Author Topic: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)  (Read 64054 times)

Re: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)
« Reply #240 on: September 14, 2018, 10:11:28 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
A few more suggestions while we're at it:

- It would be great if we could embed Youtube videos again
- Consider changing the background color of the forum.  Reading text on a white background hurts my eyeballs - basically like staring into a lamp.

Thanks.

New announcement coming soon, keep the feedback coming!

Regarding colors, we may be able to support an alternate "night" theme. I know the forums support user selectable themes, and we could take the existing layout but apply some new colors.

YouTube - good suggestion. Does anyone know history there of why it stopped being possible? Was there a community issue around it at all?

YouTube being stopped was not a choice, but rather SBN hiring somebody to “upgrade” the forums who didn’t know what he was doing. He left them half-broken, including leaving YouTube disabled.

Thanks Roy. I'll check where that feature lives and make sure it comes back!
I know I have had trouble inputting an avatar for years. Is this a system problem or just me?

I believe it's a system problem. We will get it fixed!

« Reply #241 on: September 14, 2018, 11:25:40 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I prefer the TP system. TPs aren't just given out for posts. They have a place in games and bets and are given out to show respect and as a sign of friendship. And they make Celticsblog unique. I wouldn't change things at all. Also, a new system isn't going to stop the "Agreed", "This^^^", and other type comments. I see them all over the place on social media and site comments sections.

I prefer the TP system.

TPs are perfectly compatible with the changes discussed above. No one advocated abolishing TPs.

Also, a new system isn't going to stop the "Agreed", "This^^^", and other type comments.I see them all over the place on social media and site comments sections.

My own experience is very different. Which social media are you talking about?

I previously mentioned Paradox Plaza because it is very civil and because it's also a forum not unlike the one we have here. I don't recall ever seeing a "this ^^^^" there.

I like the TP counter. Maybe we can add some kind of indicator on the posts that get the TP.

I've often thought that it would be great to know who's giving me TPs, and for which posts.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #242 on: September 15, 2018, 01:00:01 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

- Consider changing the background color of the forum.  Reading text on a white background hurts my eyeballs - basically like staring into a lamp.

Thanks.

Regarding colors, we may be able to support an alternate "night" theme. I know the forums support user selectable themes, and we could take the existing layout but apply some new colors.

YouTube - good suggestion. Does anyone know history there of why it stopped being possible? Was there a community issue around it at all?

YouTube being stopped was not a choice, but rather SBN hiring somebody to “upgrade” the forums who didn’t know what he was doing. He left them half-broken, including leaving YouTube disabled.

I know I have had trouble inputting an avatar for years. Is this a system problem or just me?

Its difficult but you can use this method.

1. Go on Google type a phrase that will give you the avatar you are after then click google search.
2. Click on Images.
3. Select the Image you are after then click 'View Image'.
4. Right click directly on the image an click on 'Save Image' then name the pic and remember where you are saving it.
5. Go to http://resizepic.com
6. Click on 'Choose File' and find and select the pic you saved earlier and select it.
7. Click on 'Width' and select no larger than 75 and do the same for your 'Height' then click 'Resize Image'.
8. Your Avatar should be above your Image Resizer with the new pixel dimensions, right click on the Avatar and select 'Save'.
9. Go to imgur.com it's safe and reliable. It's Reddit's image hosting site.
10. Make a free account and upload your image
11. Open the image in a new tab and the url at the top of the screen should read something like this... https://i.imgur.com/MN0GMTy.jpg
12. Now here is the trick.... When uploading the image to your forum profile you need to type the URL as "http" not "https" my final address looked like.... http://i.imgur.com/MN0GMTy.jpg

Source: slightly biased bias fan
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=95197.msg2452088#msg2452088

« Reply #243 on: September 15, 2018, 05:52:24 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I’ve never been able to access (or never been able to figure out how to access) the bold, italics, underline (etc) features.  I suspect it’s my stupidity at fault, but if it’s actually tricky that would be a good fix.

« Reply #244 on: September 15, 2018, 07:41:30 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Thanks.

Awesome, thanks.  I was wondering what the heck happened to being able to embed YouTube vids. 

Good to know about the color schemes too.  Obviously we have to keep green and white, but as long as having a non-white background is an option everything should be fine.

