Author Topic: Thierry Henry to MLS?  (Read 11600 times)

Thierry Henry to MLS?
« on: May 17, 2010, 03:17:45 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
It's been linked for a long time, but according to SI/Boston Globe, Henry will be joining the Red Bulls after the world cup.  Though he didn't do much for Barcelona this year, I still think he'll be the best player in the MLS.  He may show us a goal scoring ability which has not been shown in the MLS as of yet.  It should be pretty interesting to see if this raises the MLS' stock over here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=5194974
do it

Re: Thierry Henry to MLS?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 03:25:42 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Henry is denying this.

As reported by AS, Barcelona's Thierry Henry has rejected claims that he has reached a pre-contractual agreement with United States MLS team New York Red Bulls as had been reported last week.

The Frenchman has declared that his future plans are limited to this summer's World Cup in South Africa and that there is nothing substantive in the reports tying him to America.

"For the moment, nothing is certain. I am a Barcelona player and have another year left on my contract", said 'Titi'.

"Currently, my only worry is preparing for the World Cup with France. I will have time to reflect on my future later".

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2010/05/17/1929319/barcelonas-thierry-henry-denies-agreement-with-new-york-red

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 03:43:29 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

A lot of Euros look into playing in the US, then figure out they aren't getting Beckham-like contracts. That usually ends their interest.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 06:08:21 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
He has a choice to make. Henry can still play in a mediocre european club or he can be a star in MLS and earn pretty bigs sums.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 06:13:53 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

A lot of Euros look into playing in the US, then figure out they aren't getting Beckham-like contracts. That usually ends their interest.

Becks brings a whole different type of star power to the MLE - he's really paid for his brand & name as opposed to pure talent.

But Henry is interesting - I think NY will fork over a nice amount to bring him in. I think LA and NY would be the only clubs that would give him the type of contract he'd be seeking to play in the US and LA already has a DP in Beckham.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 06:15:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
He has a choice to make. Henry can still play in a mediocre european club or he can be a star in MLS and earn pretty bigs sums.
It's a pity Henry won't return to England and play for a non-Arsenal team because I think he would be terrific in Liverpool. Also, very dangerous for Man Utd.

It's hard to see him wanting to play in Serie A either and moving from Barca to anyone else in Spain (outside of Madrid who likely aren't interested in giving him regular games) is a big step down.

His choices to limit his options in European football ... I think that makes MLS the best choice. It would be more interesting to play there.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 06:25:32 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I'd be shocked if this happened, every year there are names that are "definitely" coming to the MLS, Zidan, Ronaldo, Figo, even Ronaldinho to name a few, and aside for Beckham, none have panned out.

If it were to happen, Henry would immediately be the best player ever in MLS, I just don't see it happening.

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 06:30:06 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
It's a pity Henry won't return to England and play for a non-Arsenal team because I think he would be terrific in Liverpool. Also, very dangerous for Man Utd.

It's hard to see him wanting to play in Serie A either and moving from Barca to anyone else in Spain (outside of Madrid who likely aren't interested in giving him regular games) is a big step down.

His choices to limit his options in European football ... I think that makes MLS the best choice. It would be more interesting to play there.
He's on a big decline, and you could clearly see that this season. He can't play for a big team like those that you mentioned.

He can go to teams that are not the top of the top but close to that. Let's say Sevilla or Aston Villa. But on those team he won't make as much as in MLS. And if I'm not mistaken, he had a nasty divorce, so he needes money.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 07:30:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

He's on a big decline, and you could clearly see that this season. He can't play for a big team like those that you mentioned.

He can go to teams that are not the top of the top but close to that. Let's say Sevilla or Aston Villa. But on those team he won't make as much as in MLS. And if I'm not mistaken, he had a nasty divorce, so he needes money.
I don't think Henry is capable of being a star player anymore but as then 9th or 10th best player on the pitch for a top team I think he can still give a good day's work. Where he can play off of superior players. Use his smarts and techniques to take advantage of their talents.

