Author Topic: How does Chris Broussard still have a job?  (Read 6311 times)

Re: How does Chris Broussard still have a job?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 10:47:42 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Well Doc feels the same way...he called out ESPN specifically..lol

Dan Woike @DanWoikeSports
"It’s just stupid. My whole issue with any of that crap, that network, to me, reports a story they created." -- Doc Rivers on ESPN story

(more) "Then, they do reports on it for the next two days, on a story, they created. But, it's stupid."
6:27 PM - 4 Jan 2014

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1911392-doc-rivers-calls-blake-griffin-for-carmelo-anthony-trade-rumors-stupid?

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 10:50:49 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Good for Doc, I'm glad someone called these sportswriters out for making up rumors just so they can have a story.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 10:53:23 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Well Doc feels the same way...he called out ESPN specifically..lol

"It’s just stupid. My whole issue with any of that crap, that network, to me, reports a story they created." -- Doc Rivers on ESPN story

(more) "Then, they do reports on it for the next two days, on a story, they created. But, it's stupid."
6:27 PM - 4 Jan 2014

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1911392-doc-rivers-calls-blake-griffin-for-carmelo-anthony-trade-rumors-stupid?

Here's a great example via deadspin of THE WORLDWIDE LEADER doing this with football:
http://deadspin.com/how-espn-manufactures-a-story-colin-kaepernick-edition-1185400028

NSFW headline in the link when you click it:

Step 1: Ron Jaworski goes on SportsCenter Wednesday at a little after noon and says something absolutely ridiculous: "I truly believe Colin Kaepernick could be one of the greatest quarterbacks ever."

Step 2: SportsCenter replays that clip less than an hour later. "Strong words from Jaws!"

Step 3: A reporter at 49ers camp asks Colin Kaepernick, "Ron Jaworski said today he thought you could be the greatest quarterback of all-time, the best quarterback ever. How do you deal with praise and stuff in this off-season and what not?" That full question—and Kaepernick's response—are later broadcast on SportsCenter.

Step 4: Steve Levy goes on the 11 p.m. SportsCenter and talks about what Jaworski had to say.

Step 5: Steve Young comes on SportsCenter to do a spot on Jaws's opinion.

Step 6: San Francisco's ABC affiliate does a segment dedicated to it. ABC and ESPN are both owned by Disney.

Step 7: SportsCenter replays Jaws's hot take several times overnight. SportsCenter anchor Jonathan Coachman reports that Kaepernick is "humbly appreciative of all this greatest-ever talk." All this greatest-ever talk.

Step 8: The AP writes up a story about Jaworski's take. (So does SI.)

Step 9: ESPN picks up the AP story.

Step 10: ESPN puts the AP story on the front page of ESPN.com with the headline, "Jaworski praises Colin Kaepernick."

Step 11: ESPN Radio's Mike Golic plays the clip and dedicates one of his first segments to it on Thursday morning.

Step 12: A topic for the morning SportsCenter. "Jaws made a little bit of news yesterday!" Jaworski comes on with Adam Schefter to talk about what he said. And then Jaworski says that Kaepernick answered the question—that is, a question from the reporter about Jaworski's take—perfectly.

Step 13: Jaws goes on another edition of SportsCenter. "I'm going to stick to what I said!" he said, laughing hysterically.

Step 14: Jaworski goes on First Take to talk about it with Skip Bayless. "You put it on Tebow," Jaworski tells him.

This is the effect that ESPN has. This is the effect it has on the sports world. Create a meme, report it out, repeat it all day, and let the rest of the media world re-report it, which ESPN then re-re-reports. Wash, rinse, etc.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 12:02:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
He made his career hanging off of Lebron's jock, plus ESPN needs someone to make Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith look intelligent by comparison.

Stephen A. Smith used to be a pretty good beat writer, actually. Makes me sad.

A lot of the horrible national writers used to be pretty good beat writers and should still be listened to when talking about the teams they covered closely due to their good sources and ignored when they talk about anyone else.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 01:19:24 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
This is the same network that has on staff the illiterate jamele hill and keith olberdork.

They make Broussard look like Collins or VanGundy as an NBA commentator.