Author Topic: What are TommyPoints for?  (Read 10557 times)

Re: What are TommyPoints for?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 03:22:28 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
It's a hustle play that Tommy Heinsohn deems a tommy point.  It's going that extra mile to win a ballgame.

There is also a player that gets chosen and receives the tommy award.  It's a player that usually did something sometimes overlooked to win a game.  It's not always the obvious guy.  Sometimes is but sometimes isn't.

It's usually the guy who played the hardest that game and cared, risked the most trying to get a win.  It's not just hustle. It's going above and beyond.
TP for causing eyeroll when I read it, lol

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 03:24:03 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
Some of us gambled all of our Tommy Points away.
Lol  :o

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 03:24:32 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
On here its for enlightenment purposes only.

A true tommy point given by mr celtics , I mean Heinsohn, are the root of pure celtic.  Think of rondo diving past player for ball, bird bouncing his face off floor, cowens bouncing face off ball off floor  ::)

Not every player is the top of skill set at his given position but players that will outwork someone means tp. 

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 03:25:04 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
You can trade them in for Celtics SWAG. (key chains, jerseys, posters, etc.)

Although I heard you need 5,000 just for Celtics coffee mug so it might be awhile before you get something good.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 03:25:10 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
You can redeem them at Tommy Hilfilger outlets for discounts on team apparel.
That would be kinda cool, actually  8)

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 03:25:38 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
just found this thread because of this one.  I found this thread interesting.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=17140.0

The first tommy point was rewarded to vitaly potopenko. Not surprising because Tommy loved him.

Tommy was also Red's whipping boy.  This board loves to trash james young which makes sense in ways but Tommy does not do that. He roots for him. He also trashes people who turn against certain players.  He can't stand mike felger.

I think Tommy is smarter than a lot of people give him credit for.  He's not a homer either.  He had Rondo and Sully's backs when they were being trashed around the internet.  He will criticize them when it's right to do so though.

I love Tommy too but......

He's not a homer ???

Dude.

I think the term homer in general is a bit not even used the right way.  Tommy is a celtic to me. I really don't consider him a homer To alot of people he's shrek too. I think that one is at least funny.  Calling Heinsohn a homer is almost a sign of disrespect.  It's really a shot at the celtics by people who really are much more flawed then he is.

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 03:26:06 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White

Although I heard you need 5,000 just for Celtics coffee mug so it might be awhile before you get something good.

So it's like the Chuck E. Cheese skee-ball tickets then??

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2016, 03:32:11 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Do people really expect Heinsohn to not be rooting for his own team?   I'd rather listen to him than Hubie Brown who just spouts nonsense all game and says nothing.

If that makes him a homer so be it.  I tend to think when people say it they mean it as an insult.  Sometimes not but a lot of the time it is. I hear the tone.

Tommy to me is a real good dude who understands the sport and other teams very well. There are some guys who just mindlessly root for their own team.  Tommy understands the sport really well.

Why actual tommy points are so cool. He's trying to get the most out of every player on the floor.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:37:39 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2016, 03:32:34 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

So it's like the Chuck E. Cheese skee-ball tickets then??

From what I was told. Not sure how they take them once redeemed. I don't think I'll acquire enough in my lifetime.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2016, 03:35:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's like cumulative upvotes that avoid clogging up threads with white noise "this" or "ditto" posts.

Giving and receiving TPs are great and one of the nice little features of the site. Just never put any stock into how many you or anyone else has, or the ratio or whatever. That way lies madness.

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2016, 03:36:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Some of us gambled all of our Tommy Points away.
Lol  :o
I wish I could say i can laugh about it now but it still hurts  :(

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2016, 03:37:19 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
Do people really expect Heinsohn to not be rooting for his own team?   I'd rather listen to him than Hubie Brown who just spouts nonsense all game and says nothing.

If that makes him a homer so be it.  I tend to think when people say it they mean it as an insult.  Sometimes not but a lot of the time it is. I hear the tone.

Tommy to me is a real good dude who understands the sport and other teams very well. There are some guys who just mindlessly root for their own team.  Tommy understands the sport really well.

Spot on, TP!
Johnny Most was the ultimate "homer" and most people seemed to like him, but the last few years Ive read a lot of negative stuff about Heinsohn on the internet.  I don't get why he's disliked....

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2016, 03:47:14 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It's like cumulative upvotes that avoid clogging up threads with white noise "this" or "ditto" posts.

Giving and receiving TPs are great and one of the nice little features of the site. Just never put any stock into how many you or anyone else has, or the ratio or whatever. That way lies madness.
I just wish I knew which of my posts were getting the TP's.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2016, 03:49:25 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Tps are the stuff of life, the source of joy, a river of glory, and a marker of both greatness and contentment.

To receive them is bliss. To be denied them is to be cast into the pits of [dang]ation.

Life is made better for having received them. All of us here at CB live for them, seek them out, thirst for them and suffer doubts of inadequacy when we don't receive them.

The thrill given by heroin and crack pale in comparison and neither has the allure of a well deserved TP.

I hope this answers the OPs question.  ;D

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2016, 03:49:30 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I just wish I knew which of my posts were getting the TP's.

Yeah me too. That's what i was saying on page 1. There should be a ticker for each comment that says whether it received a TP or not. It would act similar to a "Like" button on other forums, where the poster received the "points", if you will, and also it is visible to all that that specific comment/post received a certain amount of TPs
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about