I respectfully disagree. Try reading white text over a black background. I get a headache within five minutes. Now if you’re talking about keeping black text but over a slightly shaded, but still light, background that might work. Still, I have no trouble with the current color scheme. If it’s too bright turn down your brightness on your screen. iPads have an auto night feature that does that.

« Reply #245 on: September 15, 2018, 07:57:41 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
I’ve never been able to access (or never been able to figure out how to access) the bold, italics, underline (etc) features.  I suspect it’s my stupidity at fault, but if it’s actually tricky that would be a good fix.

Highlight what you want bolded by click and dragging you mouse over the words.

Then press the "B" icon above the text entry box.

You will see that a "[b ]" has appeared in front of why you want bolded and a "[/b ]" has appeared behind it.
*Note added spaces after the b to show what boxes look like, you will not have to use spaces when you click the "B" icon*

Everything in between the bracketed "[b's]" will be bolded when you post. You can preview it it before to make sure every thing worked out as well.

Same thing for Italics with [I ] and underline with [U ].
*Again no spaces when you use the icons*

« Reply #246 on: September 17, 2018, 04:51:49 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming.

Also, the fundraiser is up. No obligation to donate, but it will be hugely helpful in taking the pressure off while we "figure things out" and focus on tightening up the site. A little goes a long way!

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=97664

« Reply #247 on: September 17, 2018, 06:47:59 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

You will see that a "[b ]" has appeared in front of why you want bolded and a "[/b ]" has appeared behind it.
*Note added spaces after the b to show what boxes look like, you will not have to use spaces when you click the "B" icon*

Everything in between the bracketed "[b's]" will be bolded when you post. You can preview it it before to make sure every thing worked out as well.

It's not working when I try this.  I wish there was an instruction manual for all this stuff.  I don't know how to do a lot of stuff that people do here and I don't know how everyone else seems to know how to do these things.

« Reply #248 on: September 17, 2018, 09:57:17 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell

It's not working when I try this.  I wish there was an instruction manual for all this stuff.  I don't know how to do a lot of stuff that people do here and I don't know how everyone else seems to know how to do these things.

Hmmm not sure what your exact issue is but a common problem I run into is making sure that the words you want bolded are still highlighted when you click the "B" icon.

This is especially difficult on mobile since you often need to scroll up to press the "B" icon which might accidentally kill your highlight.

Best of luck friend. If there's interest I could probably do a Youtube tutorial if the new site uses the same system.

« Reply #249 on: September 17, 2018, 10:12:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

when you hit quote do you see the bar with the B, I, U, etc. above all of the smileys.  All you have to do is hit those and then type within the two b's. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #250 on: September 17, 2018, 10:57:38 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Can you make a post and try bold in something? We may be able to see what's going wrong if we check your post after
I'm bitter.

« Reply #251 on: September 17, 2018, 01:53:26 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

when you hit quote do you see the bar with the B, I, U, etc. above all of the smileys.  All you have to do is hit those and then type within the two b's.

« Reply #252 on: September 17, 2018, 01:57:13 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

No luck.  I see the B,I, and U but I don't get the two b's after I click on the B.  Also, nothing happens when I click on the emoji's when using my computer.  They work fine on my phone.  It's been like this for about a year.  Maybe it's a computer issue. 

I'd also like to be able to take a sentence from somebody else's long post and just quote that sentence instead of taking up so much room quoting the whole post.

« Reply #253 on: September 17, 2018, 02:31:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

No luck.  I see the B,I, and U but I don't get the two b's after I click on the B.  Also, nothing happens when I click on the emoji's when using my computer.  They work fine on my phone.  It's been like this for about a year.  Maybe it's a computer issue. 

I'd also like to be able to take a sentence from somebody else's long post and just quote that sentence instead of taking up so much room quoting the whole post.

You don't need to use the buttons to use the bold, italics, quote, etc. functions.

Simply input what's in the grey boxes below: 

Code: [Select]
[b]I want to bold this[/b]
or

Code: [Select]
[quote]I want to quote this[/quote]

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #254 on: September 19, 2018, 05:18:54 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
The first preseason game is September 28th.  Will I be making a game thread on this forum or on a new one?  Inquiring minds want to know.  :)