Author Topic: 10/29 Draft Buzz (11/9 update)  (Read 12955 times)

Re: 10/29 Draft Buzz
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2020, 01:42:23 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2915414-2020-nba-draft-buzz-emerging-point-guards-and-latest-rumors

Notes from article

Teams will not waste workouts as they are limited to 10 and traveling out of state requires quarantine
     the following workouts reported
                    Lewis jr. Magic, Knicks, Pistons, Bulls
                    Haliburton. Mavs * not from this article
                    S Bey. Mavs* not from this article
                    RJ Hamptom,. Celtics not from this article
                    Toppin.           Cavs
https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/nba-rumors-cleveland-cavaliers-draft-workout-obi-toppin-this-week

Poku linked to Blazers and Mavs

Pritchard getting first round buzz

Terry linked to Lakers, Bucks, and 76ers

Washington wants Okongwu or will look to trade back

Hayes is receiving interest from Pistons, Knicks, Hawks, and Kings

Nesmith getting interest from Suns

Patrick Williams is getting top twin buzz namely from Pistons

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article246759051.html

Hornets appear to want Wiseman, this could lead to a trade up to 1st or 2nd pick.

nice

-but Wizards have no avenue to move up for Okongwu. Unless they are willing to include Hachimuira in a trade. Unlikely

-Hornets have some decent assets to move up to 1st or 2nd.  Bridges, Washington,  Graham

- Terry won't get past the 76ers at 21

- very curious to see what Suns, Spurs, Pelicans will do

I assume that they hope Okongwu falls to their pick (washington that is) several Mocks have him on the board when they select.

Can't see Okongwu getting past the Cavs.   Hornets could also nab him at 3 if Wiseman is not available

If slips to 7,  I would want Danny to think about trading the 1sts for Okongwu

Okongwu looks so much like Bam on the floor it's crazy. I'm not sure the passing and handle are there but the way he moves is real good.

Let me preface this by saying: I'd be ecstatic to get Okongwu. I think his PnR defense could be elite sooner rather than later. He screams modern big. I also think he could be a legit option to playmake on short rolls in the PnR on offense.

Bam is alot more explosive though. Bam also is a great dribbler/passer. I dont think Okongwu would get to THAT level, but I'd love to have him.
#JKJB

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 01:44:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Boston should go for Saddiq Bey with pick number 14. He's a "6-foot-8 Marcus Smart with a more consistent 3-point shot".

I disagree.  His defense is not at the level of Marcus Smart. 

see below...   

https://youtu.be/3nWFbTgd2K0?t=10

I would take Saddiq Bey with the 26th pick though if he was still available.   

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2020, 01:48:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Boston should go for Saddiq Bey with pick number 14. He's a "6-foot-8 Marcus Smart with a more consistent 3-point shot".

I disagree.  His defense is not at the level of Marcus Smart. 

see below...   

https://youtu.be/3nWFbTgd2K0?t=10

I would take Saddiq Bey with the 26th pick though if he was still available.   

Doubt he will.

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 01:54:01 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
NBC Sports reported Wiseman does not want to be pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 02:13:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2915414-2020-nba-draft-buzz-emerging-point-guards-and-latest-rumors

Notes from article

Teams will not waste workouts as they are limited to 10 and traveling out of state requires quarantine
                    Toppin.           Cavs
https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/nba-rumors-cleveland-cavaliers-draft-workout-obi-toppin-this-week

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article246759051.html

Hornets appear to want Wiseman, this could lead to a trade up to 1st or 2nd pick.

nice

-but Wizards have no avenue to move up for Okongwu. Unless they are willing to include Hachimuira in a trade. Unlikely

-Hornets have some decent assets to move up to 1st or 2nd.  Bridges, Washington,  Graham

I assume that they hope Okongwu falls to their pick (washington that is) several Mocks have him on the board when they select.

Can't see Okongwu getting past the Cavs.   Hornets could also nab him at 3 if Wiseman is not available

Okongwu looks so much like Bam on the floor it's crazy. I'm not sure the passing and handle are there but the way he moves is real good.

Let me preface this by saying: I'd be ecstatic to get Okongwu. I think his PnR defense could be elite sooner rather than later. He screams modern big. I also think he could be a legit option to playmake on short rolls in the PnR on offense.

Bam is alot more explosive though. Bam also is a great dribbler/passer. I dont think Okongwu would get to THAT level, but I'd love to have him.

Watching more tapes on Okongwu as of late.  I think his lack of quality perimeter skills is not going to bring in strong interest from the Celts.  At least not by trading 3 1st to move up.   What really differentiates Okongwu from Timelord?? 

