Author Topic: Does our bench suck?  (Read 17951 times)

Re: Does our bench suck?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 08:18:54 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
A slasher doesn't replace a perimeter shooter, nor is there a need for there to be a replacement. It's a different look and it brings DIFFERENT elements that are just as important.

Our bench has been playing better than it was last year, and yet we won a title with it.

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 08:36:04 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
does our bench suck?

No, but they are inconsitant at the moment. I mean, how soon we forget, the bench WAS our road trip. They looked fine then, but the last two games, everyone has been down.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 09:06:05 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Does the bench suck?  Just the other day everyone was saying we had the the best bench in the league.

You can't have stellar games every game.

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 09:14:28 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I haven't been able to watch the last few games, but reading the news accounts and box scores, our bench seems unable to do  much of anything, especially on offense.  Aside from one nice game from Tony Allen the bench has really been anemic.  Doc or Danny should consider some kind of shake up if this trend continues. I know that it sounds like sour grapes after winning 8/9, but surely you have been wondering the same thing out there, Celtic fan.

Could not agree less if it were possible. A few games ago people were saying how cohesive our bench was. Gorman was all over the TV saying this team could be even better because of how well the bench is playing. In more than a few games thus far our starters have not started so well and our bench has come in and picked up the slack and erased deficits and/or extended leads. BBD's post defense has been tremendous on big men. Powe has been for the most part outhustling bigger guys every night. House, while his shot hasn't come around yet(and really, is there anyone foolish enough to believe he's gonna continue to shoot 22% from 3 for the year??) he's been playing solid defense and bringing the ball up the floor and getting the team into the offense without incident(something considered to be an issue coming into this year). Hey sometimes players have bad games. Paul pierce has bad games. But yeah, with all due respect, watch the games. Boxscores don't always do the player's performances justice.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 09:28:04 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Does the bench suck?  Just the other day everyone was saying we had the the best bench in the league.

You can't have stellar games every game.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Exactamundo. Fighting the urge to issue knee-jerk reactions is hard. One thing though I'd like to see that I saw a bunch durin preseason is Pruitt on the floor in stretches with Eddie House. House had a terrific preseason shooting the rock not JUST being relegated to kickouts as been the case for the most part this season thus far. In the preseason, House was coming off more curls and screens and picks set for him to get his offense going. There's no reason you can't run a play to look for Eddie House's offense. Basically allow him to play both guard spots during the game.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 09:30:55 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Anyone that says the bench sucks has just been looking at box scores, which is why this thread was started.  True, they've been inconsistent offensively.  But they've done exactly what you want your bench to do.  Give the team a spark and keep it close for when the starters come back in.  Doc was able to keep KG on the bench until 5 minutes left in the 4th.  Powe and Davis have improved a lot from last year on the defensive end to give Doc the trust in them to get the job done on that end while KG and Perk are out.  I don't think he had that same confidence last year.  And it's just like the starters.  They're not always on offensively, but as long as they're play tough defense and rebounding and limit turnovers, they're always in the game.

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 09:36:41 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
That's true, as I stated, it was based on the box scores, which showed feeble offensive contributions from the bench the last several games. Obviously if the bench has been playing great defense, I miss that in the box scores. 

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 09:47:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think the problem with our bench is not that it sucks, quite the opposite it is a very good bench, but it is very young. With the exception of Eddie House and Sam Cassell and Brian Scalabrine, of which the latter two barely play and are really players number 14 and 15 on this roster, our bench consists of an inconsistent 5th year pro who really is a third year pro if counting the fact that he missed most of two years due to injury, two third year pros, two second year pros, and two rookies.

That's a lot of youth who are being counted on to be role players and get on the floor and provide consistent results within an inconsistent time frame. It's very difficult to ask of young players and yet due to the talent and intelligence of our young bench players the Celtics have been able to succeed. But, like all young people, they will be inconsistent.

Couple that with the fact that since March of last year Eddie House has been in a terrible regular season slump, and we should expect strings of great games followed by strings of not so great games.

This, for me, is where I believe Danny went wrong this off season. I would have preferred consistent experienced pros where you would know what to expect most games and not some of the inconsistent youth with low risk, high upside potential.

But we have to go forward with what we have and are lucky to have the best, most defensive efficient starting five in the league and one of the by products of a youthful, inconsistent bench is there will be days where the starters will need to carry this team and play extra minutes. Hopefully it won't burn out the starters and the youth will develop.

I'm encouraged by what I see and hope that the bench will play more like the group from the first 7 games and less like the bunch that has played the last two games.

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 09:47:32 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
The bench does not suck, but they are not perfect either.

I really like the Powe-Davis combination down low. Both guys play with a lot of energy, beat the heck out of the oponent physically, and show flashes on offense (Powe's post game and Baby's 15 footer). At the very least, O'Bryant is 6 fouls on the Howard's/Ming's/Bynum's of the playoffs.

Our backup pointguard position is pretty secure for the short and long term between Cassell and Pruitt.

The wings are set for the long term between Walker and Giddens, but the short term issues are troubling. Allen is effective offensively in spurts, but lacks consistency and and outside shot. His liabilities defending small forwards and big guards (length)are more than offset by his tenacity.

I get the feeling that the old Scal-Allen-House combination will be shipped to a team looking to dump an expensive wing before the season ends.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
The bench does not suck, but they are not perfect either.

