Author Topic: The Great Chuck Berry Dies at 90 RIP  (Read 3435 times)

The Great Chuck Berry Dies at 90 RIP
« on: March 18, 2017, 07:04:31 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Rock n roll pioneer and legend. RIP.

Absolutely among the greatest of all time.

Re: The Great Chuck Berry Dies at 90 RIP
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 04:07:50 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Bumping this to allow another opportunity for recognition here for the man who is probably the single most influential innovator of rock and roll.   I don't think there has been a RR artist anywhere who doesn't owe a debt of gratitude to Chuck Berry.  Elvis is CALLED the King, but Chuck Berry was really the king of Rock 'n Roll.  Absolutely amazing to think that he wrote Roll Over Beethoven in 1956, and Rock and Roll Music in 1957, and Jonny B Goode in 1958. Just as Elvis was coming onto the scene as an entertainer, Berry was writing classic rock and roll songs that have been played/covered by every decent rock band since.  Amazing innovator, amazing song-writer, brilliant entertainer, bridged racial divide in terms of popularity when it was not easy to do so.  The timeless nature of his music is shown in that his songs show up constantly in modern pop culture -- commercials and in movies (notably, remember the famous John Travolta dance scene with Uma Thurman was to "You Never Can Tell"), The Beatles covered his songs, as did Springsteen, James Taylor, The Grateful Dead, The Beach Boys (their anthem Surfin' USA was actually Berry's "Sweet Little 16" with some lyrics adjustments), The Stones, The Who, Dylan, and virtually EVERY great artist and band of the 60's and 70's (and probably the 80' to present).   

CHUCK BERRY IS A MOUNT RUSHMORE TYPE OF LEGEND.

"“If you tried to give rock-and-roll another name, you might call it ‘Chuck Berry’ ” - John Lennon

“While no individual can be said to have invented rock and roll, Chuck Berry comes the closest of any single figure to being the one who put all the essential pieces together,” reads Mr. Berry’s induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/mar/19/greatest-rocknroll-writer-who-ever-lived-tributes-pour-in-for-chuck-berry

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/chuck-berry-wild-man-of-rock-who-helped-define-its-rebellious-spirit-dies-at-90/ar-BBylukP?OCID=ansmsnnews11

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 04:11:52 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Truly an elite musician, a pioneer waaaayyyy ahead of his time. Elvis, The Beatles, most everyone that came afterwards owes a ton to him.

I really don't think most people realize who he was and what he accomplished, how important he was for music. It's a shame.

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 04:35:43 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
One of my favorites!

An ICON!

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 04:57:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
There aren't a whole lot of bridges to that generation of music left over.  A hugely exciting time and he was at the forefront.  It's funny, I always revered the guy, but I never listened to his music much besides the radio.  I certainly reaped the benefit of his influence with the British invasion bands largely modeled after his style. 

RIP
Yup

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 05:34:02 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Bumping this to allow another opportunity for recognition here for the man who is probably the single most influential innovator of rock and roll.   I don't think there has been a RR artist anywhere who doesn't owe a debt of gratitude to Chuck Berry.  Elvis is CALLED the King, but Chuck Berry was really the king of Rock 'n Roll.  Absolutely amazing to think that he wrote Roll Over Beethoven in 1956, and Rock and Roll Music in 1957, and Jonny B Goode in 1958. Just as Elvis was coming onto the scene as an entertainer, Berry was writing classic rock and roll songs that have been played/covered by every decent rock band since.  Amazing innovator, amazing song-writer, brilliant entertainer, bridged racial divide in terms of popularity when it was not easy to do so.  The timeless nature of his music is shown in that his songs show up constantly in modern pop culture -- commercials and in movies (notably, remember the famous John Travolta dance scene with Uma Thurman was to "You Never Can Tell"), The Beatles covered his songs, as did Springsteen, James Taylor, The Grateful Dead, The Beach Boys (their anthem Surfin' USA was actually Berry's "Sweet Little 16" with some lyrics adjustments), The Stones, The Who, Dylan, and virtually EVERY great artist and band of the 60's and 70's (and probably the 80' to present).   

"“If you tried to give rock-and-roll another name, you might call it ‘Chuck Berry’ ” - John Lennon

“While no individual can be said to have invented rock and roll, Chuck Berry comes the closest of any single figure to being the one who put all the essential pieces together,” reads Mr. Berry’s induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/mar/19/greatest-rocknroll-writer-who-ever-lived-tributes-pour-in-for-chuck-berry

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/chuck-berry-wild-man-of-rock-who-helped-define-its-rebellious-spirit-dies-at-90/ar-BBylukP?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Cool... but Elvis' first record came out in 1954 (Elvis was 19), a full year before Chuck's first recording in 1955 (Chuck was 28)...Both are great for what they gave to R&R Music...Of course Chuck was a Great song writer as well. R.I.P.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 05:37:10 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
There aren't a whole lot of bridges to that generation of music left over.  A hugely exciting time and he was at the forefront.  It's funny, I always revered the guy, but I never listened to his music much besides the radio.  I certainly reaped the benefit of his influence with the British invasion bands largely modeled after his style. 

