Author Topic: NBA 2K9  (Read 12789 times)

Re: NBA 2K9
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 09:52:20 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
Breaking News: my jaw has just dropped all the way down to the floor, and my nervous system is now in a state of shock.

Game Spot Hands On Preview (September 17)

New Screen Shots (September 17)

Article/screens contain pictures of Association Mode (the new NBA.com feature is downright incredible) and a big new online feature called 2k Insider.

This is amazing; 20 days away, baby. I don't know how I'll hold up, now that I've seen all of this. Wow.

Best part of that article was seeing Al Jefferson as one of the "Biggest Movers" in Living rosters update thingy. 
Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 05:45:28 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Wow, this looks unreal. As soon as I buy my PS3, this is the first game I'll be getting.

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 08:25:11 AM »

Offline SportsCapNative

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
  • "No one Ever Really Dies"
this has to be the first 2k9 where the Celtics are # 1 ? ;D

Don't bank on it yet. KG may be the cover guy, but I'll have you know that 2k's headquarters are located in Cali.

Yea, don't be surprised if LA is ranked number 1 on 2K9. Remember in 06 when the Heat won, yet on 2K7 the Suns were still the highest rated team? (go figure that one out). I think there team ratings are just an estimation, average, or somehow largely influenced by player ratings (within that team). That would explain why often teams who weren't even in the finals could sometimes be ranked higher than teams that actually won.

The Sports Capital of America

New England Patriots \\\'01 \\\'03 \\\'04 - Boston Red Sox \\\'04 \\\'07 - Boston Celtics \\\'08

I love Tony Allen!

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 11:10:16 AM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
Breaking News: my jaw has just dropped all the way down to the floor, and my nervous system is now in a state of shock.

Game Spot Hands On Preview (September 17)

New Screen Shots (September 17)

Article/screens contain pictures of Association Mode (the new NBA.com feature is downright incredible) and a big new online feature called 2k Insider.

This is amazing; 20 days away, baby. I don't know how I'll hold up, now that I've seen all of this. Wow.

Best part of that article was seeing Al Jefferson as one of the "Biggest Movers" in Living rosters update thingy. 

I wonder if they will have Rondo's little fake-behind-the-back move???
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 11:16:53 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

Allen Iverson not concerned with his financial security? Hmmm, must be a bug...

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 11:33:18 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible

I disagree. Iverson is aging; he's not looking for a lucrative long-term deal. He wants to win.

Now, I'm not saying that he's going to take the mid-level, but at this stage of his career, winning is more important to him than a long-term deal. His career window is closing.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Could you imagine if AI signed with us next year as a backup PG when Cassell goes into coaching...(that is if we traded Pruitt in the "speculated Denver trade")
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 12:02:36 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

I disagree. Iverson is aging; he's not looking for a lucrative long-term deal. He wants to win.

Now, I'm not saying that he's going to take the mid-level, but at this stage of his career, winning is more important to him than a long-term deal. His career window is closing.

Pretty sure he was kidding.

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 12:16:56 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
The only thing that makes me nervous about both games is that as far as the player rankings go, it's probably my least of concerns. For the most part, there is generally only a handful of players whose rankings are significantly changed.

I just want to see consistent upgrade in overall game play.

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 12:31:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm always disappointed by the franchise modes in these games.  They can't compare to text based simulation games for PC.  It's always way too easy to take advantage of the AI to build a dynasty.  I don't even need to know the sport to build a dominant team.  Football, baseball, basketball, hockey... doesn't matter.  I'll easily find a way to fill my roster with all the best players in the league and win 15 championships in a row.

I decided to rent NHL2k8 even though I don't know ANYTHING about Hockey.  By my 3rd year I had the best player at EVERY position.  Way too easily.  Btw... I had to quit playing that game, because apparently when you're over the salary cap in that game you're able to re-sign your own players, but not give new contracts (even minimum contracts).   So what ended up happening was that my team was so ridiculously stacked with high paid talent that I wasn't able to give a contract to a rookie center on my minor league team.  The kid was like 20 years old and the highest ranked player in the game, but I couldn't give him even a minimum contract.  And also apparently I couldn't trade him, because he wasn't under contract...   so he was stuck on my minor league team for 3 years while my team won the Stanley Cup every year and eventually I felt bad for computer generated phenom and had to stop playing.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:39:47 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 12:35:47 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
I'm always disappointed by the franchise modes in these games.  They can't compare to text based simulation games for PC.  It's always way too easy to take advantage of the AI to build a dynasty.  I don't even need to know the sport to build a dominant team.  Football, baseball, basketball, hockey... doesn't matter.  I'll easily find a way to fill my roster with all the best players in the league and win 15 championships in a row.

I decided to rent NHL2k8 even though I don't know ANYTHING about Hockey.  By my 3rd year I had the best player at EVERY position.  Way too easily.

I have the Milwakee Bucks on line one for you...

DKC Utah Jazz

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 12:43:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I decided to rent NHL2k8 even though I don't know ANYTHING about Hockey.  By my 3rd year I had the best player at EVERY position.  Way too easily.

The problem with the games (no matter the sport) is that it's way too easy just to use logic to rob the AI and build a dynasty.   Trading old for young is far too simple.   They give you an overall rating (80+ is good... 90+ is great)... and then you just try to collect young players who more often than not will progress into stars... and then once they become stars you trade those stars for young players who will likely become superstars... and before you know it you're 8 players deep with guys rated 90+... 

It's also usually pretty easy to manipulate the AI to trade you coveted draft picks. 

