Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 241010 times)

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1965 on: March 05, 2020, 03:20:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kid needs to get his FT% up to 65-70%, at the very least, to avoid the Hack a Timelord that we saw against the Nets. Hate to see him become unplayable for large portions of 4th quarters of close games simply because he is a 55% free throw shooter.

He struggled against the Nets but looked great against Cleveland.

I still say he will assume the starting center spot sometime next season. He will develop to be that good. Just needs time on the court with his teammates playing his role and honing skills to be the best Timelord he can be.

« Reply #1966 on: March 05, 2020, 03:51:17 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I honestly thought he looked very good against the Nets and Cavs (obviously better against the Cavs). He is just a game changer when he is out there and, even if he does miss a defensive rotation, he is so quick and athletic that he seems to get to the right spot in time anyway. He is kind-of like the 'big' version of Jaylen Brown. I think the sky's the limit with this kid and am happy to see that he is putting in the work both in the weight room and film room.

« Reply #1967 on: March 05, 2020, 04:06:01 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I honestly thought he looked very good against the Nets and Cavs (obviously better against the Cavs). He is just a game changer when he is out there and, even if he does miss a defensive rotation, he is so quick and athletic that he seems to get to the right spot in time anyway. He is kind-of like the 'big' version of Jaylen Brown. I think the sky's the limit with this kid and am happy to see that he is putting in the work both in the weight room and film room.

That's the word for it. I love Daniel Theis and he has been really good for the Cs this year, but he is not a "game-changer."

Robert Williams is much more up and down than Theis, but he is a "game-changer."

« Reply #1968 on: March 05, 2020, 06:17:22 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
He's the future of the position for the Cs. I think he can be what Theis is offensively. I don't mean he would have all of the same skills offensively. What I mean is that I think he can keep the offense churning and moving through ball movement, hand-offs, pick-and-rolls, and pick-and-seals.

Defensively, the main question right now is whether the havoc he creates outweighs the defensive lapses and poor rotations. I think with a little more growth in this area, the scales would tip in his favor and his playing time goes up.
It comes down to whether the trusts you.  If the coach can't trust you, he won't play you in important situations no matter how much potential you have. 

« Reply #1969 on: March 05, 2020, 06:45:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

That's the word for it. I love Daniel Theis and he has been really good for the Cs this year, but he is not a "game-changer."

Robert Williams is much more up and down than Theis, but he is a "game-changer."

TIMELORD changes the way teams play offense because of his shot blocking and the threat of shot blocking. The ball has to go away from that space that TIMELORD occupies.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 07:10:07 PM by liam »

« Reply #1970 on: March 05, 2020, 07:33:23 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Kid needs to get his FT% up to 65-70%, at the very least, to avoid the Hack a Timelord that we saw against the Nets. Hate to see him become unplayable for large portions of 4th quarters of close games simply because he is a 55% free throw shooter.

I still say he will assume the starting center spot sometime next season. He will develop to be that good. Just needs time on the court with his teammates playing his role and honing skills to be the best Timelord he can be.

Agree with this. FT shooting has to get better for him to stay on the floor.

« Reply #1971 on: March 05, 2020, 07:42:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Agree with this. FT shooting has to get better for him to stay on the floor.

The one time they hacked him on purpose, he made both foul shots, by the way.

Sure, he needs to improve at the line.  He has missed so much time this season, we are dealing with a tiny sample size. His shooting mechanics have definitely improved although his shot is still a bit flat.  I think he is capable of achieving a high sixties/low 70's FT %.

« Reply #1972 on: March 09, 2020, 12:34:05 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

« Reply #1973 on: March 11, 2020, 11:33:06 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Any reason why RW3 didn't get any burn last night?  Was Brad sitting him out just to be careful with his back?  He was available to play.

« Reply #1974 on: March 11, 2020, 01:37:40 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Any reason why RW3 didn't get any burn last night?  Was Brad sitting him out just to be careful with his back?  He was available to play.

My guess is that the reasoning was twofold: 1) He was slightly dinged up and available in needed, but preferred rest, and 2) Sabonis is a terrible matchup for Williams because the pick-and-roll coverage is so nuanced against him. Sabonis played 41 minutes last night.

« Reply #1975 on: August 08, 2020, 01:42:16 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Bump!

Meaningful minutes in last night’s matchup.