Poll

What contract would you give Derick White?

4/100, 25 million a year
1 (3.2%)
4/120, 30 million a year, his max extension
6 (19.4%)
4/140, 35 million a year
9 (29%)
4/160, 40 million a year
9 (29%)
4/180, 45 million a year
4 (12.9%)
4/200, 50 million a year (about his max if he goes all the way to free agency).
2 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: What do you think Derrick White is worth?  (Read 7865 times)

Re: What do you think Derick White is worth?
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2024, 06:10:00 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 376
Definitely $40m. But I think they would strongly consider giving him a max if someone else offered it to him. It would still be a tradable asset. Wyc better get ready to pay $640m for this roster  :laugh:

There's no doubt about it. If Brad continues with this squad, he will face Golden State type issues with the cap. Let's hope they can win this year before making tough decisions.

Until then, the Celtics are playing very good basketball and have hope that Porzingis will return.

What did GS pay up , 5-6 years of that groups ?  That owner said he d run em long as they were contenders. GS revenue what out of this universe during their heyday .  It paid for all the taxes and then some.

considering we paid Jrue, I have no doubts at all Brad will lock White up and that Wyc will pay for this roster.

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2024, 06:38:07 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 323
Definitely some overhype going on.  White is doing great but he's also benefiting by playing on a team loaded with talent.  He's worth Jrue's contract and maybe a bit more.  He's not a Max guy.  He's certainly not a #1 on a team.  Not sure which teams he'd even be #2.   

I thought it would be interesting to see where D White may rank on the other teams in the playoffs this year.

East

(2) New York = tied 3rd / 4th with Anunoby behind Brunson and Randle
(3) Milwaukee = 3rd behind Giannis and Lillard
(4) Cleveland = hard to say. A better fit next to D Mitchell than Garland is. I am not sure D White is better individually but I do like his fit better than Garland. You would trade Garland for a wing. Better than Mobley. Better than J Allen? Yeah, I think so. I'll go 2nd best player.

(5) Orlando = 2nd/3rd best player behind Banchero. Main guard on team. Competes with F Wagner for 2nd or 3rd option.
(6) Indiana = great fit next to Haliburton. Probably close in value to Siakam as 2nd best Pacers player. M Turner not far behind. Three fairly similar talents. A Big Four.
(7) Philly = 3rd best player behind Embiid and Maxey
[8] Miami = 3rd best player behind Jimmy and Bam

West

(1) Denver = 3rd best player behind Jokic and J Murray
(2) OKC = 3rd / 4th best player behind SGA and Jalen Williams. Chet is still developing. D White the 3rd best player now but maybe not for long. Maybe Chet overtakes him soon.
(3) Minny = 4th best player after Ant, Towns and Gobert
(4) Dallas = 3rd best player after Luka & Kyrie

(5) LAC = this is hard to say. I'd take Harden over D White. Kawhi is always injured. Is is fair to take Kawhi over D White? Certainly when healthy. But he is so injured. I'd take D White over PG13 at this point. I am that disappointed in his play. So White is either #2 or #3 depending on how you judge Kawhi and his injury proneness.

(6) Phoenix = #3 option behind Durant and D Booker
(7) New Orleans = #3 option behind Ingram and Zion. You could make a case for D White ahead of Ingram. He is a serial choker. I would take D White over McCollum as the 3rd option next to those two young scorers.
[8] LA Lakers = #3 option behind AD and LeBron.

#3 option on an awful lot of those teams.
#3 can often get max money.

Speaks highly of D White and his market value.
you are definitely overrating White.
I’m not sure about that. DWhite is currently playing like an all star. Jalen Brunson was overrated, until he wasn’t.

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2024, 08:55:49 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2978
Definitely $40m. But I think they would strongly consider giving him a max if someone else offered it to him. It would still be a tradable asset. Wyc better get ready to pay $640m for this roster  :laugh:

There's no doubt about it. If Brad continues with this squad, he will face Golden State type issues with the cap. Let's hope they can win this year before making tough decisions.

Until then, the Celtics are playing very good basketball and have hope that Porzingis will return.

What did GS pay up , 5-6 years of that groups ?  That owner said he d run em long as they were contenders. GS revenue what out of this universe during their heyday .  It paid for all the taxes and then some.

considering we paid Jrue, I have no doubts at all Brad will lock White up and that Wyc will pay for this roster.

This opportunity only comes together maybe couple times during an owners lifetime . He be a fool not to ride out this club and make his own history.   I d be so caught up as an owner Id go bankrupt to keep it going.

You only go around once.