And it's also usually pretty easy to sign solid players only to trade them the next day for young prospects that will become key guys on your team.   

Example:  You'd see someone like Chris Webber as a free agent rated 82 for some reason.  For some reason he's willing to sign with your team for the league minimum.  You sign him to the league minimum... and immediately trade him for some rookie rated 73... who within 4 years is rated a 85... and then you trade him for a rookie 79 who within 3 years is a 89...   and then trade him for a rookie 82 who within 3 years is the best player in the league.    Thus... you just turned nothing into the best player in the league.

I've been able to take advantage of basically every console sports game using that same kind of manipulation.  It's too bad.  Still fun... but too bad ;) 

So since every console franchise mode basically stinks, I usually just do intentionally silly stuff to make it interesting.  Like I take over the Knicks and trade for Shaq... to give the imaginary New York fans something to care about.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:51:41 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 01:07:59 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell

The problem with the games (no matter the sport) is that it's way too easy just to use logic to rob the AI and build a dynasty.   Trading old for young is far too simple.   They give you an overall rating (80+ is good... 90+ is great)... and then you just try to collect young players who more often than not will progress into stars... and then once they become stars you trade those stars for young players who will likely become superstars... and before you know it you're 8 players deep with guys rated 90+... 

It's also usually pretty easy to manipulate the AI to trade you coveted draft picks. 

And it's also usually pretty easy to sign solid players only to trade them the next day for young prospects that will become key guys on your team.   

Example:  You'd see someone like Chris Webber as a free agent rated 82 for some reason.  For some reason he's willing to sign with your team for the league minimum.  You sign him to the league minimum... and immediately trade him for some rookie rated 73... who within 4 years is rated a 85... and then you trade him for a rookie 79 who within 3 years is a 89...   and then trade him for a rookie 82 who within 3 years is the best player in the league.    Thus... you just turned nothing into the best player in the league.

I've been able to take advantage of basically every console sports game using that same kind of manipulation.  It's too bad.  Still fun... but too bad ;) 

So since every console franchise mode basically stinks, I usually just do intentionally silly stuff to make it interesting.  Like I take over the Knicks and trade for Shaq... to give the imaginary New York fans something to care about.

Well if you're just simming all the games and are on the 'build a champion in 10 years' plan, that would work out fine.

Personally, i enjoy getting my roster to consist of certian players i enjoy watching/rooting for and playing it through with them.  I'd rather take my chances playing with a Rodney Carney, knowing his rating will never get above 80ish, rather than stacking my roster with computer generated characters who are a little better.

DKC Utah Jazz

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2008, 01:21:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Well if you're just simming all the games and are on the 'build a champion in 10 years' plan, that would work out fine.

Personally, i enjoy getting my roster to consist of certian players i enjoy watching/rooting for and playing it through with them.  I'd rather take my chances playing with a Rodney Carney, knowing his rating will never get above 80ish, rather than stacking my roster with computer generated characters who are a little better.

I like the sim aspect.  What I'm saying is... within 2-3 years of simming/trading/drafting I can turn any team into a dynasty that never loses.  They are always way too easy.  If i were to sit down with a dev team regarding "Franchise mode", there would be a massive list of things I'd have them address. 

Top of the list:  Give the computer better sense at evaluating the draft and how many players deep it is.  If there are 5 legit future stars in the draft... there should be no way in hell they'll trade a top 5 pick.  Even if the offer is a #6 pick and a future 1st rounder.

Give the computer a better sense of evaluating player potential.  95% of the computer generated players improve over the years in these games.  If they have a guy with an overall rating of 75 but he's 20 years old, the computer should have enough sense to realize that by the time that kid is 25, he'll probably be an allstar.   Thus... they shouldn't trade him for a 32 year old with an 82 rating.  Just give the computer the ability to cheat and project how high his overall rating will eventually be... and then weigh that against what they are trading for and how much the other player will decline within the next 5-10 years. 

With that said... the computer should almost always avoid trading young for old unless the "old" is a guy who is a superstar (KG, for example) and the team is in a position to win a title.  The game shouldn't allow you to trade Allen Iverson for Greg Oden/Kevin Durant just because Iverson is 90+ and Oden/Durant start off with meager ratings as rookies.

Include a lot more of the actual rules that impact the dynamics of running a franchise.  If you trade for someone you can't then trade him 2 days later.  If you sign a free agent you can't then package him with two other players THAT SAME DAY in a trade. 

That's just the stuff they should have fixed 7 years ago.  There are a ton of other things... and some more advanced things that make every "Franchise mode" a big disappointment. 

Some of those text-based computer games like Fast Break Basketball or Draft Day Sports Pro Basketball do a better job at some of those things and are usually far more advanced statistically and with drafting/trading/scouting etc.  What I don't get is this...   I remember years ago (probably like 2001) there were a few popular baseball games like Triple Play, but High Heat Baseball had enough sense to just go out and purchase the stats engine from a test-based computer game and make it the basis for their franchise mode.  I think it was baseball mogul or something.  It suddenly made High Heat Baseball by far the best baseball game out there.  I don't get why NBA Live or 2k8 doesn't just go out and buy one of the successful text-based games and use it as their franchise mode.  It would improve the game drastically.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:45:40 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2008, 07:43:38 PM »

Offline tb727

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
This may be a dumb question, but I've always gotten NBA Live in the past and was going to give 2K a shot this year.  You can trade players and create new players right?

Of course.

Thanks!  I'm gonna give it a shot this year instead of Live.
Jay Wingspan Bilas