Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 113651 times)

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Somebody: I didn't say it was my comparison, but in the local press it is the most proposed (I think due to height, passing and ball handling). My opinion about him is very high, but incomplete.

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXx9lUNp894

I'll pass no better than this one, Yup! I know 2  inches smaller, but still, he's on the bench, tihs euro will never be like Jamal, not even in his dreams!!

Don't take this the wrong way, but is your contribution to the conversation a video with YouTube highlights?

I'm all for listening why you think we should pass on Doncic, but give us some arguments to discuss.
Well I guess this thread was started by a video of someone making a move that Jamal did when he was 5 years old, don't get me wrong, my opinion is solely based of what I saw from the videos, in the end I'm not impressed, that's it.

did he do it against established players? cauae doncic plays against the best non nba teams in the world. the level of his opponents should matter ....

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2017, 10:09:30 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
What a thread!

saltlover, Androslav, hwangjini all here

I cannot stress enough how cheeky this 17 yo is. I love it!

And here is an article from The Vertical. Nothing new really, but a nice, brief summary.

I'm thinking of changing my handle to Donciclover.
Hee, hee. Very cute, but what if the lakers draft him? :o then you have to change again.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 02:12:21 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 02:19:58 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
i would not go that far. imho he is the best 17yo player i can remember in the last 20y in europe.

besides it is a bit unfair... US players at 17 don't have the option to play in such a high level

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2017, 02:36:51 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
i would not go that far. imho he is the best 17yo player i can remember in the last 20y in europe.

besides it is a bit unfair... US players at 17 don't have the option to play in such a high level

It's an interesting conversation.

Can you imagine if the Celtics got the next truly great player with any one of these Nets picks?

I might just lose it.

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2017, 02:52:08 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
ayton bamba doncic porter carter probably bolden allen and more........ 2018 nets pick ....

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2017, 02:54:26 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
https://www.google.com/amp/s/deanondraft.com/2017/02/03/is-luka-doncic-the-best-prospect-ever/amp/?client=safari

Could he be the best prospect ever?
analysis is really flawed.

He pretty much writes that Steph Curry is MVP because he is extraordinarily skilled despite not being athletic thus skill is as valuable as athleticism. Doncic is obviously really really skilled, but the difference between Doncic's blanket high level skill and Stephs high level skill is that Steph had a single transcendent skill, shooting. He is the greatest to ever do it. He then developed a truly elite skill in his ball-handling.

Doncic seems really well rounded and can develop many elite skill akin to Stephs handle. He is also a good athlete. Problem is, in order to be the best ever, you need to be able to do something better than anyone else can.

Lebron is the greatest athlete in the NBA combined with an elite BBIQ.
Steph is the greatest shooter ever combined with an elite handle
Durant is the most dominant scorer in then NBA
Derrick Rose didnt deserve his MVP
Kobe was the greatest scorer in the NBA combined with elite athleticism
Steve Nash was the best passer in the league combined with elite shooting.
Dirk was the best shooting big man ever.

so what can Doncic do that no one can stop him from doing. He seems like he will be able to be very good in [dang] near every area, but where is his superlative skill? what can he do that he will be unstoppable in doing?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2017, 05:56:23 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
https://www.google.com/amp/s/deanondraft.com/2017/02/03/is-luka-doncic-the-best-prospect-ever/amp/?client=safari

He pretty much writes that Steph Curry is MVP because he is extraordinarily skilled despite not being athletic thus skill is as valuable as athleticism. Doncic is obviously really really skilled, but the difference between Doncic's blanket high level skill and Stephs high level skill is that Steph had a single transcendent skill, shooting. He is the greatest to ever do it. He then developed a truly elite skill in his ball-handling.

Doncic seems really well rounded and can develop many elite skill akin to Stephs handle. He is also a good athlete. Problem is, in order to be the best ever, you need to be able to do something better than anyone else can.

so what can Doncic do that no one can stop him from doing. He seems like he will be able to be very good in [dang] near every area, but where is his superlative skill? what can he do that he will be unstoppable in doing?

Doncic will be very good in the superlative, he will be unstoppable in being very good.

Seriously now, you make some good points about the article. I also did not like that the author did not define precisely what he means by 'prospect' and 'best prospect' (btw, he defined 'ever' as the last 30 years). Sloppy argumentation.

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2017, 07:34:46 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I really like this kid.  I've posted about him before.  Here is a link to him playing against OKC this past October.

https://youtu.be/9sPxV4YGNa0

Say what you will about Euro league talent, but he's playing real NBA players in this clip. Sure it's not his best game but you can see the skills and it's 2 years before he will be able to play in the nba.  He can make an active roster now and given two years of development and conditioning he will be ready top play real minutes from day one.  He's going to be really good player but if he has a grownth spurt he'll be a monster.

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2017, 11:06:24 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

doncic is 17 years old. let's wait and see.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2017, 02:16:39 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think the top 3 of the draft will be very interesting. There is a case to be made that he could be the top pick. I have him 2 or 3rd depending on his athletic ability and Michael Porter Jr. not wanting to bend his knees on D. I flip flop on these two depending on the day it seems. I think both are behind and engaged Ayton. Ayton offers much more engaged than either prospect.

Anyways, will be looking to watch this kid more over the coming year.

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2017, 12:48:53 PM »

Offline detour

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • Jack of some trades
This time he clinched the game in Kazan, Russia with a step-through layup.

https://twitter.com/kiaenzona/status/829745040150794240

He finished with 5 points, 7 rebounds, 11 assists. 11 assist here in Europe mean something like 15 assists in NBA.

By the way I'm neither Real Madrid fan nor Slovenian but it impossible not to be impressed, so I'm here sharing info about him.

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This time he clinched the game in Kazan, Russia with a step-through layup.

https://twitter.com/kiaenzona/status/829745040150794240

He finished with 5 points, 7 rebounds, 11 assists. 11 assist here in Europe mean something like 15 assists in NBA.

By the way I'm neither Real Madrid fan nor Slovenian but it impossible not to be impressed, so I'm here sharing info about him.

11 assists is a ton.  European scorers have stricter requirements for assists than NBA scorers.  And in only 24 minutes of playing time -- every day I just want Doncic even more.

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2017, 01:54:07 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Yes, another huge game from Doncic. He's owned the game without having to score too much. TP Detour for reporting before. I don't like Real Madrid at all either (being polite in this  ;D), but it is very hard not to be excited about the kid's future.

So ahead of Porzingis in terms of upside at this age.