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2024, 08:59:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1560
Definitely some overhype going on.  White is doing great but he's also benefiting by playing on a team loaded with talent.  He's worth Jrue's contract and maybe a bit more.  He's not a Max guy.  He's certainly not a #1 on a team.  Not sure which teams he'd even be #2.   

I thought it would be interesting to see where D White may rank on the other teams in the playoffs this year.

East

(4) Cleveland = hard to say. A better fit next to D Mitchell than Garland is. I am not sure D White is better individually but I do like his fit better than Garland. You would trade Garland for a wing. Better than Mobley. Better than J Allen? Yeah, I think so. I'll go 2nd best player.

(5) Orlando = 2nd/3rd best player behind Banchero. Main guard on team. Competes with F Wagner for 2nd or 3rd option.
(6) Indiana = great fit next to Haliburton. Probably close in value to Siakam as 2nd best Pacers player. M Turner not far behind. Three fairly similar talents. A Big Four.

West

(2) OKC = 3rd / 4th best player behind SGA and Jalen Williams. Chet is still developing. D White the 3rd best player now but maybe not for long. Maybe Chet overtakes him soon.

(5) LAC = this is hard to say. I'd take Harden over D White. Kawhi is always injured. Is is fair to take Kawhi over D White? Certainly when healthy. But he is so injured. I'd take D White over PG13 at this point. I am that disappointed in his play. So White is either #2 or #3 depending on how you judge Kawhi and his injury proneness.

(7) New Orleans = #3 option behind Ingram and Zion. You could make a case for D White ahead of Ingram. He is a serial choker. I would take D White over McCollum as the 3rd option next to those two young scorers.

I’m not sure about that. DWhite is currently playing like an all star. Jalen Brunson was overrated, until he wasn’t.
Brunson was not overrated and was always better than White.

White is a good player, can fit in many systems, and would be great to keep. But White is also not a 1st, 2nd, or maybe even 3rd option type player.  He has no elite skills and is not a difference maker.  He will also be 30 when next year starts.  I'd love to keep him, but if he gets much more than Jrue got, it will be a pretty significant overpay.  The team simply can't sustain paying 5 guys 25% or more of the cap either.  Just too much money for expected production.

As for my overrating comment, calling White better than someone like Garland is ridiculous.  I think Mobley is better as well, but that is at least closer.  Holmgren is clearly already better than White. OG is better than White. I think right now, Middleton and White are very similar level if players. Franz Wagner is significantly better than White and frankly with how good Suggs on ball defense is, he might be better as well (Suggs also scores at basically the same rate in the 1.32 points per shot range). White isn't better than Beal, nor Ingram or McCollum either.  White is a nice fine all around player, but he isn't a difference maker, he isn't a reliable enough scoter to be a 3rd option. I'd be happy to keep him, but you can't break the bank and I do think the team chose Jrue over him, because I just don't think they will pay White what Jrue got and you basically have to optically.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2024, 09:01:16 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
We have 5 stars on this team in my mind.  White is that valuable right now.

If Lakers had this group , anybody think they would blink one second to keep all key players on the team,  owners now see this the way to a title .

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2024, 11:07:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

East

West

White is a good player, can fit in many systems, and would be great to keep. But White is also not a 1st, 2nd, or maybe even 3rd option type player.  He has no elite skills and is not a difference maker. He will also be 30 when next year starts.  I'd love to keep him, but if he gets much more than Jrue got, it will be a pretty significant overpay.  The team simply can't sustain paying 5 guys 25% or more of the cap either.  Just too much money for expected production.

As for my overrating comment, calling White better than someone like Garland is ridiculous.  I think Mobley is better as well, but that is at least closer.  Holmgren is clearly already better than White. OG is better than White. I think right now, Middleton and White are very similar level if players. Franz Wagner is significantly better than White and frankly with how good Suggs on ball defense is, he might be better as well (Suggs also scores at basically the same rate in the 1.32 points per shot range). White isn't better than Beal, nor Ingram or McCollum either.  White is a nice fine all around player, but he isn't a difference maker, he isn't a reliable enough scoter to be a 3rd option. I'd be happy to keep him, but you can't break the bank and I do think the team chose Jrue over him, because I just don't think they will pay White what Jrue got and you basically have to optically.

White is a difference maker.  He's the second leading scorer on a playoff team that is destroying its competition.  He also has "elite skills", on both ends of the court.

And seriously?  You'd rather have Brad Beal than White?  Stuff like that just diminishes your credibility.