I really like the Powe-Davis combination down low. Both guys play with a lot of energy, beat the heck out of the oponent physically, and show flashes on offense (Powe's post game and Baby's 15 footer). At the very least, O'Bryant is 6 fouls on the Howard's/Ming's/Bynum's of the playoffs.

Our backup pointguard position is pretty secure for the short and long term between Cassell and Pruitt.

The wings are set for the long term between Walker and Giddens, but the short term issues are troubling. Allen is effective offensively in spurts, but lacks consistency and and outside shot. His liabilities defending small forwards and big guards (length)are more than offset by his tenacity.

I get the feeling that the old Scal-Allen-House combination will be shipped to a team looking to dump an expensive wing before the season ends.

doubt they give eddie a 2 year extension just to toss him into a trade latter, sam ewith TA.

You trade bait is the rooks, pruitt, scal and baby IMO. scal and baby are probley the only one in thier other teams want as of now.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 10:05:10 AM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
alright folks! long time lurker first time poster.  i decided to pop my cherry in this thread b/c I agrued w/myself about this very topic last night.  i think the bench right now is pretty much league average but has great upside (atleast 6-9).  This bench needs three things to succeed:
1) Come playoff time they need a vetran post presence. McDyess is available now but looks like he's heading back to Detroit.  PJ may be available.  Then there are buy-out/mid-winter trad guys .  Out of the potentially avaialbe group I like Jeff Foster. Hibbert is behind him and if they fall out of contention early he may be available. It might take one of the Giddens/Walker/Pruit/BBD crew to get it done but 3 of them don't play and the other is addition by subbtraction.  
2) They need a shooter.  Floor spacing was key to the bench's success last year.  Doc has tried to do this w/Ray, Eddie and TA this year it some nights it works but most it doesn't.  They need a sniper.  I would love to see Korver/Barbosa/Kapono join the green but that's not happening.  Danny needs to find the 03 Kevin Millar of outside shooters.
3) A big reason why they need another shooter is Tony is incapable of playing w/in himself.  Last year when Doc would spread the floor w/Posey & House and have PP slash the ball would get kicked out and swung to the open man.  This year when TA slashes either an off balance shot is thrown up or he dribbles too much trying to find his out and the shot clock winds down (happened 3 times last night).  He needs to understand that he is a defense first player that can score rather than a scorer that plays defense. If he doesn't what is his value on the trade market?  Can we get a vet big for him and can Walker/Giddens slide into his role by then?  

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 10:08:52 AM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
sorry about how poorly written that was.  i was too excited to post for the first time here and got sloppy!

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 10:09:25 AM »

Offline GreenPride

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
i've watched all the games so far and i disagree.  I think our bench has been strong especially on the defensive side.  Our bench is playing better defense than our starters.  We've been behind in almost every game right off the bat, and when Doc goes to the bench they usually hold them and we start chipping away.  Just look at the last 5 games or so....it seems we've been behind by at least 10 before they even go to the bench and then we come back late in the second quarter.  I think Powe and T.A. have been playing great.  House started off really poor but he's turned it on the last few games and has hit some key jumpers.  Big Baby has also impressed me with his hustle and jump shots.  I'm really not sure what you expect from the bench...but i think they are better than what we had last year (even with Posey).  

My biggest concern is players getting in foul trouble...especially Perkins.  I swear he has 3 to 4 every game by halftime.  It drives me nuts.  

Hopefully we can convince McDyess to come for some backup!

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »

Offline thecaptain34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
On Paper, our bench is flat out terrible....But yes they really get down and dirty defensively - as good or better than anyone in the league. But cmon guys Tony allen is a disaster and Leon Powe/BBD/House are our best players off the pine with 6 guys that cant offer the team anything.
we either need to make some kind of move, or get one of the 6 guys that isnt contributing at all right now, pull their head out of their butt and get em going....Bill Walker? Gabe Pruitt? POB? ...these guys need to be worked into the rotation..at least one of them
And Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. is with Patrick O Bryant? did we sign him to rot on the bench or what?
Darius Miles is looking good right about now...sorry but I guarantee you he'd contribute more than Scal, POB 2 rookies and a guy that cant decide whether or not he can play or wants to coach (Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. IS GOING ON WITH CASSELL)

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 11:02:29 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
On Paper, our bench is flat out terrible....But yes they really get down and dirty defensively - as good or better than anyone in the league. But cmon guys Tony allen is a disaster and Leon Powe/BBD/House are our best players off the pine with 6 guys that cant offer the team anything.
we either need to make some kind of move, or get one of the 6 guys that isnt contributing at all right now, pull their head out of their butt and get em going....Bill Walker? Gabe Pruitt? POB? ...these guys need to be worked into the rotation..at least one of them
And **** is with Patrick O Bryant? did we sign him to rot on the bench or what?
Darius Miles is looking good right about now...sorry but I guarantee you he'd contribute more than Scal, POB 2 rookies and a guy that cant decide whether or not he can play or wants to coach (**** IS GOING ON WITH CASSELL)

we signed him (pob) as a prospect.

sam is more valuable on the bench, if he suits, pruitt sits.

pruitt and walker will work in, this is pretty par for the course with doc, young guys, even those looking good at practice, don't play early. and when they do start to get minutes, its little blips.

also, as a heads up, i'd watch the masked profanities, thier against TOS.  ;)