Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450158 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #975 on: September 25, 2018, 04:06:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Word filter: I am all for censorring the word d-a-m-n. But having having the word d-a-m-n-i-n-g turned into danging as well as d-a-m-n-e-d into danged feels a bit silly, it can actually distort the meaning in some situations.

Big333223 recently mentioned a similar problem with links: if a censored word appears in a link, the link becomes useless.

The swears in links thing is pretty hard to fix.  The filter replaces words automatically, and there's no option to not have that apply to the links.  If a swear word is filtered by the software, it will be filtered anywhere in the forum.

I think with Jeff no longer affiliated with the blog, there's some slight wiggle room to discuss our rules, although overall I like where they're at.

If we stick to the Carlin rules for profanities and other obvious sexual references I think we might be OK.

the aformentioned one and the place where sinners are rumored to go after they die seem ok to me, but I'm a potty mouth.

Yeah, I've already started saying "hell", when before I tried to use other words for Jeff's sake.

The harsher version of "dang" is a closer call for me, because I know to some Christian folk it's a pretty [dang] serious word.  And p--- is another one on the borderline.

What the hell?  I didn't even know we could say hell!

What  about words derived  from [dang] such as [dang]ing, as in "[dang]ing indictment". I could be wrong, but in this use the word is not associated with Christian beliefs.

Is it possible to choose to filter [dang] but not filter [dang]ing? I'm asking bcs I imagine it should be possible in theory. If not, then my suggestion above is pointless.

I don't believe there are negative filters.  Once you have the root word in there you're out of luck.  Hence, no ****take mushrooms or ****zu dogs etc...

Oh well, the hell with it then.

It's nice to have hell to fall back on anyhow.
Yup

« Reply #976 on: September 25, 2018, 04:07:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Word filter: I am all for censorring the word d-a-m-n. But having having the word d-a-m-n-i-n-g turned into danging as well as d-a-m-n-e-d into danged feels a bit silly, it can actually distort the meaning in some situations.

Big333223 recently mentioned a similar problem with links: if a censored word appears in a link, the link becomes useless.

The swears in links thing is pretty hard to fix.  The filter replaces words automatically, and there's no option to not have that apply to the links.  If a swear word is filtered by the software, it will be filtered anywhere in the forum.

I think with Jeff no longer affiliated with the blog, there's some slight wiggle room to discuss our rules, although overall I like where they're at.

If we stick to the Carlin rules for profanities and other obvious sexual references I think we might be OK.

the aformentioned one and the place where sinners are rumored to go after they die seem ok to me, but I'm a potty mouth.

Yeah, I've already started saying "hell", when before I tried to use other words for Jeff's sake.

The harsher version of "dang" is a closer call for me, because I know to some Christian folk it's a pretty [dang] serious word.  And p--- is another one on the borderline.

What  about words derived  from [dang] such as [dang]ing, as in "[dang]ing indictment". I could be wrong, but in this use the word is not associated with Christian beliefs.

Is it possible to choose to filter [dang] but not filter [dang]ing? I'm asking bcs I imagine it should be possible in theory. If not, then my suggestion above is pointless.

There's a workaround, but it's not particularly practical.

I believe you have the option of filtering only whole words.  For instance, d--- would be censored, but d----ing wouldn't be.  Unfortunately,  you can't set it for individual words; it's either you never censor partial words, or you always do.

That means that if you really want to filter out the f-word, the c-word, etc., that you'd have to manually filter out any derivative you can think of: f-s, f-ing, f-face, f-er, etc., etc.  It's not a practical solution, necessarily.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #977 on: September 25, 2018, 04:08:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don't believe there are negative filters.  Once you have the root word in there you're out of luck.  Hence, no ****take mushrooms or ****zu dogs etc...

Ha.  Trust me, I'm sure it would have been filtered if not for it being so common within words:  hello, shell, etc.

And then there's the other word for rear end, which wasn't filtered because the word "assist" is fairly important on a basketball blog.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #978 on: September 25, 2018, 04:25:29 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Ha.  Trust me, I'm sure it would have been filtered if not for it being so common within words:  hello, shell, etc.

And then there's the other word for rear end, which wasn't filtered because the word "assist" is fairly important on a basketball blog.

If we're talking about the filter, any chance that a certain 4 letter acronym could be let through? The filter messes up words like re****l

Edit: the word I'm trying to write is r e s t f u l
I'm bitter.

« Reply #979 on: September 28, 2018, 08:16:23 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
I find it funny that sand bag is censored if spelled as one word.

I get censoring actual cuss words and obviously slurs, but db@g?   ::)

« Reply #980 on: September 28, 2018, 08:18:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I found it funny that sand bag was censored

Ha.  Yeah, that's not an obvious problem at first.

But, the term itself isn't going to be uncensored.  It's not a particularly nice word.

« Reply #981 on: September 28, 2018, 10:09:15 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
********[dang]****ass
Just checking.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #982 on: September 28, 2018, 11:51:51 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
do the mods have the ability to zap posts? And should a mod be able to suspend a poster because the poster calls out the mod without any offensive words?

« Reply #983 on: September 28, 2018, 11:58:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
do the mods have the ability to zap posts? And should a mod be able to suspend a poster because the poster calls out the mod without any offensive words?
Not relating to any rules, but did this happen to you?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #984 on: September 29, 2018, 12:23:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Mods delete posts all the time, and “calling out” posters isn’t allowed, including mods. While I’m not sure exactly what the post said, it was deleted by two separate staff members.  And are you asking prospectively about a suspension?

Reading the rules is a good place to start.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 12:36:10 AM by Roy H. »

« Reply #985 on: September 29, 2018, 01:20:32 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Not relating to any rules, but did this happen to you?

yeah..... just seeking clarification. GO CELTICS!!!!

« Reply #986 on: September 29, 2018, 01:41:09 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Is it still okay to cuss during Game Threads in those "heat of the moment" situations and then just wash it away like nothing happened LOL

because it's still going to eventually be buried in those 40-50 pages in the GT anyway

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #987 on: September 29, 2018, 02:05:49 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is it still okay to cuss during Game Threads in those "heat of the moment" situations and then just wash it away like nothing happened LOL

because it's still going to eventually be buried in those 40-50 pages in the GT anyway
What I look for in game threads isn't frustration, but a game in and game out attack by posters on certain players or coaches that goes beyond frustration and appears to be trolling.

If you don't t like Kyrie or Smart or Morris or Stevens, venting your frustration every once in a while during the game is normal. But when you attack that person every game regardless of how well that person played or coached, that to me is trolling and needs to be addressed. First a quick PM. If it continues, a stern warning. If the person wants to keep doing it after being asked nicely not to do it, then comes the suspensions.

« Reply #988 on: September 29, 2018, 08:07:49 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

It’s never allowed, but it’s usually not going to get somebody in trouble. If we see it, we delete it, and usually won’t even mention it to you.

However, if it’s a serial issue, or if the profanity is particularly clear (for instance, an intentional attempt to display the f-word by circumventing the filter) consequences could be more harsh.

« Reply #989 on: September 29, 2018, 09:46:07 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Mods delete posts all the time, and “calling out” posters isn’t allowed, including mods. While I’m not sure exactly what the post said, it was deleted by two separate staff members.  And are you asking prospectively about a suspension?

Reading the rules is a good place to start.

ha ha ha....always good to plan ahead roy.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva