Author Topic: The Hayward S&T: Missed Opportunity? (Merged)  (Read 30296 times)

Re: The Hayward S&T: Missed Opportunity? (Merged)
« Reply #225 on: February 28, 2021, 01:06:41 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Either way we should not want Turner  He doesn’t do enough on offense to make up for his poor defense. Just look at the way this game ended. It was all about exploiting Turner’s lack of mobility. This DPOY talk is crazy to me.
Whiteside 2.0 on defence. Bad defender who racks up stats

This is just wrong.  He leads the Pacers in Defensive Rating.

The impact Turner makes on Indiana's defense is stark. When he's on the court, the Pacers give up a stingy 104.3 points per 100 possessions, better than the league-leading 104.8 mark of the Los Angeles Lakers. When he sits, the Pacers allow opponents to score 113.8 points per 100 possessions, a mark that would rank 28th in the league. Opponents are also shooting 8 percentage points worse from the field when Turner plays.

Overall, Turner is contesting 13.7 shots per game this season, fifth most in the NBA. The only other Pacers player contesting more than six shots per game is All-Star Domantas Sabonis (11.2).

He’s allowing opponents to shoot 40.9%, which is 7.6 percentage points below their average.  That’s one of the best marks in the NBA, 0.1 behind Gobert.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/defense-dash-overall/?sort=D_FGA&dir=1
Hassan Whiteside had a similarly elite defensive impact on Miami 2014-2016. His DRtg was amazing (97 & 95) and his DBPM over those two years slightly nudges out Turner's over the last 3. Turner also boasts an inferior defensive RAPTOR. But he had similar complaints - numerous brainfarts mid-game and a real lack of defensive consistency, especially on the perimeter.

I just don't rate Turner as that elite a defender despite his number of blocks. There are a number of big men who play defence at a higher level than Turner, not to mention without hurting you as much on offence or as a rebounder. Heck, I'd almost rather Timelord
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: The Hayward S&T: Missed Opportunity? (Merged)
« Reply #226 on: February 28, 2021, 09:10:36 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Either way we should not want Turner  He doesn’t do enough on offense to make up for his poor defense. Just look at the way this game ended. It was all about exploiting Turner’s lack of mobility. This DPOY talk is crazy to me.
Whiteside 2.0 on defence. Bad defender who racks up stats

This is just wrong.  He leads the Pacers in Defensive Rating.

The impact Turner makes on Indiana's defense is stark. When he's on the court, the Pacers give up a stingy 104.3 points per 100 possessions, better than the league-leading 104.8 mark of the Los Angeles Lakers. When he sits, the Pacers allow opponents to score 113.8 points per 100 possessions, a mark that would rank 28th in the league. Opponents are also shooting 8 percentage points worse from the field when Turner plays.

Overall, Turner is contesting 13.7 shots per game this season, fifth most in the NBA. The only other Pacers player contesting more than six shots per game is All-Star Domantas Sabonis (11.2).

He’s allowing opponents to shoot 40.9%, which is 7.6 percentage points below their average.  That’s one of the best marks in the NBA, 0.1 behind Gobert.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/defense-dash-overall/?sort=D_FGA&dir=1
Hassan Whiteside had a similarly elite defensive impact on Miami 2014-2016. His DRtg was amazing (97 & 95) and his DBPM over those two years slightly nudges out Turner's over the last 3. Turner also boasts an inferior defensive RAPTOR. But he had similar complaints - numerous brainfarts mid-game and a real lack of defensive consistency, especially on the perimeter.

I just don't rate Turner as that elite a defender despite his number of blocks. There are a number of big men who play defence at a higher level than Turner, not to mention without hurting you as much on offence or as a rebounder. Heck, I'd almost rather Timelord
I'd 100% rather have Timelord if he's going to be able to handle the same minutes Turner gets without breaking down.  I think he's the more impactful player.