Author Topic: Celtics draft trade based off Chad Ford speculation  (Read 3521 times)

Celtics draft trade based off Chad Ford speculation
« on: November 07, 2020, 06:56:14 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Listening to Chad Fords Mock draft podcast he mocked S Bey at #16.

What is significant about this is he speculated that he still probably has him mocked to low. Mentioned he could see him going 2-3 spots higher (Celtics range) more interesting to me is that he mentioned the possibility that a few teams in the 20s could make a push to trade up for him.

This could give the Cs the opportunity to trade down or out from 14 for future assets.

For past reference

Cs traded #20 to 76ers for #24 and #33
Thunder traded #21  to Grizz for #23 and a 2024 2nd
Nets traded #27 to Clippers for 2020 protected first and #56

Suns traded #10 to 76ers for #16 and the heat 2021 1st (unprotected)
Clippers traded #11 to Hornets for #12, a 2020 2nd and a 2021 2nd

Wizards trade #15 to ATL for #19 and 2 future 2nds

Looking at past trades the Cs could realistically move down from #14 to #23Jazz or #24Bucks and pick up at least a future protected 1st and dump Porier in the process.

This isn't the sexiest way to attack the draft but at #24.#26,#30 the Cs could come away with

My picks for each mock

Tankathon:  Bolmaro, Bane, Tillman

Chad Frod: Cole Anthony, Maledon, Tillman

RInger: Cole Anthony, Bolmaro, Tillman

Those are 3 draft outcomes I would be happy with

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Celtics draft trade based off Chad Ford speculation
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 07:08:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Belichick would like it. Hopefully not Ainge.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 07:14:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If he can get value like that Philly/Suns trade, sure.

Otherwise, stay put or trade up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 08:07:32 PM »

Offline SteveD

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 1
Listening to Chad Fords Mock draft podcast he mocked S Bey at #16.

What is significant about this is he speculated that he still probably has him mocked to low. Mentioned he could see him going 2-3 spots higher (Celtics range) more interesting to me is that he mentioned the possibility that a few teams in the 20s could make a push to trade up for him.

This could give the Cs the opportunity to trade down or out from 14 for future assets.

For past reference

Cs traded #20 to 76ers for #24 and #33
Thunder traded #21  to Grizz for #23 and a 2024 2nd
Nets traded #27 to Clippers for 2020 protected first and #56

Suns traded #10 to 76ers for #16 and the heat 2021 1st (unprotected)
Clippers traded #11 to Hornets for #12, a 2020 2nd and a 2021 2nd

Wizards trade #15 to ATL for #19 and 2 future 2nds

Looking at past trades the Cs could realistically move down from #14 to #23Jazz or #24Bucks and pick up at least a future protected 1st and dump Porier in the process.

This isn't the sexiest way to attack the draft but at #24.#26,#30 the Cs could come away with

My picks for each mock

Tankathon:  Bolmaro, Bane, Tillman

Chad Frod: Cole Anthony, Maledon, Tillman

RInger: Cole Anthony, Bolmaro, Tillman

Those are 3 draft outcomes I would be happy with

I'd love to get Saddiq Bey on the Celtics with pick 14.

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 07:42:15 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
If he can get value like that Philly/Suns trade, sure.

Otherwise, stay put or trade up.

All things considered (roster space, need for vets on bench) I would prefer a trade up. If Cs can used their a combination of 3 picks (and in my not popular opinion R Williams) to move up for Hayes, Wiseman, Okoro, Okongwu, Advija then I’m all for it. In fact my dream draft is to trade 14,26,RWill to move up to 7, draft Hayes and grab Tillman at 30.

If a trade up isn’t in the cards and like some mocks are predicting the Cs are looking at Lewis Jr, S Bey, or a number of player I have tiered similar 15-40 then the trade down is simply a value move. I’d take Cole Anthony and a future 1st every time over Lewis Jr or Bane and a first every time over S Bey.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 08:12:21 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I agree with the OP. If by trading #14, we can get a future 1st from a mid-lower level playoff type team by dropping to 19-23, I would probably take advantage of that. It's very possible that we are looking at a PG at #14 anyway, and I would not be surprised one bit to see Anthony, Hampton, or even Terry still available in that 19-23 range. I'd imagine Ainge has a much more specific order of preference than I do - and unless his guy his gone at #14, he will probably stay there - but it would be great to still get one of those higher level PG prospects that happens to drop, as well as a future 1st.

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 02:30:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There is zero chance Ainge is drafting 4 players this year. The roster spots simply do not exist and the team is now a contender and needs veteran role players coming off the bench, not 3 late first round rookies and a 2nd round rookie from a weak draft on this team, especially when those rooks will have very limited off-season preparation to be rotation worthy.

This is definitely the year to consolidate and move up or choose at 14 and off load picks 26 and 30 for future draft considerations and/or dumping some salary, like Poirier and Edwards.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 03:41:11 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Ainge: "There were no trades that made sense... we are very happy to welcome our 4 new rookies".
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 03:49:21 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Ainge: "There were no trades that made sense... we are very happy to welcome our 4 new rookies".

It honestly could happen, there are several 2-4 year college players within our picks that could be viewed as NBA ready and there are some roster spots that could be opened. I doubt Kanter or Poirtier stays, Wanamaker, Waters & Edwards can easily be traded or cut and Tacko seems like a non factor and more of a culture guy.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 03:53:35 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
There is zero chance Ainge is drafting 4 players this year. The roster spots simply do not exist.

It's not that difficult to clear some roster spots. We can trade Ojeleye or not pick up his option, same goes for Green. Both of them have a role in the NBA, but I don't think that should be with the Celtics. I have no faith in Edwards, him and Poirier I'd trade away but won't cost a first rounder to shred 4M in salary. Kanter could decline his PO, same goes for Hayward (story in itself). Not sure what Wanamaker's future is. So I think we can definitely make room for rookies.

And the team is now a contender and needs veteran role players coming off the bench.

I thought so too, but Ainge didn't make any moves before the trade deadline in February to make that happen. We probably blew a good opportunity. Now with the concerns about Walker's knees, the uncertainty about Hayward's desire to stay in Boston and the increased problems with financial sustainability of the current core due to the crisis I'm thinking we have to think more longterm.

Tatum and Brown were the best two players during the playoffs and haven't reached their peak yet, while the veterans were unable to carry the team. With all the young guys and picks we have I'd focus more on the future (like 2-3 years from now) to really make our best effort to win championships.

Not 3 late first round rookies and a 2nd round rookie from a weak draft on this team.

The draft is considered to be weak at the top, but also very deep on the other hand. It's not unlikely to find some useful role players with late firsts or seconds.

Especially when those rooks will have very limited off-season preparation to be rotation worthy.

Even with a summer league experience most rookies are unprepared for NBA basketball, so I'll take those rookie mistakes that will cost some games anyway. Don't think we should be too worried about it. As long as our top players don't face a lot of injuries the Celtics are making the playoffs in the Eastern Conference.

This is definitely the year to consolidate and move up or choose at 14 and off load picks 26 and 30 for future draft considerations and/or dumping some salary, like Poirier and Edwards.

I'm not against moving up if there's a guy the management really likes. Or trade for a future first. Don't think we have to trade picks to dump just 2-4 million in salary.