Reminder:  22.8 points, 57.5% FG%, 50.0% 3pt%, .736 eFG% (leads NBA), 90.0% FT%, .749 TS% (leads NBA), .340 WS/48 (leads NBA), 9.2 OBPM (leads NBA)

It's hard to argue that White isn't a difference maker.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2024, 11:26:01 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2426
Beal vs D White

Some of this depends on fit. Beal provides volume scoring at medium efficiency whereas D White provides better non-scoring contributions and more efficient complementary scoring. That is a better fit as a 3rd option alongside two high usage scorers like D-Booker and Durant.

There might be some combinations where Beal's high volume medium efficiency scoring is more valuable as a 3rd option. Where one of the top two players are not a prime time scoring threat.

D White vs Garland / Mobley

I'll start with Mobley. I am not as high on Mobley. I have clear 4th on the Cavs pecking order behind both Garland and Jarrett Allen. His ofensive game isn't developed enough. His defense is very impressive but as an overall two-way player Mobley simply is not as good as D White.

Garland vs D White is a tougher one. The point I made above was more related to fit than individual talent. Essentially that D White was a better fit alongside D Mitchell than Garland was. That D White and D Mitchell would be a better backcourt duo because they fit each other's games better.

Garland is a bit similar to the Beal question. Not the same but similar. I like Garland better actually. He has a very nice game but is somewhat limited by D Mitchell's presence. I have seen some mention him as a possible target for San Antonio next to Wemby. That would be fun.

Garland is far more creative and a far superior offensive player than D White is. Both as a scorer and as a playmaker. They are not close on that end of the floor. Neither are they close on the other end. Garland is a weak defender and D White a high level one. I would say they start to push each other close overall.

It depends a bit more on team needs. Whether you need a high volume creative PG or a well-rounded PG. I would say on most teams Garland would be preferred over White although for the Cavs I would D White over Garland in a choice between the two.

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2024, 11:26:18 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4595
Worth is determined by what some team would pay you on the open market.

It doesn't matter if White is (or is projected to be) only the 3rd or 4th best player on a team, what would it cost to get him on the open market, what is a team willing to pay?

Philly gave 33 year old Al Horford a starting salary of $28m against a $109m salary cap.  That's 26% of the cap.

Milwaukee gave 31 year old Jrue a starting salary of $30m against a $112m salary cap.  That's 27% of the cap.

Miami gave 35 year old  Kyle Lowry a starting salary of $27m against a $112m salary cap.  That's 24% of the cap.

Call it an overpay, but that's the championship tax contenders are willing to pay for marginal improvement to their championship odds.

On the flip side, 29 year old Fred VanVleet just got $40m against a $136m cap to be a top player on a rebuilding team.  That's 30% of the cap.

So here we have White.  A bigger (6'4") All-D combo guard, and as a baseline can give you 15/5/4/1/1 with 90% (FT) and 40% (3P) shooting splits (and that's at under 33 mins a game, per 36 looks even better).  He's a minimal injury risk, with 0 chemistry or public image concerns, an advanced stats darling that you hope could put up even better stats in a bigger role, but also doesn't need the ball to be effective, and would likely fit in any system. Every possible thing a front office could look at for a non-superstar, he checks the box for.

I could see both contenders looking to get over the hump, and rebuilding teams looking for a good player to put next to a budding superstar going after White.

When White's a free agent (2025-26), the cap is expected to be $155.1m, and 25% of that cap is $39m.  It all depends on which teams have cap room, but I'd expect White to get an offer of ~$40m (at least).

The Celtics might not pay him that, but I think some team would, so that's his worth.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 11:51:31 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2024, 01:09:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Just as a reminder Bradley Beal as a 3rd option, averaged 18.2 ppg, 5.0 apg, and 4.4 rpg. He shot 43% from 3, 56.2% from 2, and 81.3% from the line for a TS% of 60.7%.  White averaged 15.2 ppg, 5.2 apg, and 4.2 rpg, on 39.6% from 3, 55.5% from 2, and 90.1% from the line. His TS% a nearly identical 61.1% with the main difference being the 6.8 3's for White to 4.4 3's for Beal. So more 3's but a worse percentage. White is a better defender, but Beal is the better outside shooter (both this year and historically) and Beal has shown the ability to be the defenses focal point so I do rhink he is a better overall player.

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2024, 01:11:00 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 565
Worth is determined by what some team would pay you on the open market.

It doesn't matter if White is (or is projected to be) only the 3rd or 4th best player on a team, what would it cost to get him on the open market, what is a team willing to pay?

Philly gave 33 year old Al Horford a starting salary of $28m against a $109m salary cap.  That's 26% of the cap.

Milwaukee gave 31 year old Jrue a starting salary of $30m against a $112m salary cap.  That's 27% of the cap.

