Author Topic: The Hayward S&T: Missed Opportunity? (Merged)  (Read 29808 times)

Re: The Hayward S&T: Missed Opportunity?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2021, 08:28:21 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
This deal was never gonna happen, so I don't understand why it continues to get brought up. It wasn't in the Celtics' hands, so everyone on this thread is getting worked up over nothing.

This.  The healthier way to look at it also happens to be the more likely scenario (not definitive, but much more likely).  Not matter what, Charlotte was going to offer the godfather deal that Hayward was going to grab.

I agree with all this. I’ll also say that at the time I wouldn’t have wanted Danny to do the deal even if Hayward would have gone to Indy. I thought Thompson would bring us toughness and competitiveness, and enough D to be better than Turner, straight up. Based on early results I’m doubting that.

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2021, 08:57:23 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Thinking that if Hayward was in Indy that the Pacers would’ve like a top two team in the East.

Brogdon/Oladipo(Levert)/Hayward/Warren/Sabonis. That team would be pretty on offense.

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2021, 09:02:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This deal was never gonna happen, so I don't understand why it continues to get brought up. It wasn't in the Celtics' hands, so everyone on this thread is getting worked up over nothing.

The suggestion coming from Indy after the fact is that they would have gotten a deal done with GH, but Danny wouldn’t make a reasonable deal.  And, with the way this played out, that makes sense.  Early one, when trade negotiations started, Charlotte had other targets.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2021, 09:09:35 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16

The suggestion coming from Indy after the fact is that they would have gotten a deal done with GH, but Danny wouldn’t make a reasonable deal.  And, with the way this played out, that makes sense.  Early one, when trade negotiations started, Charlotte had other targets.

As they ended up trading olidipo anyhow I'm surprised that ended up being a deal breaker. 

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2021, 09:11:27 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

The recent story in Athletic made it sound like Gordon was trying to decide among 5 teams including Indy. Was that his top choice? Who knows, but as you indicated before he opted out he would likely sign with the team making best offer which wasn’t Indy. It was Charlotte.

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2021, 09:18:35 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Someone enlighten me: have there ever been any significant TPE acquisitions in the past 5 years?
I can’t think of any. Mostly salary dumps and role players. Then there very rarely are exceptions of this size so not many precedents. My gut tells me chances of getting a difference maker are less than 25% no matter what we offer. Actually if we do get a difference maker won’t be primarily because of the tpe

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2021, 09:21:53 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I was under the impression that this deal was a possibility, but the more I thought about it, the more it seemed reasonable for Hayward and his agent to explore all possibilities before making a decision. It was afterall his decision, not the Cs or Indy.

If it was available, it's fair to say that missing out on this deal was a whiff. Turner, McDermott, a 1st, 2 2nds, plus whatever assets we will need to trade in order to use the TPE is obviously better than Thompson. I get that Turner is slightly overpaid, but Thompson basically straight up sucks and adds absolutely nothing to our big man rotation besides depth. I'm already ready to move on from him - at least he has a tradable contract.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2021, 09:22:01 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

The recent story in Athletic made it sound like Gordon was trying to decide among 5 teams including Indy. Was that his top choice? Who knows, but as you indicated before he opted out he would likely sign with the team making best offer which wasn’t Indy. It was Charlotte.
No I think if Ainge acted fast Hayward would have been a pacer. It’s not unreasonable to think that healthy Hayward is worth a tiny bit more than MT + DM + a protected first rounder but I think that deal was the absolute best we could get for a guy that was leaving. Danny definitely screwed up there

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2021, 09:31:35 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Indiana was only willing to pay hayward 20-25million$ a year

no way he was turning down 30million$ from charlotte.

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2021, 09:35:25 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Again, if we’d finished the deal early on, Charlotte wouldn’t have even been in the picture.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2021, 09:39:12 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

Again, if we’d finished the deal early on, Charlotte wouldn’t have even been in the picture.

I do think that because of the Garnett trade, the Nets trade and the Fultz for Tatum swap Danny has developed this habit of having to "win every trade" when sometimes you just need to make a trade thats good for both teams and they can be happy with.

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2021, 10:54:33 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

But that makes little sense. Do you think Hayward and his agent weren't gonna test the waters for what other suitors were offering? The Celtics and Pacers rushing to do a sign and trade deal doesn't mean a thing without Hayward writing off on it.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2021, 10:57:42 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

But that makes little sense. Do you think Hayward and his agent weren't gonna test the waters for what other suitors were offering? The Celtics and Pacers rushing to do a sign and trade deal doesn't mean a thing without Hayward writing off on it.

Free agents sign early all of the time. From what we have heard, Hayward was willing to take less from Indiana, and Indy seems to have thought that if the trade was done, Hayward would have signed there.

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2021, 11:13:02 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Free agents sign early all of the time. From what we have heard, Hayward was willing to take less from Indiana, and Indy seems to have thought that if the trade was done, Hayward would have signed there.
Yeah, it's what we've heard... from a single source and the incredibly biased opinion of a gm that didn't get what he wanted. I just don't buy it, as it doesn't make sense to me.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2021, 11:32:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yeah, it's what we've heard... from a single source and the incredibly biased opinion of a gm that didn't get what he wanted. I just don't buy it, as it doesn't make sense to me.

You will obviously believe what you will, but how often do you GM’s go on record? Not a source, not a leak, but straight up discussing a deal with the media?

I remember Danny doing that exactly once, when he tried to massively overpay for justice Winslow. He was frustrated because he thought the GM on the other side was being unreasonable and kept him from a player that he coveted, and he vented to the media about it.  Kevin Pritchard is doing the exact same thing here.