RIP

I was born in 1958 when Johnny B Goode was released, so I wasn't aware at the time -- but, when the Beatles covered Roll Over Beethoven and Rock and Roll Music, I became a Berry fan.  The London Chuck Berry Session was an interesting live recording and includes a live version of his ONLY number 1 hit "My Ding-a-Ling" which had to be his worst hit song.  Though he brought black and white fans together, the fact that his greatest songs were never chart-toppers, has to speak to the racism of the day.  White audiences and record-buyers were keen on Elvis as their own rebel rocker, but not quite as much on the singer-songwriter Berry who was really a far greater influence on the development of rock music.  Still, he was great enough to have cross-over fame into popular music along with mellower, more crooning black artists like Sam Cooke or Jackie Wilson.  Berry was kind of where Fats Domino, Sam Cooke and Buddy Holly met, creating a sound that was unique -- peppy and bluesy at the same time -- with clear, articulate vocals and a mean guitar.   

Some of my favorites:  "Memphis" (a hit later for Johnny Rivers) was such a great song (probably my favorite), Brown-Eyed handsome Man, You Never Can Tell, Promised Land (covered by probably hundreds of bands) along with classics Roll Over Beethoven, Rock and Roll Music, Johnny B Goode, and Reelin' and Rockin'.  School Days, Sweet Little 16 and Maybelline are probably familiar to many young people as songs they've heard just through every day pop culture.

I'd love to here from Berry fans who can recommend less well-known Berry songs. 

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 05:38:10 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Cool... but Elvis' first record came out in 1954 (Elvis was 19), a full year before Chuck's first recording in 1955 (Chuck was 29)...Both are great for what they gave to R&R Music...Of course Chuck was a Great song writer as well. R.I.P.

Chuck Berry was doing what he was doing long before that first record came out though. Not many records labels at that time were looking forward to marketing him. They did look forward to taking that sound and packaging it in the form of a good looking white guy in Elvis though. Marketing gold.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 05:41:09 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378

RIP

I was born in 1958 when Johnny B Goode was released, so I wasn't aware at the time -- but, when the Beatles covered Roll Over Beethoven and Rock and Roll Music, I became a Berry fan.  The London Chuck Berry Session was an interesting live recording and includes a live version of his ONLY number 1 hit "My Ding-a-Ling" which had to be his worst hit song.  Though he brought black and white fans together, the fact that his greatest songs were never chart-toppers, has to speak to the racism of the day.  White audiences and record-buyers were keen on Elvis as their own rebel rocker, but not quite as much on the singer-songwriter Berry who was really a far greater influence on the development of rock music.  Still, he was great enough to have cross-over fame into popular music along with mellower, more crooning black artists like Sam Cooke or Jackie Wilson.  Berry was kind of where Fats Domino, Sam Cooke and Buddy Holly met, creating a sound that was unique -- peppy and bluesy at the same time -- with clear, articulate vocals and a mean guitar.   

Some of my favorites:  "Memphis" (a hit later for Johnny Rivers) was such a great song (probably my favorite), Brown-Eyed handsome Man, You Never Can Tell, Promised Land (covered by probably hundreds of bands) along with classics Roll Over Beethoven, Rock and Roll Music, Johnny B Goode, and Reelin' and Rockin'.  School Days, Sweet Little 16 and Maybelline are probably familiar to many young people as songs they've heard just through every day pop culture.

I'd love to here from Berry fans who can recommend less well-known Berry songs.

I saw Chuck in 1989 in Las Vegas---he could still do the Duck Walk at the time-!
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 06:21:23 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

Cool... but Elvis' first record came out in 1954 (Elvis was 19), a full year before Chuck's first recording in 1955 (Chuck was 28)...Both are great for what they gave to R&R Music...Of course Chuck was a Great song writer as well. R.I.P.

Neither of us were there to mark the moment each really hit the scene, but Elvis' first USA charted song was Heartbreak Hotel in 1956.  His early recordings were making the rounds in country music circles.  Anyway it's probably fair to say they were rolling into the country's awareness at about the same time.

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 07:27:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He ve been down all,da about this since I heard.

He lived a great life and left his mark on history.......and millions of lives .  Just though music , he kinda help shape the world the past 60 plus years.

Rest in Peace.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 07:31:21 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Chuck Berry was the Real Deal. He pretty much invented rock and roll. He was a major influence on the Beatles, the Stones and the Beach Boys. RIP

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 07:54:41 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
he's duckwalking in heaven now
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 02:56:14 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton