Author Topic: Tacko Fall moving better-really impressed with his growth  (Read 6132 times)

Re: Tacko Fall moving better-really impressed with his growth
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 08:55:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
So it's a good thing that Tacko looks better against vastly inferior competition but that's the bare minimum for a guy that wants to play in the NBA.  I remember how good (and even fluid) Ante Zizic looked in his highlight videos from Europe.  But once I saw him in the NBA, he looked like a complete stiff.

Not saying Tacko won't or can't make it but the odds are stacked against him, especially considering how the game has changed.
You're really exaggerating how bad zizic is. He's averaging 17 minutes per game for the 10th seed cavs, up from 14 minutes a game last season. Teams don't increase minutes for useless stiffs

Zizic seems to be a decent rotation caliber NBA player
He's played 17 minutes total this season, all during one game against Philly where they got blown out.

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 10:05:16 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
I agree that Tacko in the NBA is a longshot of sorts. I, being a lunatic have, in fact, watched the Red Claw's games.

This is what i have seen beyond Waters being a very able point guard whom will be fine in the NBA.

Tacko is better now than he was at UCF. By the way? Tacko was good at UCF and played every game for four years, so he isn't some oddity. UCF won a ton of games with him starting at center.

Yes, at 7'6" and 300 pounds he moves differently from other human beings, one of those things I guess.

Tacko watches the floor from his mountaintop and of late, has shown some commitment to the action. Not every play. He is no Javonte Green, but, Tacko is getting better. He is decisive with the ball. His feet on the floor make pretty good sense and his positioning is around a C+ which is better that the C- or D we have been seeing. He still occasionally skips running up the court with his team, but, he is 7'6" 300 pounds and I don't know how that feels.

They put him on short rotations and it seems to work. His passes are good, although rarely does he have the ball in a "non dunk" situation.

Now here is an observation which may be just jive on my part, but, I think it is legit.

The Red Claws play better when Tacko Fall is on the court.

The kids feel different with Tacko on the post on offense. The passing dynamics are different, not sure if stats confirm this or not.

On defense, the opposing team's dynamics are different. Perhaps the kids have never played against Tacko and they haven't adjusted yet, but, when they scan the Red Claw's defense for a point of attack? There's this giant guy standing there and what the heck, he's kind of in the way.

Finally, I suggest the team gains confidence with Tacko. He's kind of a living totem. "We will be victorious because we have the tallest guy in a game that is about height."

All that aside, in the NBA I would like to see how he deals with Vucevic, Drummond et al. I don't mean to say he would be a great starting center, but, would he be a good "third center" and thus, be out there once in awhile for us to cheer for him.   

TP: Great analysis....

You watched all the Red Claws games? Did you have to subscribe to NBA TV to see them?

I only saw one game scheduled on Comcast's NBC Sports Boston. I would like to see more. Do you (or anyone else) know if they are on another cable channel? 

I agree the team (usually) plays better when he's on the court. This was obvious in the Summer League and preseason as well. He seems to act as an unspoken catalyst. Others around him magically pick up their game. 

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 11:26:03 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Tacko seems VERY slow on defense, and getting up and down the court.  If he is ever able to carve out a role in the NBA, it'll be somewhat like Boban.  I can't imagine him being very effective in more than 4-5 minute stints.

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 11:29:57 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
I agree that Tacko in the NBA is a longshot of sorts. I, being a lunatic have, in fact, watched the Red Claw's games.

This is what i have seen beyond Waters being a very able point guard whom will be fine in the NBA.

Tacko is better now than he was at UCF. By the way? Tacko was good at UCF and played every game for four years, so he isn't some oddity. UCF won a ton of games with him starting at center.

Yes, at 7'6" and 300 pounds he moves differently from other human beings, one of those things I guess.

Tacko watches the floor from his mountaintop and of late, has shown some commitment to the action. Not every play. He is no Javonte Green, but, Tacko is getting better. He is decisive with the ball. His feet on the floor make pretty good sense and his positioning is around a C+ which is better that the C- or D we have been seeing. He still occasionally skips running up the court with his team, but, he is 7'6" 300 pounds and I don't know how that feels.

They put him on short rotations and it seems to work. His passes are good, although rarely does he have the ball in a "non dunk" situation.

Now here is an observation which may be just jive on my part, but, I think it is legit.

The kids feel different with Tacko on the post on offense. The passing dynamics are different, not sure if stats confirm this or not.

On defense, the opposing team's dynamics are different. Perhaps the kids have never played against Tacko and they haven't adjusted yet, but, when they scan the Red Claw's defense for a point of attack? There's this giant guy standing there and what the heck, he's kind of in the way.

Finally, I suggest the team gains confidence with Tacko. He's kind of a living totem. "We will be victorious because we have the tallest guy in a game that is about height."

All that aside, in the NBA I would like to see how he deals with Vucevic, Drummond et al. I don't mean to say he would be a great starting center, but, would he be a good "third center" and thus, be out there once in awhile for us to cheer for him.   

