Author Topic: shot in the dark: anyone have their copy of NBA2k9 yet?  (Read 20768 times)

Re: shot in the dark: anyone have their copy of NBA2k9 yet?
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2008, 02:22:28 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
it is a loophole. you could do that in the real NBA, if the other 29 GM's were AI's and couldn't think logicaly. it's not prohibited under any NBA rule except common sense, which AI's don't have yet.

but, that aside, why would you do it if it makes you hate the game?

thats what im missing, you do this crazy min/max on your team which you know will make you dislike the results.

why not just do what i do and play the game like a real GM would instead of exploiing the AI if it makes you so mad?

like i said, i know i could screw the AI in multipl sports franchise games, but why do it if it ruins the game for you?

and thats the disconnect im havign with your argument that this is somehow a negitive on the game's franchise mode. I just don't accept that exploiting the AI this way, which most people probley wouldn't do because its no fun to have an unbeatable team every year, makes the game have a qoute, "pitiful franchise mode"

I just wish it was more realistic and challenging.  As much as you say the text based games fail just as much... they really don't.  Go play Draft Day Sports Pro Basketball.  If any person with average intelligence about running a team can easily create a 82-0 squad... it eliminates the entire point of the franchise mode.

i have that game, and while i doubt i can make a squad that would go 82-0 do to random chance, i did min/max the heck out of the shamrocks in one franchise and won 7 championships in a row. my top win total (i think, at work so can't check) was 78.

i quit that franchise and restarted, and in the new one i just play like an NBA GM and don't work the AI over. alot fewer championships, but alot more fun IMO.  :)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2008, 03:33:10 PM »

Offline dobbs

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 1
Just picked up the game, CB32 and whoever else, PM me with your gamertags if you wanna hook up and play sometime.

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2008, 03:38:09 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
does anyone else besides me have issues making free-throws online? I played with virtually every team and can't make free-throws with them and I'm wondering if its a glitch I have or is it a issue online?

Thanx
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2008, 03:42:45 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
does anyone else besides me have issues making free-throws online? I played with virtually every team and can't make free-throws with them and I'm wondering if its a glitch I have or is it a issue online?

Thanx

I have the same issue.  I was big into college hoops 2k8 and was around an 85% foul shooter in that game.  This game I'm somewhere around a 65% shooter at the line but when I play in dynasty mode I drill them like nothing.  Also I can't shoot the 3 ball at all online and that kills me. I'll be wide open and miss them but in dynasty I'll hit them all day like nothing.  Really annoyed by it too.   

« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2008, 03:55:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
other random issues I have with the game's franchise mode. 

-It has no trouble overdeveloping players like Durant and OJ Mayo.  Mayo was averaging 35 points... Durant averaged 40... but for some reason Game-generated rookies don't produce very effectively statistically.  Even a guy who has a 94 rating seems to put up stats of like 14-15 points, a couple rebounds and a couple assists.   ESPECIALLY big men.  I'm in the year 2017 and the only center in the entire league averaging over 14 points is Dwight Howard.  Even Greg Oden (even though he's a 99) is averaging average stats.  And a couple guys like a 7 foot 297 pound 95 rated center who was drafted #1 three years ago is only putting up 8 points and 8 rebounds.  Very strange.

-Assists.  Nobody in the league averages over 8 assists.  Same problem as above.

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
it is a loophole. you could do that in the real NBA, if the other 29 GM's were AI's and couldn't think logicaly. it's not prohibited under any NBA rule except common sense, which AI's don't have yet.

thats what im missing, you do this crazy min/max on your team which you know will make you dislike the results.

why not just do what i do and play the game like a real GM would instead of exploiing the AI if it makes you so mad?

like i said, i know i could screw the AI in multipl sports franchise games, but why do it if it ruins the game for you?

and thats the disconnect im havign with your argument that this is somehow a negitive on the game's franchise mode. I just don't accept that exploiting the AI this way, which most people probley wouldn't do because its no fun to have an unbeatable team every year, makes the game have a qoute, "pitiful franchise mode"

Exactly. You can eventually learn to exploit every single sports franchise game. It'll happen.

My way around that: Binky's.

You select players you really like. Young, old, doesn't matter. You stick with them. you pay the guys you want to, don't pay the ones you don't, and try never to have more than 2 first rd picks in any given draft.

My team (as best I can remember) in my mid 1st season franchise:

Louis Williams (was gonna turn him into something better but eventually, I learned playing with him is like playing with a young AI)/Sergio Rodri
Rudy Fernandez/Fransico Garcia/
Gerald Wallace/Trevor Ariza/Bill Walker
Al Jefferson/JJ Hickson/
Andres Biedrins/Perk/

NA: Glen Davis, Nick Fazekas

Almost all personal binky's. Al Jefferson averages 28 and 10 a night

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2008, 04:42:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Exactly. You can eventually learn to exploit every single sports franchise game. It'll happen.

My way around that: Binky's.

You select players you really like. Young, old, doesn't matter. You stick with them. you pay the guys you want to, don't pay the ones you don't, and try never to have more than 2 first rd picks in any given draft.

My team (as best I can remember) in my mid 1st season franchise:

Louis Williams (was gonna turn him into something better but eventually, I learned playing with him is like playing with a young AI)/Sergio Rodri
Rudy Fernandez/Fransico Garcia/
Gerald Wallace/Trevor Ariza/Bill Walker
Al Jefferson/JJ Hickson/
Andres Biedrins/Perk/

NA: Glen Davis, Nick Fazekas

Almost all personal binky's. Al Jefferson averages 28 and 10 a night

im rocking=

rondo
mcants
pierce
4th  pick because we were terrible my first year (simmed all but 2 games, fear the power of tomisvaltisch)
and dalembert.

i reached for rondo and mac so that i would have some building to do post draft :)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2008, 09:21:45 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
oh bro never depend on Rashard McCants. He's turrible. They made Rudy Fernandez into a kevin martin clone.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2008, 10:13:47 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
in real life, you betcha.

but in NBA2k9, he's suffering from the "im great in video games!!!" effect lol.

he's a ridiculous offenseive player in fantasy land.

« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2008, 11:30:26 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
HELP PLEASE!!! I got my PS2 online but the roster that it updated is only for online use...how can I use an updated roster for non-online gameplay? IF you have the answer, for PS2, please PM me the help. I would greatly appreciate it.

(I want Darius Miles on my team, as he was left out of the default roster, and Bill Walker/Giddens if possible)
Can't stop, Rondo!