Author Topic: shot in the dark: anyone have their copy of NBA2k9 yet?  (Read 20766 times)

shot in the dark: anyone have their copy of NBA2k9 yet?
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:27:15 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I'm getting mine later this afternoon, was wondering if anyone had it yet and had some first impressions/ changes from last year.

TP bribes for info!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 01:35:55 PM by Redz »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: shot in the dark: anyone have thier copy of NBA2k9 yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:38:41 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I got it, so far it hasn't dissapointed at all. Game and graphics are smoother than in the previous year (and I loved 2k8). I've only played a game so far, so I can't really go into too much detail past that I highly reccomend picking it up.

Also, Kevin Harland is back this year: I'm PRAYING that he says "With no regard for human life!" or "Right between the eyes" in this one. Color guy for some unknown reason is Clark Kellog I believe.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 11:44:28 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I got it, so far it hasn't dissapointed at all. Game and graphics are smoother than in the previous year (and I loved 2k8). I've only played a game so far, so I can't really go into too much detail past that I highly reccomend picking it up.

Also, Kevin Harland is back this year: I'm PRAYING that he says "With no regard for human life!" or "Right between the eyes" in this one. Color guy for some unknown reason is Clark Kellog I believe.

Please tell me they fixed the Lay-up issues from 2k8. It made it extremely hard to finish in traffic with anything other than a dunk. When it's like that it negates guys like Wade, Parker, Arenas, and other small players finishing abilities. It'll be a while till i get my copy. 

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 11:51:20 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
So far the biggest improvements I've seen is:

1. The game runs significantly smoother: it's a lot less herky jerky and runs real smooth

2. The AI is much, much smarter: lot less standing around on offense. Guys make logical cuts on double teams. (This was my major beef with 2k8. I thought a lot of times the CPU would have had easy dunks but for whatever reason stopped, or didn't cut at all.

3. Layups are not only improved, but actually a pretty cool part of the game. I'm playing with the Celtics right now and Ray Allen has a whole arsenal of smooth finishes around the hoop. Speaking of Ray; his three point shooting is MUCH improved this year, he's even good with his shot off the dribble.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 11:55:45 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

1. The game runs significantly smoother: it's a lot less herky jerky and runs real smooth

2. The AI is much, much smarter: lot less standing around on offense. Guys make logical cuts on double teams. (This was my major beef with 2k8. I thought a lot of times the CPU would have had easy dunks but for whatever reason stopped, or didn't cut at all.

3. Layups are not only improved, but actually a pretty cool part of the game. I'm playing with the Celtics right now and Ray Allen has a whole arsenal of smooth finishes around the hoop. Speaking of Ray; his three point shooting is MUCH improved this year, he's even good with his shot off the dribble.

good to hear, and more TP's coming next hour :D

how's the in-game presentation?

one of the only things i disliked last year was no stat overlays during FT's, no pregame/post game anylasis. Thought they could have done a much better job of presenting info during the game ala a TV broadcast.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 12:02:15 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41

This is making me even more anxious to play it. I can't wait.

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 12:05:24 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Highlights is the big update this year for in game presentation.

During "breaks" they'll show a highlight package (particularly if someone is hot) and at the end they do a pretty cool montage of all the best plays in the game after announcing the player of the game.

There's also the same post game features as last year; top 3 plays, signature highlights, hot zones, etc.

As far as statistics, I don't think it was really added (And I think I would've noticed because Dwight Howard just rocked me). During free throws you see a fairly limited player profile.

I just started the Association. And to my delight, THERE IS FINALLY A SERPENTINE FANTASY DRAFT.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 12:06:01 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

This is making me even more anxious to play it. I can't wait.

Ya, sorry for making everyone jealous. It's not very often that having Tuesdays off is worth it.

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 12:07:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
got it

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 12:16:40 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

During "breaks" they'll show a highlight package (particularly if someone is hot) and at the end they do a pretty cool montage of all the best plays in the game after announcing the player of the game.

There's also the same post game features as last year; top 3 plays, signature highlights, hot zones, etc.

As far as statistics, I don't think it was really added (And I think I would've noticed because Dwight Howard just rocked me). During free throws you see a fairly limited player profile.

I just started the Association. And to my delight, THERE IS FINALLY A SERPENTINE FANTASY DRAFT.

awesome on the serp, might have to fantasy draft. pierce and friends version 09.

also, with layups, i saw a bit of this in the trailer, can you confirm that they actually use the rim now on layups, like an up and under?

i hated that last year, if you have a guy chasing you, screw him with a up and under

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 12:19:39 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
i've noticed they use their body a lot and layups are much more natural, I've yet to notice them using the rim. However I will note that I'm only on my third game, and I haven't really been looking for it.

Just drafted my first team.

CP3 (who is a 99, much like many other players)
Rudy Fernandez
Al Thorton
Kevin Love
Sheed

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 12:24:57 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
i've noticed they use their body a lot and layups are much more natural, I've yet to notice them using the rim. However I will note that I'm only on my third game, and I haven't really been looking for it.

Rudy Fernandez
Al Thorton
Kevin Love
Sheed

Stickin with your boy 'Sheed till the very end, ey? haha

Got my copy on reserve at gamestop, i'll be picking it up on my way home from work.  Anyone else playing on 360? my gamertag is JzaJenius36 if anyone wants to ball.

p.s.
Is anyone gunna stick our celticsblog fantasy draft rosters into this game and simm a season? i'm dying to know how it would all turn out.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 12:27:47 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Rudy Fernandez
Al Thorton
Kevin Love
Sheed

Stickin with your boy 'Sheed till the very end, ey? haha

Got my copy on reserve at gamestop, i'll be picking it up on my way home from work.  Anyone else playing on 360? my gamertag is JzaJenius36 if anyone wants to ball.

p.s.
Is anyone gunna stick our celticsblog fantasy draft rosters into this game and simm a season? i'm dying to know how it would all turn out.

It's funny, I actually hate Rasheed Wallace but he's NASTY in video games.

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 12:31:02 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

awesome on the serp, might have to fantasy draft. pierce and friends version 09.

also, with layups, i saw a bit of this in the trailer, can you confirm that they actually use the rim now on layups, like an up and under?

i hated that last year, if you have a guy chasing you, screw him with a up and under

Follow Up: just had a guy (brandon rush?) use the rim on a base line pick and roll with an up and under.

BTW: Buy the game, its filthy.

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 01:28:07 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
if anyone gets bored, can they check if something from last year still works for me?

if you make created players, then save that roster and load it up before going to fantasy draft, do those players show up in franchise for drafting?

last year the procedure was

1. make players
2. put players on team
3. save as a new roster, make sure its the active one
4. do new franchise with fantasy draft.

(I do this goofy thing where i put me and a couple of my buddies who used to play in the game as promising rookies and see where they end up)

a quick test would be worth TP's :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 02:40:31 PM by crownsy »