Author Topic: Women's world cup  (Read 21699 times)

Re: Women's world cup
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 09:44:10 AM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
For all the endless complaining by the announcers, which was more a reaction as fans than as observers, none of those calls in that particular situation were bad calls. It was a penalty, it deserved a red card,  it was encroachment, and the cherry on top of the encroachment was that the woman who did it ended up with the rebound. A good ref is supposed to act precisely that way in that situation.

Whether it was a penalty or not is debatable. The defender was closer to the ball and got to it first, much of the contact was 50/50 and they were both holding each othe's uniforms.

Where there were legit complaints against refereeing were as follows:
- The woman who intentionally handed the ball at midfield should have gotten a 2nd yellow and sent off.

Did the handling break up an attack by Brazil? Intentionally handling the ball isn't necessarily a card.

If you look at the replays that they showed after the game from behind the goal, Marta has the defender beat, and the defender tries to kick the ball from behind marta and hits her foot as she was jumping.

And yes, the handball interrupted a counter attack. In fact, that is one area where the US's greater experience was clearly visible. The US stopped several counter attacks with simple fouls in mid field in ways that would not have warranted a yellow card (other than this handball, of course), which is the smart thing to do. The Brazilians let the play developed. If the Brazilians stop that last play in midfield, it's game over.

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 12:04:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
For all the endless complaining by the announcers, which was more a reaction as fans than as observers, none of those calls in that particular situation were bad calls. It was a penalty, it deserved a red card,  it was encroachment, and the cherry on top of the encroachment was that the woman who did it ended up with the rebound. A good ref is supposed to act precisely that way in that situation.

Whether it was a penalty or not is debatable. The defender was closer to the ball and got to it first, much of the contact was 50/50 and they were both holding each othe's uniforms.

Where there were legit complaints against refereeing were as follows:
- The woman who intentionally handed the ball at midfield should have gotten a 2nd yellow and sent off.

Did the handling break up an attack by Brazil? Intentionally handling the ball isn't necessarily a card.

If you look at the replays that they showed after the game from behind the goal, Marta has the defender beat, and the defender tries to kick the ball from behind marta and hits her foot as she was jumping.

Marta and the defender were both going for the ball, the defender got her foot in between Marta's foot and the ball and actually made contact with the ball before she hit Marta's foot. If she'd missed the ball and only caught Marta's foot and kept Marta from shooting then it's a definite foul. They're both kicking at the ball from different angles and the US player got to the ball first, not so definite.

And yes, the handball interrupted a counter attack. In fact, that is one area where the US's greater experience was clearly visible. The US stopped several counter attacks with simple fouls in mid field in ways that would not have warranted a yellow card (other than this handball, of course), which is the smart thing to do. The Brazilians let the play developed. If the Brazilians stop that last play in midfield, it's game over.

I wasn't watching closely at the time. I saw the foul but not what happened right before it. If it broke up a counter I'd agree with you.

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 01:58:17 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
Not that it matters, but here is a screen grab from after the little lob, but before either touched the ball again. Both are lifting their legs in this part trying to hit the ball again.

As you can see, Marta is ahead, and Buehler hits Marta's foot with her knee.

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 02:11:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Without knowing the angle that screengrab tells me nothing.

I don't have a huge problem with the PK, I think they let too much fouling and diving go in the box.

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 02:49:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Not that it matters, but here is a screen grab from after the little lob, but before either touched the ball again. Both are lifting their legs in this part trying to hit the ball again.

As you can see, Marta is ahead, and Buehler hits Marta's foot with her knee.

The ball is in front of Buehler. She's swinging her leg straight up to kick the ball, Marta's basically attempting a side volley and swinging her leg out sideways between Buehler and the ball.

Not saying you're wrong, but it's fairly arguable.

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 03:15:16 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The penalty itself is about as debatable as they come.  When I first watched it in live action on TV, I was sure that Buehler took Marta down.  Watching the replays, I wasn't so sure. 

I could live with the PK call, but still think that disallowing Solo's save was bogus.

If the decision to give Brazil another shot at the penalty kick was based on a US player entering the box early then the referee should have made that clear.  She did not.  Either that or Foudy and that guy who announces games with her are just morons and don't know how to call what's actually happening.   

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
The penalty itself is about as debatable as they come.  When I first watched it in live action on TV, I was sure that Buehler took Marta down.  Watching the replays, I wasn't so sure. 

I could live with the PK call, but still think that disallowing Solo's save was bogus.

If the decision to give Brazil another shot at the penalty kick was based on a US player entering the box early then the referee should have made that clear.  She did not.  Either that or Foudy and that guy who announces games with her are just morons and don't know how to call what's actually happening.   

They are probably morons, but in all fairness there's a lot of guessing by the announcers in soccer. Referees don't announce what infraction that they called or who they called it on. Was the foul for the pk called because (as seen in the picture) Buehler's knee made contact with Marta's foot? Was it earlier due to a jersey grab? Was it later when Buehler's foot was between Marta's and the ball? One can only guess, and even then the cameras and/or announcers don't have the referee's view of the play.

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 04:50:05 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
If you are going to slide tackle from behind in the box it had better be spotlessly clean-- I believe the PK was the right call.  The retake is bizarre, marginal and probably wrong.  In the end the US's organization, conditioning and deeper squad brought the victory, although shootouts never seem fair no matter which side of them you are on.   Marta is one amazing player though.   and just a little brag here I have 2 daughters who played high level club and D-1 soccer -- over the years played against 3 of the US women--players who even at the highest club and college level standout and whose names you take note of and don't forget.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 05:20:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Wow.  Of all the ways for this to end, I wasn't expecting the U.S. to choke.  Tough loss.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 05:24:35 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
The better team won in penalty kicks.  The USA had some serious mental lapses and breakdowns.  You could tell they thought they had won it each time that they took the lead, and they just didn't defend well at all.  Hope Solo really looked like she was done in overtime.  Only a couple players on the US looked like they kept their composure after Japan equalized it.

Those penalty kicks were awful, too.  The player who kicked it well over the goal should be really embarrassed.  The only decent penalty kick from the US was from Wambach.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 05:37:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Wow.  Of all the ways for this to end, I wasn't expecting the U.S. to choke.  Tough loss.

Their defenders played like they were doing shots of Nyquil before the game.

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »

Offline samantha28

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 156
I completely agree with the people here. Japan was the better team (Wambach is superb though). I of course wanted the U.S. to win, but this definitely was a morale-booster for the Japanese (who've had a rough year).

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2011, 05:49:05 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
  Actually, with all the trouble Japan has been through this year, it is nice that they have a sweet highlight now.  They deserved the win...came  from behind, never accepted defeat...never gave up.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2011, 07:01:07 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Great win for Japan for all the right reasons.
Tough for the US, but it was an exciting run.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2011, 07:48:15 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Great win for Japan for all the right reasons.
Tough for the US, but it was an exciting run.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!