Author Topic: "Celtics had a great year, they're the team to beat next year"  (Read 2203 times)

Re: "Celtics had a great year, they're the team to beat next year"
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 12:56:37 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
"This was a great season, they were missing 2 stars and next year Kyrie and Gordon will be back, there's no doubt Boston will be the best in the east by far"...

1. So it's suddenly a given that there will be no major injuries next year and that Gordon, Irving (who is always hurt) and Horford will be healthy come the playoffs? This is a big assumption.

2. And what if LeBron goes to Philly? It's either Houston or Philly, so let's hope it's Houston.

3. Are we sure next year isn't Kyrie's last here? Isn't he a FA after next year? A lot of people are speculating he is unhappy and wasn't on the bench etc etc.

the chances of losing your top 2 all-stars in a given season is pretty slim....so to expect it to repeat next year is probably more of a big assumption. You could say the same for any team in the nba. what if Steph Curry and Durant both suffer major injuries?

Gordon haywards injury was a freak injury, and Kyrie's was pretty minor as it was something he was going to have to have done prior to the season(remember he was going to have it done if the cavs didnt trade him). The infection is what caused him to miss more time.

I have seen no speculation/indication that Kyrie isnt happy here. Most likely he signs an extension with the celtics. He's in the perfect situation where he left the cavs and can compete for championships on a team where he is the man.

why all the negativity? Even the most negative fan should look at next years possibilities and be excited at this teams potential.

Didn't say they all will be injured, but wouldn't be shocked if one of them were injured. It's not being negative it's about being realistic, a bird in the hand beats a bird in the bush. We still don't have an answer for the rebounding problems and aren't likely to solve that in FA. I also think we need more firepower off the bench even if our stars are healthy. I think we are the favorites in the east if LeBron doesn't go to Philly (he just might) and we are healthy next year. However, I don't think our team healthy beats GSW - we need more.

how is it realistic to expect a season ending injury to one of your All-stars every year? if thats the case every team in the NBA is cooked if that is the norm. I wonder if GSW fans say its likely that every year one of Durant/Curry/Klay will suffer a season ending injury.

History would tell us it is more the outlier than the norm...

I said wouldn't be shocked, not that I definitely expect it. All 3 of our stars have had injury problems in their careers. For GSW the only one is Curry who has had many issues. Do some people here just wear green glasses all the time and never try to look at things objectively and in a non-biased way?

And Durant has had foot issues...your point?

There is nothing objective and non-biased in expecting one of your all-stars to suffer a season ending injury every year. Lets not equate over the top negativity with being "objective and non-biased" that type of thinking is just as bad or worse as posters who shout to trade Kyrie irving because we have Scary terry.

now tell me all the injuries that have plagued Gordon Hayward? Unless dislocating your ankle on a routine dunk is pretty common.

Again, putting words in my mouth. I am saying I wouldn't be shocked at all. Further, here is Gordon's injury history as it seems like you may not be aware of Google.com: https://www.foxsports.com/nba/gordon-hayward-player-injuries

Durant had some foot problems but not a long history.

Please feel free to look at facts sometimes.

how many of those are season ending? listing every minor injury a player has had does not mean they are injury prone. here is Kevin Durants whom you claim has had no injuries and it is much longer than Haywards
https://www.foxsports.com/nba/kevin-durant-player-injuries

games played last 5 years in Utah are 72,77,76,80,73

Again, just putting words in my mouth - I just acknowledged Durant has had foot problems; he has also come back afterwards and shown he is the same player, which we have not seen yet from Gordon as he has not come back yet. Is this so hard to comprehend? Next you will say "you said Hayward will never be the same,"

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 01:05:23 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Your own words "Durant had some foot problems but not a long history."

I just gave you a list of all of Durants injuries which is much longer than Haywards and includes more than just "foot problems" and you are ignoring it.

That same list is what you are using to say Hayward is injury prone...You are changing the subject now to who will recover better from their major injury. That is not what this discussion was about originally.

You had stated these guys are injury prone and you wouldn't be surprised if one of them is gone with a major injury for the playoffs next year. If I use that same logic with durant, considering his list is longer I wouldnt be surprised if he misses the playoffs next year!..

