Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 179451 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #480 on: September 20, 2019, 10:21:44 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin.

Some of the most original science fiction I have read in quite some time. Tremendous world building and a fabulous twisting ending that makes you want to read the second book of this trilogy(The Broken Earth) immediately.

Truly worthy of the Hugo Award it won. On to books 2 and 3, also Hugo Award winners!

You have convinced me. I will check this out!
- LilRip

« Reply #481 on: September 21, 2019, 07:27:54 AM »

Offline drooldaddy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I don’t normally read mystery/ detective story books but....... accidentally discovered an author named Robert Crais and his “Elvis Cole” series. It’s one of those things where you think why Didnt I know about this before.

It will pleasantly kill time till basketball begins

« Reply #482 on: September 21, 2019, 06:12:15 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Conversion: The Spiritual Journey of a Twentieth Century Pilgrim

by Malcolm Muggeridge

Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #483 on: September 22, 2019, 01:37:01 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I like the series about a Thai cop, starting with Bangkok 8.  It's fast, light, but also contemplative.
Here's Wikipedia:

A series of crime novels mainly set in Bangkok, they consist of six books: Bangkok 8, Bangkok Tattoo, Bangkok Haunts, The Godfather of Kathmandu, Vulture Peak, and The Bangkok Asset. They centre on the philosophical Thai Buddhist detective, Sonchai Jitpleecheep, and his meditative internal dialogues. Sonchai is a "leuk krung" or half-caste. He is the son of a former "rented-wife" (a type of prostitute) and a "farang." His father was a U.S. military officer whom he never knew. Sonchai has spent much of his childhood in Europe and the U.S.. A born "outsider", he is also seemingly unbribeable, which increases his alienation from his colleagues.

« Reply #484 on: September 22, 2019, 11:11:33 AM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
50 Things They Don't Want You to Know

By Jerome Hudson
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #485 on: September 22, 2019, 11:34:41 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Just got back from a summer in Ireland and had a lot of time to read. The books I liked the best were:

The Sun Also Rises (Hemingway) - It's a classic. I love Hemingway. His writing is just to tight and precise but always in service of rich emotion. The characters are well rounded. It's amazing what he does with so little. Once you lock into his style, it all just flows.

Gilead (Marilyn Robinson) - This was a novel I'd been assigned in college at a time when I just couldn't keep up with all of the reading I was supposed to be doing so I never actually read it. It's amazing. Written from the perspective of a preacher in the 50's as letters to his young son. Not much for plot in this one but the ruminations on life are fascinating and the writing is brilliant. Loved it.

Daisy Jones & The Six (Taylor Jenkins Reid) - This book is kind of trash but I enjoyed it quite a lot. It's fiction, but written as an oral history of a rock band in the 70's. If that kind of thing sounds interesting, it's a fun book and kind of a breeze to read.

Conversations With Friends (Sally Rooney) - The most millennial book I've ever read. I don't mean that as a value judgement, only that it feels very much in tune with the kind on social anxieties of my generation. It's a really tight first person perspective, and not very reliable narrator but the way the story unfolds and the way Rooney plays with how important perspective is in life I found fascinating.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #486 on: September 22, 2019, 11:43:15 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Just got back from a summer in Ireland and had a lot of time to read. The books I liked the best were:

The Sun Also Rises (Hemingway) - It's a classic. I love Hemingway. His writing is just to tight and precise but always in service of rich emotion. The characters are well rounded. It's amazing what he does with so little. Once you lock into his style, it all just flows.

Gilead (Marilyn Robinson) - This was a novel I'd been assigned in college at a time when I just couldn't keep up with all of the reading I was supposed to be doing so I never actually read it. It's amazing. Written from the perspective of a preacher in the 50's as letters to his young son. Not much for plot in this one but the ruminations on life are fascinating and the writing is brilliant. Loved it.

Daisy Jones & The Six (Taylor Jenkins Reid) - This book is kind of trash but I enjoyed it quite a lot. It's fiction, but written as an oral history of a rock band in the 70's. If that kind of thing sounds interesting, it's a fun book and kind of a breeze to read.

Conversations With Friends (Sally Rooney) - The most millennial book I've ever read. I don't mean that as a value judgement, only that it feels very much in tune with the kind on social anxieties of my generation. It's a really tight first person perspective, and not very reliable narrator but the way the story unfolds and the way Rooney plays with how important perspective is in life I found fascinating.
i hope you had a good time in ireland. if you are interested "things irish" then perhaps this is a book for you. it is very well written and does an amazing job of bringing together a wide range of approaches to understanding the great hunger in ireland. parts of it are simply depressing as heck, but it is a very good read.

The Graves Are Walking, by John Kelly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007CLBMOI/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #487 on: September 22, 2019, 05:47:14 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #488 on: September 22, 2019, 07:32:22 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
Who Killed the American Family?

By Phyllis Schlafly

« Reply #489 on: September 23, 2019, 10:08:03 AM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
Web of Debt: The Shocking Truth about Our Money System and How We Can Break Free

by Ellen Hodgson Brown

« Reply #490 on: September 23, 2019, 11:00:23 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

i hope you had a good time in ireland. if you are interested "things irish" then perhaps this is a book for you. it is very well written and does an amazing job of bringing together a wide range of approaches to understanding the great hunger in ireland. parts of it are simply depressing as heck, but it is a very good read.

The Graves Are Walking, by John Kelly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007CLBMOI/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
When it comes to "things Irish" I can assume "depressing as heck" will follow shortly.  :)

Thanks. TP
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #491 on: September 23, 2019, 02:20:42 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
Mahatma Gandhi 2.0: India's Game Changing Prime Minister Narendra Modi

By Ashoke Seth

He is an inspired leader like Gandhi.  Also, a great speaker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVSDTbE0tB8

« Reply #492 on: September 23, 2019, 02:49:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

By Ashoke Seth

Does it ever get around to mentioning that Gandhi was assassinated by a member of the same far-right nationalist party Modi belonged to, or is it pretty much just shallow hagiography all the way down?

« Reply #493 on: September 23, 2019, 04:19:40 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown

By Ashoke Seth

Does it ever get around to mentioning that Gandhi was assassinated by a member of the same far-right nationalist party Modi belonged to, or is it pretty much just shallow hagiography all the way down?

I don't recall mention of anything like that.  What it does do is highlight the ideological similarities between the two men.

« Reply #494 on: September 24, 2019, 12:19:25 AM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
The Bible

EDIT: All the rest of what you posted are all great quotes from great people regarding the Bible and God, but could easily spur debate that could put the subject into Current Events discussions. Since CE discussions should only occur on that board, it seemed right to edit out all the quotes.

Let's just say, a lot of important and famous people like the Bible and God.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:56:36 AM by nickagneta »