I think Henry can still help a title contender in a role like that.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 09:26:54 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes

I don't think Henry is capable of being a star player anymore but as then 9th or 10th best player on the pitch for a top team I think he can still give a good day's work. Where he can play off of superior players. Use his smarts and techniques to take advantage of their talents.

I think Henry can still help a title contender in a role like that.
The question is whether he's is willing to be 3d or 4th striker on a top team (meaning coming from the bench), or to be primary striker on a lesser team. Players of his age usually don't like to sit on on the bech for too long. This year in Barca Henry was meaningless, and almost completely forgotten in the second half of the season. If I was him, I would go to mid table team in EPL. He has a good track record in England, and that's the best league to be if you ask me.
The Immortals:

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 09:55:05 AM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
An interesting turn of events, West Ham apparently wants him now.

West Ham United's David Sullivan is bidding to make Barcelona's Thierry Henry the club's highest paid player ever.

Hammers’ joint chairman Sullivan is openly courting the former Arsenal hot shot with a lucrative deal worth around £75,000 a week over two years.

"We're trying to assemble a more prolific strikeforce at West Ham and I'd love to have Henry here,” Sullivan told The Sun.

“Our club is in debt but a striker of his quality and standing would make it a great deal. Henry is still up there with the best.

“I've made an offer which would make him the highest-paid player in the club's history. And it's a serious offer because Henry could walk into almost any Premier League side.”

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2010/05/22/1936909/west-ham-united-plot-shock-75000-a-week-move-for-thierry

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 01:34:10 AM »

Offline rjsuperfly66

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 1
The lack of American interest in MLS killing the potential growth of the league.  USA as a country could appeal to these foreign European players, but the teams around the country can't afford to pay them to play like European Clubs can.  In the end, why would they want to play for majority mediocre contracts in front of half-full stadiums?

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 12:31:24 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
The lack of American interest in MLS killing the potential growth of the league.  USA as a country could appeal to these foreign European players, but the teams around the country can't afford to pay them to play like European Clubs can.  In the end, why would they want to play for majority mediocre contracts in front of half-full stadiums?

Somewhat innacurate. Seattle, LA Galaxy, Philadelphia, Chicago and Toronto are doing very well.  One of the weakest teams in terms of interest is right here - the Revolution.

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 12:44:49 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

Somewhat innacurate. Seattle, LA Galaxy, Philadelphia, Chicago and Toronto are doing very well.  One of the weakest teams in terms of interest is right here - the Revolution.

I think the main issue with the Revolution though is their location.  People will drive to Gillette to see the Pats not only just because they love football, but because it's a status thing.  There's no status involved with the Revolution.  If the Revs would come to the city, I think their popularity would grow quite a bit.  It doesn't even have to be Boston.  Bring them to Somerville, Cambridge, anywhere where public transportation is better.  Soccer is an international game and a very diverse game.  If you bring it a diverse city like that Somerville, I think more people would be willing to attend the games.  The other thing the Revolution need to do is give die hard soccer fans a reason to watch.  Seattle did a goob job with this I thought.  They went out and got Freddie Ljungberg and Kasey Keller.  Both names that a lot of soccer fans know.  The Revs need to get a name like this.  It doesn't have to be Beckham or Henry, just a name that played in a big time league.
do it

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 04:13:57 PM »

Offline rjsuperfly66

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 1

It doesn't have to be Beckham or Henry, just a name that played in a big time league.

I was very disappointed to see last year, when I went to the Revs/Galaxy game, that although their were a decent amount of people there, place was still a little over half empty.

One thing I would suggest is for them to lower ticket prices.  A casual fan does not want to pay $30 (what I paid last year), to sit 15 rows up in a corner.  The seats were nice when the action was down there, but no way I would pay $30 a few times a year to go see them.  For the Revs, you should be able to get decent seats for $10-$15.  I think attendance would go up, interest would go up, and in the end, revenue would probably go up slightly.