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 01:09:46 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
Your own words "Durant had some foot problems but not a long history."

I just gave you a list of all of Durants injuries which is much longer than Haywards and includes more than just "foot problems" and you are ignoring it.

That same list is what you are using to say Hayward is injury prone...You are changing the subject now to who will recover better from their major injury. That is not what this discussion was about originally.

You had stated these guys are injury prone and you wouldn't be surprised if one of them is gone with a major injury for the playoffs next year.

At least you are being honest in repeating my words that I wouldn't be surprised, which I wouldn't. GSW have dealt with injuries in the playoffs too, but they have more firepower. My point was that we need more firepower and people need to stop resting on their laurels saying that we will definitely be the team to beat next year, etc., and that it's okay we choked this year because we will definitely be better next year.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 01:16:20 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
"This was a great season, they were missing 2 stars and next year Kyrie and Gordon will be back, there's no doubt Boston will be the best in the east by far"...

1. So it's suddenly a given that there will be no major injuries next year and that Gordon, Irving (who is always hurt) and Horford will be healthy come the playoffs? This is a big assumption.

2. And what if LeBron goes to Philly? It's either Houston or Philly, so let's hope it's Houston.

3. Are we sure next year isn't Kyrie's last here? Isn't he a FA after next year? A lot of people are speculating he is unhappy and wasn't on the bench etc etc.

the chances of losing your top 2 all-stars in a given season is pretty slim....so to expect it to repeat next year is probably more of a big assumption. You could say the same for any team in the nba. what if Steph Curry and Durant both suffer major injuries?

Gordon haywards injury was a freak injury, and Kyrie's was pretty minor as it was something he was going to have to have done prior to the season(remember he was going to have it done if the cavs didnt trade him). The infection is what caused him to miss more time.

I have seen no speculation/indication that Kyrie isnt happy here. Most likely he signs an extension with the celtics. He's in the perfect situation where he left the cavs and can compete for championships on a team where he is the man.

why all the negativity? Even the most negative fan should look at next years possibilities and be excited at this teams potential.

Didn't say they all will be injured, but wouldn't be shocked if one of them were injured. It's not being negative it's about being realistic, a bird in the hand beats a bird in the bush. We still don't have an answer for the rebounding problems and aren't likely to solve that in FA. I also think we need more firepower off the bench even if our stars are healthy. I think we are the favorites in the east if LeBron doesn't go to Philly (he just might) and we are healthy next year. However, I don't think our team healthy beats GSW - we need more.

how is it realistic to expect a season ending injury to one of your All-stars every year? if thats the case every team in the NBA is cooked if that is the norm. I wonder if GSW fans say its likely that every year one of Durant/Curry/Klay will suffer a season ending injury.

History would tell us it is more the outlier than the norm...

I said wouldn't be shocked, not that I definitely expect it. All 3 of our stars have had injury problems in their careers. For GSW the only one is Curry who has had many issues. Do some people here just wear green glasses all the time and never try to look at things objectively and in a non-biased way?

Not to sound like a jerk, but I find it slightly hypocritical that you make a post like this, then make a trade proposal for AD that includes Al Horford...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 01:21:55 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
Just to match salary. Brown & the Kings pick would be the centerpieces.

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 01:32:04 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
These seem to be under contract for next year...who knows about the rest.

Irving
Brown
Hayward
Horford
(Big)

Tatum
Morris
Rozier

Theis
Guard
Wing
Big

The Celtic's "top seven" players for next year? Look pretty good to me. Tatum, Morris and Rozier rotating in? See what else Ainge conjures up for bigs. We can certainly rely on Yabusele to gobble up 105 seconds a game...while Semi figures out to average a little more than one shot per game.

Anyway, Stevens played out this season with a 7 man rotation. No spakplug, no change up to speak of...no nuthn'. The Celtics were actually relying on Shane Larkin, a Spanish league guy who is one of the NBA's smallest players to come into playoff games and get things going. Semi averaged 2 attempts per playoff appearance. I guess the oposing coach was able to plan for that?

Next year Stevens will have an 8 to 9 man rotation in the playoffs.

Who gets better in the east next year? Bux? Philly? Cavs? Indy? Raps?........I like our chances.