Author Topic: I will never look at Greg Dickerson the same now  (Read 19060 times)

Re: I will never look at Greg Dickerson the same now
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 08:28:21 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The only good thing about soccer are when the best plays make the top ten on sportscenter. Nothing like a crazy good soccer highlight to round out the list. [dang] they are good sometimes.

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 08:42:26 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
And I hate baseball...

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 08:45:36 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
And I hate baseball...

Oh i love baseball lol
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 10:41:43 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
We turned Bill Simmons into liking soccer, so there's also hope for the rest of you.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100701
Good article.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 12:30:45 AM »

Offline Mad Hatter

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 75
I love Greg Dickerson, but tonight on Mohegan Suns Sports Tonight Dickerson said he hates soccer.

I will never look at him the same now.

i hate soccer too.

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 12:40:22 AM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
The thing about soccer is that there's very little action. There's about 5 shots on goal total the whole game.

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 12:50:39 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
don’t hate soccer, but i think it’s super boring. I definitely hate the World Cup though. The way people who know nothing about the sport jump on this is disgusting.

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 01:14:49 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Soccer similar movement to basketball except passing and shooting are much more difficult.  Also note that everyone can have a power game, little kids, girls, not just the bigs. Reason for rise is more kids now play soccer than baseball.

Baseball so boring to play 3 hours to have 3 balls hit to you and 3 at bats.  the only game where you get out of shape playing it.  Meant as a pass time on summer nights when it is too hot to move around much.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:20:22 AM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 01:30:02 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Played baseball, basketball, and football growing up, but I've gravitated away from baseball.

Soccer is very interesting for me to watch. I watched the last world cup, watched some stuff in between, and now the current world cup has me wanting to pick up a Premiership team to follow. Will be tough to do, but I'm sure there are some across the sea Cbloggers that could give some good tips. ;)

As for Dickerson: he's a good dude. I bet he'd take to it if he went into watching the game with an open mind. I've found that a lot of people I know enjoy bashing the world cup/soccer just to go against the grain and go for cheap laughs/arguments.

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 01:35:12 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I've never understood why people that love baseball say they hate soccer. Granted, I haven't watched a whole lot of baseball games (watched maybe a handful), but I'd say soccer is more action-packed. Of course there can be boring games, but you get boring games in every sport.

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 02:31:53 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Ok.. lets end this discussion the right way fellas, comming from the danes we know a borring sport when we see one since we have been showing the tour de france on the telly since the 1990's.

Pro Cycling is about the most borring arse sport you can find on any side of the planet, watching grown men in pain for 7 hours while the country side goes by.. i still to this day cant understand is being called a sport

/thread
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 03:00:49 AM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
Firstly, football (soccer to most here) is a frighteningly boring sport.  I would rather have my eyeballs boiled in vinegar than watch a regular league match. People over this side of the Atlantic look at me as if I have 4 heads when I say I don't watch "the football"

Secondly, I did not know that we could say "arse" here and get away with it! .... Arse!
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 03:48:46 AM »

Kiorrik

Ugh. I'm not big on soccer either... unless the Dutch are doing well... and they are!

*waves an orange flag*

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 03:56:24 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Well, I guess I'm the "odd duck" here, cuz I love basketbal, baseball, football, soccer, tennis, racquet ball, volleyball, golf, snow skiing, water skiing, track, mountain biking, kayaking, lacrosse, swimming, and yes, even cycling, (and I can tell you from personal experience, having done all these myself, that cycling is as physically demanding as almost any other sport I've participated in).

When it comes to sports, there's very little that I don't enjoy, either watching or playing, and it's been that way most of my life. The one thing I don't enjoy, and honestly can't figure out how it's classified as such, is Professional "Wrestling", but that's just a personal preference thing.

Like everyone else, I have my favorites, but it also doesn't bother me if someone else doesn't like a sport that I do ... we're all different, and we all enjoy what we enjoy, for whatever reasons. I see fans of pro wrestling going crazy and just can't understand it, because it's all just a show to me ... but so what? I may not agree, but I can still see how the action could be entertaining to others.

Getting into arguments about which sport is best, is to me just a waste of time ... people like what they like, (and the reasons may be completely unclear), and no amount of discussion is going to change their mind, or mine. But just because you may not like a certain sport, or question it's definition, doesn't mean it's not that to others.

Sports can be a very personal thing, too, and you have to keep in mind that telling someone who loves a particular sport and works very hard at it, that it's not what you define as "sport", or it's boring, or it's a waste of time, may be taken very personally, and may be taken as a slight against them. Just something to keep in mind.

I have discovered over the years, however, that very often when someone doesn't like a certain sport, it's because they haven't had much exposure to it, or had a bad experience with it somehow, or they haven't tried it themselves. I was very lucky in that I was raised to always try things myself before I made a decision about whether or not I liked it, (and this was not just pertaining to sports), and so to this day I try to keep an open mind, (notice I said try).

So since that time if I was ever offered the opportunity to try something, I did, and I found that many of the sports that I would have written off as "boring" or stupid or just not for me, were in fact a heckuvalot of fun when I actually gave them a chance. I obviously have my favorites, but there is usually something enjoyable to be found in most every sport there is.

There are some "sports" that I would personally opt to put in the category of "Games", like bowling, darts, table tennis, pool, billiards, etc., and I would separate motorsports into a different category as well. But even most of those require a certain level of fitness, (some obviously much less than others), and I've found there is something enjoyable to be gleaned from almost all of them.

We are all individuals, and our likes and dislikes are part of what define us as unique human beings, but I think it's important to not brush others off simply because they like something we don't ... especially if we haven't really given it a chance ourselves. But even so, they're just as entitled to their preferences as we are, and discussing those differences should be something that unifies us as lovers of sports, not something that divides us as people, IMHO.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:03:27 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 04:55:08 AM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
Well said Bahku! TP.

We are all individuals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVygqjyS4CA

Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.