Instead I see the Celts have more interest in Jalen Smith.    He is one of the more explosive/quick  bigs from this class but also can shoot the 3 and has a nice straight line drive ability  (if guarded too tightly at the 3 line  or against slow defenders)

Even for Smith, Celtics may have to trade down a few spots as there are rumors that Pelicans,  Spurs,  Kings could be interested

I would consider trading 14, 30, Edwards for example to Wizards for their 9th pick

9th: Jalen Smith
26. Immanuel Quickley
47: Nate Hinton

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2020, 03:16:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Jonathan Wasserman: Devon Dotson got up for a 40-inch max vertical, per source. Up from 38.5 inches at last year’s combine. – via Twitter NBADraftWass

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2020, 04:53:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

nice

Watching more tapes on Okongwu as of late.  I think his lack of quality perimeter skills is not going to bring in strong interest from the Celts.  At least not by trading 3 1st to move up.   What really differentiates Okongwu from Timelord?? 

Instead I see the Celts have more interest in Jalen Smith.    He is one of the more explosive/quick  bigs from this class but also can shoot the 3 and has a nice straight line drive ability  (if guarded too tightly at the 3 line  or against slow defenders)

Even for Smith, Celtics may have to trade down a few spots as there are rumors that Pelicans,  Spurs,  Kings could be interested

I would consider trading 14, 30, Edwards for example to Wizards for their 9th pick

26. Immanuel Quickley

Most draft boards don't have Jalen Smith being taken until late teens/early twenties, and you want to trade up to 9th pick to draft him.

Seriously?

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 05:30:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

nice

26. Immanuel Quickley

Most draft boards don't have Jalen Smith being taken until late teens/early twenties, and you want to trade up to 9th pick to draft him.

Seriously?

Yup

He is 14 on nbadraft mock board and 13 on a few others

Smith is considered the 4th best big of the draft. Imo 3rd best because he is a better defender than Toppin. Adv over Okongwu also because he can shoot the ball. 

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2020, 05:57:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

nice

26. Immanuel Quickley

Seriously?

Yup

Smith is considered the 4th best big of the draft. Imo 3rd best because he is a better defender than Toppin. Adv over Okongwu also because he can shoot the ball.
Smith is not better than Okongwu, lol
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2020, 06:09:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

nice

26. Immanuel Quickley

Seriously?

Yup

Smith is a power forward at best, not a center. He has twigs for legs.  Okongwu outweighs him by 20 pounds. (245 v 225).  He'll get pushed around by everyone, including Kemba.  You can't put him in same category with guys like Okongwu.

I have similar concern for Achiuwa, who also is 225. 

We need muscle inside. That's how you stop Lebron and AD and Bam.

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2020, 06:37:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

nice

26. Immanuel Quickley

Seriously?

Yup

Smith is not better than Okongwu, lol

Adv via stretch ability. Not overall

Okongwu has poor perimeter skills. Even Timelord has more perimeter skills

Defensively they are close. Okongwu at the moment has 15 pounds weight adv

Cant see why Smith cant add weight.

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2020, 06:42:29 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

nice

26. Immanuel Quickley

Seriously?

Yup

Smith is a power forward at best, not a center. He has twigs for legs.  Okongwu outweighs him by 20 pounds. (245 v 225).  He'll get pushed around by everyone, including Kemba.  You can't put him in same category with guys like Okongwu.

He can absolutely be a center in the NBA. He's only 10 lbs lighter than Serge Ibaka, who's definitely a center at this point. He needs to do some bulking up, sure, but he's a great prospect at #14.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2020, 06:44:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

nice

26. Immanuel Quickley

Seriously?

Yup

So wait... you think Theis is a true center in the nba?

Bam is not a pure center either. But can be in todays nba. 

Smith is 6'10 and should be able to add 15 pounds ... he is a good rebounder and shot blocker.   

He should be able to play stretch 5 in the new nba

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2020, 06:48:45 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
As far as big men go, I'll say that Smith is probably the 4th best big in the draft, and will definitely be the best big available at 14.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2020, 07:06:19 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

nice

26. Immanuel Quickley

Seriously?

Yup

My quick rankings of this classes bigs

1. Wiseman

2. Okongwu

3a Achiuwa
3b Toppin

4a Tillman
4b Nnaji
4c Poku

5a Smith
5b Azubuike
5c Stewart

Outside of these 10 I’m not sold that the rest are worth drafting (I view Reed as a big wing project unless he measures bigger the 6’8 and 220lbs)

As for Smith I fear he is January Johnson 2.0, a really good college big who can shoot and block shots but isn’t big enough to be a drop rim protector or quick enough to to switch.

As for Okongwu I think he will be a good long term NBA big, I fear that the rise of Bam and his rise to a likely top 10 pick will burden him with unrealistic expectations.

As for Celtics fits,

I’ve long been a huge Tillman fan. His IQ and toughness should allow him to play a similar role to Theis.

Achiuwa is an interesting fit in that he is an elite athlete who could be Faried 2.0 but more dynamic with the ball in the open court. If he buys it a Theis like undersized 5 role and becomes a solid screen setter coupled with his grab and go ability he could be an interesting Cs for.

Nnaji, seems like a late draft riser. He measured out well (almost identical to Greg Monroe) and is rumored to look really good shooting the 3 in practices and workouts.

Azubuike, a counter intuitive fit but he could be amazing in a 15-20mpg role. His size and explosiveness would give the Cs a package of rim protection, rebounding and rim running that they don’t have in one player. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet