Author Topic: Celtics (44-22) at Heat (42-25) Seeding Game #3 8/4/20  (Read 19683 times)

Re: Celtics (44-22) at Heat (42-25) Seeding Game #3 8/4/20
« Reply #315 on: August 05, 2020, 11:38:09 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
If the Celts keep playing like this and losing, plus Heat and Pacer keep their hot streaks alive

I wouldn't be surprised if the Celts end up 5th

Celtics bench production is pretty weak.  Semi and Gwill are unreliable offensively.  Wannaker is good for like 6 pts.   Smart for like 8pts.

CBS has zero trust in Langford.   Only plays him when he has no choice (foul trouble).

You can't get far in this league with an inferior bench.

Our bench will get devoured in the playoffs.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #316 on: August 05, 2020, 11:54:38 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
If the Celts keep playing like this and losing, plus Heat and Pacer keep their hot streaks alive

Celtics bench production is pretty weak.  Semi and Gwill are unreliable offensively.  Wannaker is good for like 6 pts.   Smart for like 8pts.

CBS has zero trust in Langford.   Only plays him when he has no choice (foul trouble).

The bench equation changes significantly if Kemba is able to play 35+ minutes in the playoffs.  Tatum, Jaylen, and Hayward will also be at 35+ MPG in any game that is competitive.  Smart also plays 30+ minutes.

Scoring shouldn't be a problem for the Celtics, even with a weak bench.  I'm much more concerned about the lack of front court depth.  Theis is well rounded but lacks the strength to deal with larger front courts.  Kanter can rebound and finish around the rim but leaves a lot to be desired on the defensive end.  Grant Williams plays hard and smart but gives up a lot of size. 

« Reply #317 on: August 05, 2020, 12:33:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707

The bench equation changes significantly if Kemba is able to play 35+ minutes in the playoffs.  Tatum, Jaylen, and Hayward will also be at 35+ MPG in any game that is competitive.  Smart also plays 30+ minutes.

Scoring shouldn't be a problem for the Celtics, even with a weak bench.  I'm much more concerned about the lack of front court depth.  Theis is well rounded but lacks the strength to deal with larger front courts.  Kanter can rebound and finish around the rim but leaves a lot to be desired on the defensive end.  Grant Williams plays hard and smart but gives up a lot of size.

Yeah I fully expect our rotation to tighten up during the playoffs. I hope we dont see Semi on the floor anymore, he's awful. Grant Williams minutes also need to be reduced in the playoffs. Wanamaker and Kanter and Smart are a very solid bench. We just lack a good wing off the bench so we need two of Hayward , Brown or Tatum in there at all times.  It would be really great if Langford could be that wing off the bench but he's not there yet.

« Reply #318 on: August 05, 2020, 01:02:33 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Agreed.  Our fears going into the season ( a) no bench b) no center ) are playing out.  What hurts about it is that JT and JB have exceeded expectations, so we would have had a legitimate title chance this year with a better true big and a better bench.  But, going forward Ainge should be able to figure it out as free agent title chasers should be more willing to join.  This year is going to be rough in the playoffs, though.

« Reply #319 on: August 05, 2020, 01:17:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Agreed.  Our fears going into the season ( a) no bench b) no center ) are playing out.  What hurts about it is that JT and JB have exceeded expectations, so we would have had a legitimate title chance this year with a better true big and a better bench.  But, going forward Ainge should be able to figure it out as free agent title chasers should be more willing to join.  This year is going to be rough in the playoffs, though.

Celts also having bad luck at the draft these days

One pick away from Herro who would have fit like a glove and provided that scoring off the bench

« Reply #320 on: August 05, 2020, 01:59:10 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

I honestly hope we finish 4th or 5th. We have a much better chance round 1 against the Pacers then we do against Philly, especially when home court advantage is a non-factor

« Reply #321 on: August 05, 2020, 02:01:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707

One pick away from Herro who would have fit like a glove and provided that scoring off the bench

Yeah, Herro would have been the ideal wing off the bench for this team. Ainge reportedly slammed his fist on the table when the Heat took him.

« Reply #322 on: August 05, 2020, 02:16:27 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

I honestly hope we finish 4th or 5th. We have a much better chance round 1 against the Pacers then we do against Philly, especially when home court advantage is a non-factor

But if we beat round 1 and advance to Round 2 we'll get smoked by Milwaukee, again.

