Poll

Would you sign Kemba Walker to the max (4/140M; 32.7M 1st Year)

Yes
80 (66.1%)
No
41 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Kemba Walker (Kemba to formalize agreement on Sunday, pg 40)  (Read 76574 times)

Re: How would you feel about the C’s going after Kemba?
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2019, 03:23:07 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Not sure if this is even possible, but could we sign and trade any one of our pending free agents for a trade exception, then after we sign Walker use that trade exception to go after a big guy in a trade?

Charlotte would get the tpe, not us.

We would need charlotte to wamt hayward as opposed to nothing at all and have that be the deal

I think you misunderstood.  For example sign and trade Rozier to the Suns and get a 15 mil trade exception in return.  After we sign Walker use that tp later on in another trade to acquire a big guy.  I’m not sure if that falls within the league’s cap rules.

yeah I did misunderstand,  but with a 15 mill TPE we would not have the capspace to sign Kemba, we would need to renounce that TPE to free the space.

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2019, 03:23:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If you sign Kemba you have to have a lot of faith that he can be a better leader and give the Jays more room. I've never heard a bad thing about Kemba in Charlotte, but I'm not super plugged into news around the Hornets either.

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2019, 03:31:23 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Not sure if this is even possible, but could we sign and trade any one of our pending free agents for a trade exception, then after we sign Walker use that trade exception to go after a big guy in a trade?

Charlotte would get the tpe, not us.

We would need charlotte to wamt hayward as opposed to nothing at all and have that be the deal

I think you misunderstood.  For example sign and trade Rozier to the Suns and get a 15 mil trade exception in return.  After we sign Walker use that tp later on in another trade to acquire a big guy.  I’m not sure if that falls within the league’s cap rules.

yeah I did misunderstand,  but with a 15 mill TPE we would not have the capspace to sign Kemba, we would need to renounce that TPE to free the space.

Gotcha.  I wasn’t sure if a TPE counts as a cap hold too.

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2019, 03:33:00 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'd love Kemba in Boston. Bringing him in is the best possible scenario for this offseason. In the NBA four nickels does not equal a quarter and Kemba is really the only player mentioned as a possibility for the Celtics with their cap space.

The league is getting more perimeter oriented every year and having a live ball scorer that is a threat to pull up from anywhere really draws the defense out and helps everyone else on that end.

Kemba's best teammate in Charlotte has been Nicholas Batum, the Celtics have 3 or 4 players better than Batum right now. Brad Stevens has got Kyrie and IT before him to have their best statistical seasons. With better teammates and a coach who gets the best out of his pg Kemba would probably exceed his production last year for the Celtics.

It would really hurt to have to fill out the big man rotation with room MLE and vet min big men, but big men are becoming less and less important in the modern game. Traditional centers are less likely to close games than 4/5 hybrids today. If we can get Kemba, and fill out the roster with whatever is left over in the big man market I think we probably win 50+ games (i.e. be better than last year).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
2 years older than Kyrie.

Put up 20.5 shots a game, 2 more than Kyrie.

Just don’t think he’d facilitate growth of 2 Js.

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2019, 03:37:54 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
He's great, but pass.

I'd rather run with Plan J than have Kemba and maybe hinder their development.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2019, 03:38:19 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I love Kemba but as others mentioned he doesn’t fll a need with our available cap space. We’d absolutely be crushed with bigs

I'd only do it if we could sign/trade Hayward for him.. but would Jordan do it? I have heard rumors early on that once Kemba made all-nba that Jordan had no interest in offering him the super max, so I do believe there is some legitimacy to him being available.

My ideal scenario as mentioned would trade Hayward for Kemba and sign Vucevic. I am no cap expert and assume this somehow would work.

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Vucevic

I am sure that leaves us no money to resign Brown or Tatum down the road though?

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2019, 03:41:19 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
perhaps i missed this in an earlier post, but here we are:

Two NBA sources confirm @TheSteinLine report that Celtics are seriously interested in @KembaWalker. I doubt the Hornets put this thing to bed pre-emptively when free-agency opens June 30. Plenty of suitors, and I assume Kemba will listen to all the pitches.
--Rick Bonnell, Charlotte Observer

https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell/status/1143600178689183744
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2019, 03:43:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I love Kemba but as others mentioned he doesn’t fll a need with our available cap space. We’d absolutely be crushed with bigs

I'd only do it if we could sign/trade Hayward for him.. but would Jordan do it? I have heard rumors early on that once Kemba made all-nba that Jordan had no interest in offering him the super max, so I do believe there is some legitimacy to him being available.

My ideal scenario as mentioned would trade Hayward for Kemba and sign Vucevic. I am no cap expert and assume this somehow would work.

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Vucevic

I am sure that leaves us no money to resign Brown or Tatum down the road though?

This would be a great team!

I thought for some reason however, when you do a sign and trade, you are hard-capped and can't make any other signings?

Or is that only if you are over the salary cap?

Because if so, that team you listed would be a really good one!

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2019, 03:44:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
2 years older than Kyrie.

Put up 20.5 shots a game, 2 more than Kyrie.

Just don’t think he’d facilitate growth of 2 Js.
Last year he took on a career high portion of the load trying to carry a struggling team to the playoffs.

I'd think he'd be able to step back into his career average usage/shots but who knows. I'm not for avoiding good offensive players to give Jayson/Jaylen the maximum shots and opportunities myself. But I can see the appeal after the discontent this season in Boston.

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2019, 03:48:24 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Again, no.  The money can be spent better elsewhere

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Or is that only if you are over the salary cap?
That is correct you only get hard capped at the apron if you are over the salary cap and receive a player in a sign and trade.

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2019, 03:51:34 PM »

Offline ObjectivityOverBias

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
The irony of some Celtic fans liking Kemba?

He is the poor-man's Kyrie; meaning he has all his flaws, but much worst.

Smaller=bigger liability on defense.
Not as good, meaning you get high volume iso, but with much less efficacy. Kemba shot 42% form the field over his career, and 35% from three. During Kemba's all-nba season, he shot 43% from the floor. Those would be down year numbers for Kyrie.

I think you all should pass on him and try to find bigs, which could have changed your season, if you had an adequate one.

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2019, 03:57:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

This isn’t true at all.

Kemba is a half-step below Kyrie on the court, but off the court Kemba is much more stable. He’s not a passive aggressive flake.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2019, 04:00:31 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

This isn’t true at all.

Kemba is a half-step below Kyrie on the court, but off the court Kemba is much more stable. He’s not a passive aggressive flake.

I think it's hard to compare the two.
Similar numbers IMO - Kemba's obviously being slightly worse but also had to carry the load on a terrible team for his entire career. Kyrie has been surrounded by arguably the best player of all time and a solid supporting cast in Boston.. at least solid enough where he couldn't be the sole focus to opposing defenses.

I think with help Kemba's numbers look much better.. and as others mentioned he doesnt appear to be a headcase. If we are going for character guys I think Kemba fits the mold. I think the less you hear about a player in that regard the better they are in the locker room.