Miami gave 35 year old  Kyle Lowry a starting salary of $27m against a $112m salary cap.  That's 24% of the cap.

Call it an overpay, but that's the championship tax contenders are willing to pay for marginal improvement to their championship odds.

On the flip side, 29 year old Fred VanVleet just got $40m against a $136m cap to be a top player on a rebuilding team.  That's 30% of the cap.

So here we have White.  A bigger (6'4") All-D combo guard, and as a baseline can give you 15/5/4/1/1 with 90% (FT) and 40% (3P) shooting splits (and that's at under 33 mins a game, per 36 looks even better).  He's a minimal injury risk, with 0 chemistry or public image concerns, an advanced stats darling that you hope could put up even better stats in a bigger role, but also doesn't need the ball to be effective, and would likely fit in any system. Every possible thing a front office could look at for a non-superstar, he checks the box for.

I could see both contenders looking to get over the hump, and rebuilding teams looking for a good player to put next to a budding superstar going after White.

When White's a free agent (2025-26), the cap is expected to be $155.1m, and 25% of that cap is $39m.  It all depends on which teams have cap room, but I'd expect White to get an offer of ~$40m (at least).

The Celtics might not pay him that, but I think some team would, so that's his worth.

I'm not so much asking what people think he will get, I'm asking what you personally think he SHOULD get. Predicting how the market will rate a player is just so hard. It depends on who has cap space, what they need from a player, ect.

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2024, 01:11:55 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
All five of our best plays plus AL and Pp and Hauser get on really well , everyone is settled into their niche . Everybody plays defense .

Everyone seems to be getting what they need in top 8 rotation in terms of success and support from the FO . 

Brad has to be careful adding or subtracting players , especially the top five.  It’s rare to find a complete happy crew .

Just pay em. 

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2024, 01:12:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

East

West

White is a good player, can fit in many systems, and would be great to keep. But White is also not a 1st, 2nd, or maybe even 3rd option type player.  He has no elite skills and is not a difference maker. He will also be 30 when next year starts.  I'd love to keep him, but if he gets much more than Jrue got, it will be a pretty significant overpay.  The team simply can't sustain paying 5 guys 25% or more of the cap either.  Just too much money for expected production.

White is a difference maker.  He's the second leading scorer on a playoff team that is destroying its competition.  He also has "elite skills", on both ends of the court.

And seriously?  You'd rather have Brad Beal than White?  Stuff like that just diminishes your credibility.

Reminder:  22.8 points, 57.5% FG%, 50.0% 3pt%, .736 eFG% (leads NBA), 90.0% FT%, .749 TS% (leads NBA), .340 WS/48 (leads NBA), 9.2 OBPM (leads NBA)

It's hard to argue that White isn't a difference maker.
ah yes 6 game sample sizes where White shoots way better than any time in his career matter.  I mean we must not need Tatum since he is onky the 3rd leading scorer in the playoffs.

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2024, 01:14:12 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 565
To answer my own question I'd feel very comfortable giving him 35 million per year, and I'd go as high as 40. Especially with where the cap is going the next few years. That said those numbers are higher than the max they can offer him. I just have no idea if he'll take the max extension they can offer him. Its a lot of money, but it seems likely he'll get more as of right now. That said it is a risk for him to wait another year.

He won't shoot 50% from three for the entire playoffs, but he now has two full seasons of 38-39% from three on good volume so the shot seems real. That's completely changed his ceiling as an offensive player.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 01:21:32 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2024, 05:29:56 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2559
This argument illustrates why DW won’t be traded (assuming he signs here). His worth to Boston is a top 20 player, but no one is going to trade a top 20 player for him. To Boston, anything less would be selling low. 

Players who work in your system and mesh with your culture have more value than better skilled players whose fit is unknown.

DW is a better fit than Beal would be. That’s  a guess not a known.  That makes Derrick a better player than Beal in this context even if he is less skilled.  IMO that’s all that matters.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 05:39:16 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2024, 07:17:41 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 323

East

West

White is a good player, can fit in many systems, and would be great to keep. But White is also not a 1st, 2nd, or maybe even 3rd option type player.  He has no elite skills and is not a difference maker.  He will also be 30 when next year starts.  I'd love to keep him, but if he gets much more than Jrue got, it will be a pretty significant overpay.  The team simply can't sustain paying 5 guys 25% or more of the cap either.  Just too much money for expected production.

You’re all over the place. You are talking about expected production, then discussing Bradley Beal as better than D White. You think Beal’s best days are ahead of him? Did you see him in PHX? White could definitely have better stats in SA, but he got traded to a loaded team. Also, why do you tend to gloss over defense?