Hardly any teams with the #5 seed advance to the East Finals nowadays, much less NBA Finals. Fortunately for all playoff teams, home-court advantage does not matter this season.

« Reply #323 on: August 05, 2020, 02:18:00 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

Yeah, Herro would have been the ideal wing off the bench for this team. Ainge reportedly slammed his fist on the table when the Heat took him.

Still lamenting over picking Olynyk instead of Giannis.

« Reply #324 on: August 05, 2020, 03:01:36 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I know that as an online community we've gone round and round on "the Giannis issue" (in short, most people didn't think Giannis would be as good as he is), but "the Giannis issue" has led me to think that when it comes to drafting, GMs should forget about "safe picks" and go for the home run every time.

Why? Because you need stars to win titles, and teams usually don't end up with stars by playing it safe, especially when they don't have a top-2 or -3 pick. Golden State took a big chance using a high pick on a skinny sharpshooter from small school Davidson; Milwaukee took a chance on a freak athlete from Greece; Portland took a big chance on an electric guard from small school Weber State.

Since hindsight is 20/20, I'm not gonna bludgeon Danny for missing out on Giannis, but there was really no point in picking Olynyk—he had the interesting background of having been a point guard who then hit a huge growth spurt, so he could kinda do the "point forward" thing, but he wasn't a freak athlete and he had short arms—in short, nothing about him said "star potential." Might as well look for an "it" factor (what "it" is in any given case) and pick that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #325 on: August 05, 2020, 03:15:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I know that as an online community we've gone round and round on "the Giannis issue" (in short, most people didn't think Giannis would be as good as he is), but "the Giannis issue" has led me to think that when it comes to drafting, GMs should forget about "safe picks" and go for the home run every time.

Why? Because you need stars to win titles, and teams usually don't end up with stars by playing it safe, especially when they don't have a top-2 or -3 pick. Golden State took a big chance using a high pick on a skinny sharpshooter from small school Davidson; Milwaukee took a chance on a freak athlete from Greece; Portland took a big chance on an electric guard from small school Weber State.

Since hindsight is 20/20, I'm not gonna bludgeon Danny for missing out on Giannis, but there was really no point in picking Olynyk—he had the interesting background of having been a point guard who then hit a huge growth spurt, so he could kinda do the "point forward" thing, but he wasn't a freak athlete and he had short arms—in short, nothing about him said "star potential." Might as well look for an "it" factor (what "it" is in any given case) and pick that.

In that case we should target Poku:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaTyP_DzaiE

Same league as Giannis, by the way.  Great feel, plays like a point forward, great court vision, decent off ball defender.  Not at the freak level as GA athletically, but definitely highest upside of anyone in this draft that is outside the top 10 (buzz on him has him climbing boards). I originally thought that Danny should take him at 26 or 30. Now I'm pretty sure he'll be taken in top 20.

« Reply #326 on: August 05, 2020, 05:50:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Still lamenting over picking Olynyk instead of Giannis.
You shouldn't - many more recent picks to lament! Just missed out on TJ - sorry, MJ Warren ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #327 on: August 05, 2020, 07:23:41 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

A "Grant Williams + Edwards + Green + Poirier + Boston pick + Milwaukee pick" trade for "Bjelica + Holmes" would have helped a lot.

« Reply #328 on: August 05, 2020, 08:11:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

A "Grant Williams + Edwards + Green + Poirier + Boston pick + Milwaukee pick" trade for "Bjelica + Holmes" would have helped a lot.
Maybe for this year alone, but Bjelica is a 32 year-old who plays no defence, and Holmes is a near 27 year-old athletic rim-runner who can neither pass nor shoot - would be behind Theis and behind Kanter for certain match-ups. It would have helped in the short term, but I think long-term that's a bad move.

Our bench stands to improve a lot merely from the development of Grant and Romeo, both of whom will prove to be legit NBA guys IMO.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #329 on: August 05, 2020, 08:42:24 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

if you mean "helped out the rest of the conference for years by removing a good rookie, 2 kids that might offer something in a pinch, a big man filler and 2 future picks that would further help the franchise" then, yes it would have