You watched all the Red Claws games? Did you have to subscribe to NBA TV to see them?

I only saw one game scheduled on Comcast's NBC Sports Boston. I would like to see more. Do you (or anyone else) know if they are on another cable channel? 

I agree the team (usually) plays better when he's on the court. This was obvious in the Summer League and preseason as well. He seems to act as an unspoken catalyst. Others around him magically pick up their game.

All the Red Claws games stream for free online.

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 12:32:33 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

All the Red Claws games stream for free .
Thanks for the info...

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 09:07:34 AM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
Fall is never going to be more than a situational guy, but he definitely looks like he is moving better.

Wouldn't that be great if he were an effective situational guy?  Change of pace, late game rebounds, middle-clogger, out of bounds shield.  As a situational player, he could be a pretty valuable bench guy and become a very wealthy man.  I hope it works out for him.  He also can put the star atop the x-mas tree. But I know he's a lot more than just a very tall guy -- very smart and personable, I hope he gets to wherever he wants to be.

This is what I'm hoping he becomes.

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 09:32:10 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If Fall can get back on the break better so that we don't get killed on transitional baskets (this happened a lot in his last Red Claws game), he could really help us. 

In single substitution, he transforms us from a small ball, switch team, to the guy with the monster in the box. 

Guys like Javale McGee, Anthony Davis, Dwight Howard, and Lebron, monsters vs our small ball lineup, suddenly become puny punks against our 7'6" beast. 

He becomes our body guard against their bullies.

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 09:44:22 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Many also forget this is his 7th year playing basketball (started at 16) which makes this his 7th year in the sport. Yes, he is super tall but he is getting better. Hard for us to know what his ceiling truly is when he is many years behind other players at that age. I am optimistic with him. Time will tell.

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 12:34:24 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
So it's a good thing that Tacko looks better against vastly inferior competition but that's the bare minimum for a guy that wants to play in the NBA.  I remember how good (and even fluid) Ante Zizic looked in his highlight videos from Europe.  But once I saw him in the NBA, he looked like a complete stiff.

Not saying Tacko won't or can't make it but the odds are stacked against him, especially considering how the game has changed.

If Zizic was 7'6" he'd be playing a big role somewhere. Size matters. Tacko is huge. he effects the court whenever he's on the floor. His floor is situational player with spot minutes in certain situations. If he was on the floor at the end of the game last night to just get a rebound that would be a good use of his talent. If Tacko can become a passable freethrow shooter then he will get NBA minutes at some point.
No he wouldn't. Boban Marjanovic is 7'4" and is barely getting playing time in Dallas.

The only way you are going to get significant playing time at that size in today's NBA is if you are an absolute freak athlete like Kristaps Porzingis.

Yes, Tacko affects the game because of his size, but, like Boban, he is also a huge detriment because teams will just attack him in pick-and-rolls all game.

I love Tacko. He's a great kid and I'm obviously rooting for him, but I would be very, very surprised if he becomes anything more than a situational big who can play spot minutes. This isn't 1999.

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 12:43:25 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

If Zizic was 7'6" he'd be playing a big role somewhere. Size matters. Tacko is huge. he effects the court whenever he's on the floor. His floor is situational player with spot minutes in certain situations. If he was on the floor at the end of the game last night to just get a rebound that would be a good use of his talent. If Tacko can become a passable freethrow shooter then he will get NBA minutes at some point.
No he wouldn't. Boban Marjanovic is 7'4" and is barely getting playing time in Dallas.

The only way you are going to get significant playing time at that size in today's NBA is if you are an absolute freak athlete like Kristaps Porzingis.

Yes, Tacko affects the game because of his size, but, like Boban, he is also a huge detriment because teams will just attack him in pick-and-rolls all game.

I love Tacko. He's a great kid and I'm obviously rooting for him, but I would be very, very surprised if he becomes anything more than a situational big who can play spot minutes. This isn't 1999.

I swear I just watched a game where Boban started for the Mavs.  Not sure if it was the Celtics game or not.  But it seems like Boban is playing a decent amount and pretty well actually.  Maybe I just notice him every time he is on the court because he stands out.

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2019, 01:25:33 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I swear I just watched a game where Boban started for the Mavs.  Not sure if it was the Celtics game or not.  But it seems like Boban is playing a decent amount and pretty well actually.  Maybe I just notice him every time he is on the court because he stands out.

Boban started against Memphis in their game just before they played us.  He's played in 5 of their last 8 games and is averaging 11 mpg.  His per 36 production has been very good (21/15), but he's been used very selectively by Carlysle.

He's a very different type of player from Fall.   Much better shooter.  Much worse defender.   Not as mobile and not quite the same easy tower-over-everyone "oop" target that Tacko is.   So more likely to take short jumpers from 8 feet out compared to the dunk & layup fest that Fall presents.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2019, 02:06:06 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

this season so far he is averaged 12 minutes, 7 points, and 5 rebounds. not bad.

interestingly, he averages only 0.2 blocks a game this season and 0.4 for his career.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva