Author Topic: Instant replay in soccer  (Read 11368 times)

Instant replay in soccer
« on: June 22, 2010, 02:54:47 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I was reading the ESPN article about instant replay in World Cup soccer and imagining how horrific that would be. Imagine all the stoppages. I suppose they could have some challenge system like in the NFL.

Of course, any such system is very limited since they need to be limited to stoppages of play, of which there are plenty in the NFL. From what I see, the only substantial stoppages in soccer are halftime and after goals are scored. I suppose they could allow challenges when you team has a corner kick or is throwing the ball in, or when the goalie is holding the ball.

One big problem is if time passes after the missed call, how do you roll back time?

I wonder if certain sports can ever recover from the number of camera angles currently available. There will always be plenty of poor calls in every human refereed sport that fans unhappy with outcomes can fixate on. Some are directly relevant, like the goal the US didn't get. Others invite speculation of what could have been.

In the end, humans are calling these games and you have to make a choice between allowing faulty human judgments, or fundamentally disrupting the game.

Re: Instant replay in soccer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 03:14:48 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
I think it can be done in really questionable and important plays in which there's a stop anyway. Like red cards, which is a problem in this WC (too many undeserved), the players arguing the call for a a minute or two anyway. On the other hand if there will be an instant replay after every other offside call, it will slow the game.

In tennis you have 3 challenges per set and that system is a success despite eary reservations. So maybe there can be 3 challenges per half and the coach will decide when to use them.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 10:43:12 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
After seeing the awful call in the Ger/Eng match they could easily use it just for determining if a goal is scored.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 10:48:38 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
First they should the assistant ref home. If he can`t make thenright call to such an easy and clear case then he doesn`t belong there

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 10:53:09 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
After seeing the awful call in the Ger/Eng match they could easily use it just for determining if a goal is scored.

I think that's about the only place it could be used, but you don't even need replay for that. They can put chips in the ball that determine whether the ball is across the line or not.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 10:54:14 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Utterly ridiculous that they can't review a should-be goal like that.

Get with the 21st Century, FIFA.  The techology is there.  This is the World Cup. The pinnacle of world soccer.  All the eyes of the world are on your sport and you trot out the opporutunity for stupidity like that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 10:54:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I think that's about the only place it could be used, but you don't even need replay for that. They can put chips in the ball that determine whether the ball is across the line or not.
True enough.

Its ridiculous that they don't do just that for the World Cup.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 10:54:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Get with the 21st Century, FIFA.  The techology is there.  This is the World Cup. The pinnacle of world soccer.  All the eyes of the world are on your sport and you trot out the opporutunity for stupidity like that.
They'd rather waste everyone's time and money by creating a new ball every four years, without bothering to test its flight stability.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 10:59:40 AM »

Offline pbak63

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
You cannot blame the assistant referee.

He was in line with the penultimate defender - that's where he should be.

I've watched football for 40 years, and these incidents happen.

Personally, I'm against technology as it would slow the flow of the game down.

I believe FIFA or UEFA have tried chips in the ball and it wasn't a success
but I'll happily try any potential improvement.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

He was in proper position, he should still be able to make an easy call.

I doubt FIFA actually tried out the goal chips with an honest trial. They're the same organization that claimed nothing was different with the new world cup ball.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 11:09:44 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

They'd rather waste everyone's time and money by creating a new ball every four years, without bothering to test its flight stability.

Yeah, can't quite understand that one.  Isn't like introducing a new basketball to be used at the NBA Finals?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 11:23:48 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Yeah, can't quite understand that one.  Isn't like introducing a new basketball to be used at the NBA Finals?

They come out with new balls all the time, kind of like golf. League switch balls from year to year. There were similar complaints before the last world cup. And I'm pretty sure that they did use the ball in some competition before the world cup.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 11:32:31 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I'm sure Ireland would find this a good idea. I wouldn't go against it, as there is already extra time added for injuries, substitutions and so on. It would be in the best interest of all teams, too. It won't happen, though, not with a governing body like FIFA.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

I don`t like the ideas about chips and cameras either. Mistakes are part of football. So is taking the blame.

It`s assistant`s job to check the lines not mine. If he can`t do it then he can retire and spent time fishing.! This was SOOOO EASY call !! The ball was half a meter behind the line. He saw that Defoe was offside (i`m not sure after 3-4 replays) but he didn`t see this ? Come on

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 12:04:06 PM »

Offline pbak63

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
It`s assistant`s job to check the lines not mine. If he can`t do it then he can retire and spent time fishing.! This was SOOOO EASY call !! The ball was half a meter behind the line. He saw that Defoe was offside (i`m not sure after 3-4 replays) but he didn`t see this ? Come on

He has to make a split second decision - he got this one wrong, but that's life.

If you thought that decision was bad, check this one out.
I was at this game and was astounded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0YiuSbBdaQ