Author Topic: Tatum's Clutch Shot vs the Knicks  (Read 4719 times)

Re: Tatum's Clutch Shot vs the Knicks
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 06:36:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I bet Pierce was grinning from ear to ear over that shot .  It was exactly how he did things , punish the oppoent , screw with their heads and back it up , Im coming to win the game and YOU can't stop me ....Kobe was simular...Bird  .  Tatum oozes confidence.

What will he be like at 25 yrs old?   smh

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2018, 07:29:56 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
He seems to shoot a TON of mid range stuff. So is everyone at the moment. Should just be attacking the rim constantly. Dish or get fouled.

I'm grateful for these mid range shots. It takes more skill to get a good shot off in the midrange than it does hoisting 3's. This 3 point analytic era is a snooze fest. I appreciate the art of the midrange.

It’s pretty and artful, but is it as efficient?

The math is simple, but he needs to shoot 50% on those shots to reach the efficiency of a 33.3% 3PT shooter.

Don't get me wrong, i totally get the efficiency+math aspect of shooting 3's. The 3 point shot is worth more than 2. However, this is sports and ultimately the goal of sports is to entertain the viewers. Would i rather have 32 highly efficient, high scoring teams, or 32 low efficient, lower scoring, but entertaining to watch teams? I would take the latter.

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 07:32:43 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
He seems to shoot a TON of mid range stuff. So is everyone at the moment. Should just be attacking the rim constantly. Dish or get fouled.

I'm grateful for these mid range shots. It takes more skill to get a good shot off in the midrange than it does hoisting 3's. This 3 point analytic era is a snooze fest. I appreciate the art of the midrange.

The math is simple, but he needs to shoot 50% on those shots to reach the efficiency of a 33.3% 3PT shooter.

In general, yes a three point shot is more efficient than a long two point shot, because it's worth 50% more points but isn't 50% more difficult to make (the NBA probably needs to change this - but that's a different argument).

But not all three point shots are created equal.  Generally speaking, an open long two point shot is a more efficient shot than a contested three point shot.  Ideally, you'd like to shoot all threes or layups, but when the defense won't allow it, you take what they give you.  The teams that can find that balance between forcing the issue (trying to get layups/threes - at any cost), and taking the best open shot available, are the teams that have the most success.

The bottom line is, there is still plenty of value to be had from a good mid-range game.  Knowing how and when to use it is the more difficult part.

All fair points. Ultimately do we care more about teams winning/losing than we care about being entertained as viewers?

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

In general, yes a three point shot is more efficient than a long two point shot, because it's worth 50% more points but isn't 50% more difficult to make (the NBA probably needs to change this - but that's a different argument).

But not all three point shots are created equal.  Generally speaking, an open long two point shot is a more efficient shot than a contested three point shot.  Ideally, you'd like to shoot all threes or layups, but when the defense won't allow it, you take what they give you.  The teams that can find that balance between forcing the issue (trying to get layups/threes - at any cost), and taking the best open shot available, are the teams that have the most success.

The bottom line is, there is still plenty of value to be had from a good mid-range game.  Knowing how and when to use it is the more difficult part.

All fair points. Ultimately do we care more about teams winning/losing than we care about being entertained as viewers?
I know that I'd be happier if we won ugly than lost prettily
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2018, 02:16:50 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Someone mentioned yesterday Tatum's defense. Yes, against Magic he showed all his imature defensive moves. He bit on every flop from Fournier, Gordon and Vucevic. It's a looong way to an All Star level... 

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2018, 03:49:37 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Someone mentioned yesterday Tatum's defense. Yes, against Magic he showed all his imature defensive moves. He bit on every flop from Fournier, Gordon and Vucevic. It's a looong way to an All Star level...
I wrote about it.
He has a looong way to go.
Bites on fakes, gets bumped, does lose concentration after his own scores...
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2018, 06:43:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wrote about it.
He has a looong way to go.
Bites on fakes, gets bumped, does lose concentration after his own scores...
I want him to take a leaf out of Durant's book in terms of defensive impact. It took Durant quite some time to become even average as a defender though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2018, 10:16:54 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Don't get me wrong, i totally get the efficiency+math aspect of shooting 3's. The 3 point shot is worth more than 2. However, this is sports and ultimately the goal of sports is to entertain the viewers. Would i rather have 32 highly efficient, high scoring teams, or 32 low efficient, lower scoring, but entertaining to watch teams? I would take the latter.

Herm disagrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-iJUuPWis
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2018, 10:29:02 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton

Herm disagrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-iJUuPWis

For the players and coaches, their job is to win at all cost. For the viewers our job is to be entertained. There has to be a middle ground somewhere along those lines. I have no interest in being bored while watching my favorite sport. I want to be entertained and enthralled by it. My greatest wish (although it will never happen in my lifetime) is for free throws to be removed from the sport. Free throws are inherently boring to watch and serve no purpose for the viewer. 

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2018, 02:02:46 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Have you seen Harden's defense? At least Tatum tries and Harden is a superstar.