. .....whoo hoo...... Im sure they will all get along fabulous and not complain.    ;D

They will all bolt to LA for a tour with Lavars family .  Sell some BiG Baller shoes ...Wonder if Lebron is gonna hep out brother Lavar sell shoes .   

That should really be a three ring Circus .   And even better if Melo joins them.

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2017, 05:27:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Wade and D-Rose are redundant. Two old guys who struggle on defense, have poor jump-shots and need the ball in their hands to be useful.

The Cavs are going to struggle fitting both of these into their team. Tough to play them alongside one another given their combined (and similar) strengths & weaknesses. Nevermind LeBron as well next to them.

I expect Rose to get more play with the starters at the beginning of the season while Isaiah rehabs.

By springtime, Rose will likely be playing fewer minutes off the bench.  I doubt he plays a larger role during the playoffs than Deron played for them this past season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2017, 05:34:01 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I expect Rose to get more play with the starters at the beginning of the season while Isaiah rehabs.

By springtime, Rose will likely be playing fewer minutes off the bench.  I doubt he plays a larger role during the playoffs than Deron played for them this past season.

what are the chances Rose plays much better with LeBron than he did with Melo

last year he's played 64 games with 18 ppg, a bit better than his previous season with Chicago at 66 games at 16 ppg.

If for the most part he is healthy, and plays well and they're winning, IT might be bought off the bench in Cleveland...

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2017, 06:01:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

It seems like that could really upset Rose and cost him a lot of money. He needs to show he can stay healthy and play significant minutes at 28 years old on a one year deal. This IT/Smith/Rose/Wade seems like it could be a disaster for a lot of reasons.

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2017, 06:24:40 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

A lineup I'd be curious to see:

IT - Wade - J.R. - Crowder - Bron

TP. I would like to see Cleveland try out a lineup with James at center to counter the death lineup by Golden State. It will never happen, but if James would agree to become the full time center this would create so much options for Cleveland on offense. And their rotations would become more easy to manage in terms of minutes and fit.

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2017, 07:07:17 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

It seems like that could really upset Rose and cost him a lot of money. He needs to show he can stay healthy and play significant minutes at 28 years old on a one year deal. This IT/Smith/Rose/Wade seems like it could be a disaster for a lot of reasons.
That's what I was thinking. Someone's going to end up with the short stick, minutes-wise, here and I'm not sure which one of this group is going to be the magnanimous one.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2017, 07:12:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This is like a 2016-17 Bulls/Knicks medley, but with Lebron in place of Butler/Melo.

I know it looks interesting on paper, but this has the possibility of going full-on train wreck. This seems like too much of a good(bad!) thing. Who is going to play and when? Does anybody trust that Ty Lue is going to figure out successful rotations for this team? The roster makes very little sense and guys like Love, Crowder, and IT are going to get lost in the fray...and they're the ones who should be leading the charge behind Lebron.